Notices

Another smoky engine :( but everything seems fine....help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another smoky engine :( but everything seems fine....help!

I've had my turbo on my car for 2 months now (stock B16) and I just noticed it today, I get alot of smoke coming out the tailpipe at idle, like a very light grey smoke. I don't notice it during acceleration, and it doesen't happen on a cold engine, only when it warms up. I did a compression test today, and it reads 180 across all cylinders, there's no oil in the coolant, and no coolant in the oil, and I have no problem boosting, runs the same before I noticed this. Could this be a burnt out cat? I still have yet to tune my fuel map (still waiting on my wideband to get assembled) and am running rich up top, so could my cat have had enough of the fuel it could handle? Its a carsound cat btw.
also, the turbo runs the same as always, spools up & sounds the same as when I put it on, so I don't believe my turbo is shot. Plus its not blue smoke, the exhaust smells very sharp/strong, like it would coming out of the wastegate. I'm hoping its my cat, because anything else means $$$.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Another smoky engine :( but everything seems fine....help! (Canuk_SiR)

Are you running a cat???

It could be that, but since you say it´s at idle you can see it, I bet it´s blown turbo seals.......bad return setup maybe, or too much pressure at feed line.....
Old 06-06-2003, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Another smoky engine :( but everything seems fine....help! (BoostedMugen)

Ya, I've got a carsound cat on there...
and if it was the turbo seals, wouldn't it be blue smoke? My return setup flows straight down to the pan, using a 5/8" rubber tube.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another smoky engine :( but everything seems fine....help! (Canuk_SiR)

welcome to the smoky engine club. i'm also experiencing the same thing. no smoke when the engine is cold but it smoke once i drive above 3k rpm or slight boost. very wierd indeed and it's pissing me off!

what fuel management are you using and what viscosity oil?
Old 06-06-2003, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Another smoky engine :( but everything seems fine....help! (_Endless_)

I've got the aem ems, and 10w30 mobil1
Old 06-06-2003, 09:22 PM

same problem here my turbo is 6 months old a has 6k on it.
did a turbo on an other accord same problem also.
mine is turbonetics which i heard are know for blowing seals
the other turbo for the accord was used so i think the same
thing Bad turbo seals. mine blows smoke on the start up and cooling down
but never accelration"that i can see"?
Old 06-06-2003, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another smoky engine :( but everything seems fine....help! (filthy frank)

welcome to the world of running rich
Old 06-06-2003, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Another smoky engine :( but everything seems fine....help! (SiRkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiRkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">welcome to the world of running rich </TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you SAY Black bumper?
Old 06-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another smoky engine :( but everything seems fine....help! (filthy frank)

im just haggling him.
i have no idea what it could be.

but i wouldnt be surprised if its fuel
Old 06-06-2003, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another smoky engine :( but everything seems fine....help! (SiRkid)

I bet it is Turbo Seals. I have been on this for awhile and the only thing that i think it could be are the seals of the turbo... Where did you get your turbo? How many miles... Etc.

Mine and yours sound exactly the same, no smoke while accelerating, or at start up. But after beating on it a bit, you pull over and then it will start to smoke after sitting for a minute.

End-less, are you sure it is not jsut A/F mixture? I mean i think i blow a bit of smoke out but that is just b/c i am running 12.0:1(rich).

Does it smell like oil?? You can usually tell if it is oil or coolant... My smoke looks a bit greyish/blueish/whitish if that gives you any idea what color i am talking about. I guess it depends on the light.

Compression/Leakdown/Plugs look fine on my car.

Edit- I guess it could just be your cat too. Don't limit that out. Disconect your cat from your downpipe and see if it still smokes
Old 06-07-2003, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Another smoky engine :( but everything seems fine....help! (95c1v1cs1)

OK this is odd..Same problem as you guys...Brand new fully re-built turbo... smoked like hell at idle for a few days then stopped. Same details as you guys, never cold always smokes at idle after good-n-warm, never under any kind of acceleration will it smoke...And now it really doesn't do it that often after about 2 months now but it still does it ! Seems when its low on fuel or after a good long drive.

I DO NOT have a cat by the way. We have tried everything you can think of an have checked all known areas besides going into the motor. No clue, runs strong hard no probs other than nice smoke an black bumper. I also loose oil but not a drop coming from any leak anywhere on this car...It burns off !

I also have crappy oil pressure... I am using a Greddy electronic oil pressure gauge I know I should check it with a mechanical gauge to make sure the gauge is not off...Thing is when I crank it up the gauge reads 6psi of oil pressure then drops below 1psi at idle an when warm/hot. The gauge seems to be ok during normal driving (moves around normal) but nothing makes any sense. Smoke smoke smoke. I have heard its rings or valves, build up of carbon in the exhaust etc. but dunno...Guess I am gonna have to break off into her an find out.

Things not done :
Dyno Tuned
Checked rings
Old 06-07-2003, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another smoky engine :( but everything seems fine....help! (95c1v1cs1)

mine smells like burning oil and the color of the smoke is bluish white but could easily be mistaken at white. i'll try to drain my oil so the level would be in the middle of the dipstick like what honda recommend and see what happen.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:03 AM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a slight chance you may be experiencing a slight seal leak from the turbo and the oil has accumulated in the cat.

Just an idea.

HTH,

Len
Old 06-07-2003, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Another smoky engine :( but everything seems fine....help! (len)

One way to check is pull off your turbo and check if there is oil on the exaust turbine thats a sign???
Old 06-07-2003, 03:28 PM

Well I found the culprit to my problem. To make a long story short, my return line had a kink in it, and have a blown oil seal. There's oil between the dp and turbine flange, and a helluva lot of oil on the backside of the block. Let this be a lesson to anyone using a rubber return hose with any kind of bend in it....UPGRADE TO SOMETHING WITH A STIFFER WALL!!! Mine ran fine til this happened. Walls were stiff enough for the first bit, but after time with the heat, got weaker & softer, until it gave way and got a kink.

Well anyway, I got the kink out with some hose clamps, and I got rid of alot of the smoke, but it still smokes a bit. Oil seal is definitely the problem here. Now to look into a rebuild
Old 06-07-2003, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that sucks nuts.
you sure it needs a rebuild?(or new seals)
Old 06-08-2003, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey look on the bright side
at least its not the engine.
Old 06-08-2003, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Another smoky engine :( but everything seems fine....help! (Kamin)

yup, when I did the comp. test, I was so relieved.
If its a seal, it can't be that expensive, so I guess its not that bad. It sure is a kick in the nuts though.