Notices

Another GSR-T thread (help a noob out)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another GSR-T thread (help a noob out)

yeah, i know; "search", "it's been covered a million times". i just want feedback from people that have had more experiences with boost than i have. if that's not too much to ask . i was reading corky bell's maximum boost to de-noobify myself on turbos before the book was stolen .

i've seen a lot of threads on GSR-T builds on the internet in general, but none of them are like the set up i was going for. i am looking to do a 2.0 GSR-T set up, with a completely built motor for longevity; rebuild on the block and head, sleeved, port and polish, and bolt-ons with a pieced together set up mostly of Peak Boost's FTW kit.

It's going to be a daily driver so a good set up and good tune should make this a build to remember. 400hp/300tq give or take (depending on psi) is what im guessing the build will come out with. the last thing i wanna do is begin to melt my credit card and my engine in the next 6 months... or all in one shot.

on with the set up:

OEM rings and bearings
eagle rods
JE forged 9:1 pistons
Darton MID sleeves
ARP studs, cometic gasket
skunk 2 valvetrain w/ skunk2 stage 1 (or 2) turbo cams
AEM cam gears
skunk 2 intake manifold and TB (hondata heatsheild gasket lawl)
AEM fuel rail with greddy 440's (or 550's), fuel brought by walbro pump
CTR N1 crank pulley, AEM altenator pulley, Greddy belt
stage 2 clutch, act streetlite flywheel (12lb i think)
RS*R Exhaust Magic (its not a turboback but it sounds so juice)
Hasport b-series mounts and axles

then i would be off to the machine shop for port and polish, and have the crank counterweights knifed and have it all balanced and blueprinted.

questions:
-would stage 2 turbo cams affect drivability/idle dramatically?
-how much bore for 2000cc? could not find a displacement calculator online anywhere.
-should i match sizes exactly (i.e. 84mm pistons, gasket, and sleeves)?
-would i be able to run the car with it built this way N/A? until the turbo was pieced together?
-can you feel your wallet burning from just reading this thread so far? not a real budget build; i want to do it right the first time!

i'll briefly go over the turbo set up now so i can get some feedback so far.

it resembles the peak boost b-series ftw set up http://cheapturbo.stores.yahoo.net/hobtukit1.html except for:

Ramhorn manifold, downpipe and dumptube FTW package
spearco/greddy/peakboost intercooler (500 max hp)
still gunna run the T3/TO4E
44mm tial wastegate and an HKS SSQV purple or Syncronic
i think walbro makes the catch can system to replace PCV system
hondata s300 and a greddy timer

thanks for reading all this, flame where necessary, but some affirmation would be good too . let me know what i need to do to protect/finish my investment.

94 cx hatch with a d15b7 in it to get around right now .

Modified by SteamedRice at 10:46 PM 11/25/2007
Old 11-26-2007, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Another GSR-T thread (SteamedRice)

1 i would go with the jspec oem type r cams for the street
2 you can get around 2.0 liters with a 84mm bore. but you have to do some math, the formula is (in us uinits) Bore x Bore x Stroke x .7854 = ans x 4 = CID, then convert CID into Liters at http://www.csgnetwork.com/cubicinchlitercvt.html
3 if your gunna use 84mm pistons they normally arent exactly 84mm there a little less. when you send your block to the machine shop to get sleeved, send your piston. this way they can set up your piston to wall clearance correctly. and yes use the head gasket for the same bore size.
4 yes it would be a good idea to run the engine without the turbo to break it in. but remember because you changed so much internally you would have to get it tuned for n/a. then get it tuned again for boost
Old 11-26-2007, 03:13 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Another GSR-T thread (speedycrx)

ok im still reading but these stick out like sore thumbs.

DO NOT USE THE N1 PULLEY AND THE AEM POWER PULLEYS. unless you want your oil pump to self destruct.

second, if 400 is all you will ever want, it can be attained on stock sleeves. unless you plan on growing into them.

and you are definately not going to make 400whp on 440cc injectors.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:30 AM

wow your getting a lot of accessories. you dont really need cams just crank the boost up to 18psi and make 400whp. you are probably going to need bigger injectors than 550cc. cuz i got 440cc and im at 290whp and im getting close to my injectors limit.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (buster0371)

wow guys, thanks for all the positive feedback !

i wanted to run it N/A to let everything settle properly, mostly the cylinder walls and valve "seating". you make some valid points for me to go to the machine shop with my set up speedycrx, and the conversion chart/formula is pimp .

boostedcivicsir, have you had bad experiences with the N1 crank pulley? or the combination of the N1 pulley and AEM altenator pulley? and what would you suggest? i want torque numbers where i can get 'em you know? if i get more than 400 Whp dyno tuned on low boost i'll soil myself ; like i said before - i know my way around N/A, but i'm new to boost and they don't go over it in class much (auto tech school). idk how much boost is safe on stock sleeves, but i DO know that stock sleeves just weren't made to handle boost, so i'm doing the sleeve job to protect my investment. now let me clear this up, i'm not afraid of boost but i'm afraid of what boost could do if i dont do this properly. i would like to think this relies heavily on the tuning.

and lastly, what injectors can handle the job?

thanks again for the positive feed back. +1 for yall
Old 11-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SteamedRice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by buster0371 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow your getting a lot of accessories.</TD></TR></TABLE>
dood, i'm even getting a grounding wire kit lol! i hope to rock out at some local shows when i'm done and take it to the track. i'm going with a complete build because i think it's more reliable and last longer than 11psi on stock internals.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any suggestions on fuel injector sizes? and what t3/to4e trim and a/r to go with? i've read about what they mean, but could anyone that has had experience with turbo set ups reply to any of this?

Modified by SteamedRice at 11:45 AM 12/4/2007
Old 12-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 12-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.phearable.net/precisioninjectors.html

looked at that chart, it list injectors and how much horsepower each one can supported, so take that number and x4 to get the total. Also, that is how much power they can support at 90% duty cycle.

For your situation i would recommend RC 750's. They would meet your goal and allow you to expand.

Good price here

http://www.hondamarketplace.com/zerothread/1388343
Old 12-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (carrnut21)

+1
Old 12-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

while we are on the topic of fuel, what is the best in-tank pump to get? 255lph is not the real question, but walbro and other companies make high pressure pumps. should i be worried about getting a high pressure pump?

Modified by SteamedRice at 12:45 PM 12/4/2007
Old 12-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SteamedRice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">while we are on the topic of fuel, what is the best in-tank pump to get? 255lph is not the real question, but walbro and other companies make high pressure pumps. should i be worried about getting a high pressure pump?

Modified by SteamedRice at 12:45 PM 12/4/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, get the 255lph Walbro. That is the only fuel upgrade besides 525cc injectors on my setup. Simple install and proven to be reliable.

Also look into a fluidampr or ATI crank pulley, it was not in my budget but my engine builder talked me into it. Check out the thread in my sig, it may help answer some questions.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another GSR-T thread (SteamedRice)

Recommend you add an aftermarket oil pump gear to the list (i.e. Toda).

I have 84mm pistons in my GSR and displacement is at 1.9l if my math is correct.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It pretty much takes an 85mm Bore and an 89mm Stroke to get over 2000cc(true 2.0L), ends up somewhere around 2020cc
Old 12-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another GSR-T thread (Mr. Anderson)

cool set up slooogsr . resembles my build a LOT. i think the only difference is i'm going for a bit more power with the p&p, headwork and the GSR LSD Trans.. and it's going to be in a EG hatch lol! but anyways, are you having any problems with the Fluidampr crank pulley?

i appreciate all the feed back so far, i need to do this right the first time... not to mention the fact that i need to pick up another maximum boost copy since my last one got stolen .