Notices

aluminum exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aluminum exhaust

just wondering how the aluminum exhaust stand up and how the pricing is compared to stainless steel. TIA
Old 03-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: aluminum exhaust (turbolshatch)

it's cheaper and lighter than Stainless, but does'nt hold the heat as well.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: aluminum exhaust (Mugencrxsir1)

^^^ hes right. Steel piping will typically keep your exhaust hotter. Hotter gasses flow better.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mugencrxsir1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> does'nt hold the heat as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

bla bla bla ...

Full-Race Geoff guy has been using aluminum exhaust on his coupe and is fine.

Go for it.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:05 PM

What about heat? Since aluminum has a melting point of 900 degree's isn't that going to mess up any chance of using it reliably?
Old 03-14-2006, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: aluminum exhaust (VTteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^^ hes right. Steel piping will typically keep your exhaust hotter. Hotter gasses flow better. </TD></TR></TABLE>

.... so all those guys running 4" exhausts are losing power because they have horrible flow problems on their turbo'ed cars?

Maybe their is something far more important than maintaining the exhaust a few degrees warmer?

Pressure and temperature differentiation is far more important.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: aluminum exhaust (dasher)

i think i might go with the aluminum i am trying to keep the weight down. i was thinking of getting the downpipe is steel and the rest in aluminum or will it work for the downpipe aswell?
Old 03-14-2006, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What is the 6 extra pounds going to do for street car? Maybe if you were, SCCA......
Old 03-14-2006, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dasher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

.... so all those guys running 4" exhausts are losing power because they have horrible flow problems on their turbo'ed cars?

Maybe their is something far more important than maintaining the exhaust a few degrees warmer?

Pressure and temperature differentiation is far more important.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Notice I didnt remark at all about the size of the piping.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mugencrxsir1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is the 6 extra pounds going to do for street car? Maybe if you were, SCCA......</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think there is more of a diference then 6 pounds and when i am trying to stay whithin a class weight every pound help 6 pounds here 6 pounds there it adds up real quick
Old 03-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mugencrxsir1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is the 6 extra pounds going to do for street car? Maybe if you were, SCCA......</TD></TR></TABLE>

You must be running tiny exhaust if you only save 6 pounds going to alum.

There was just a post in the dr forum of bucks car. Steel exhaust weighed over 40lbs.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You must be running tiny exhaust if you only save 6 pounds going to alum.

There was just a post in the dr forum of bucks car. Steel exhaust weighed over 40lbs. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i saw that post he went from 40 pounds to 9 pounds that sounds like a worth while weight savings to me
Old 03-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbolshatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i saw that post he went from 40 pounds to 9 pounds that sounds like a worth while weight savings to me</TD></TR></TABLE>

No kidding. I want to do 4 inch alum on my car but i think it is going to be expensive as ****. If you find some good prices let me know
Old 03-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: aluminum exhaust (underpressure02)

i just made about a post about using aluminum for downpipe and exhaust. as for a downpipe, not a good idea, not saying it cant be done but just not a good idea. as for exhaust, once you get back out from under the engine bay, aluminum is a good choice, i was going to go that route, but have deiced to not even run exhaust all the way back. i will only be running a 4" ss downpipe. the price to me dosnt matter, i get piping for a very good price.

here is the thread, ekasey from burns stainless chimed in on my thread and gave me some numbers about the weight difference. heres the link. hope this helps your decision. but from what i have read and heard and been told, ss downpipe, aluminum exhaust. or just thin thin ss downpipe and exhaust. if you go with the thinner ss exhaust, it is not much heavier than if you go with the right thickness of aluminum that you should go with to be safe.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1557301
Old 03-14-2006, 07:08 PM

i think that their might be a difference in the sound also. unless you use a thick walled aluminum it might give off more noise through the piping
Old 03-14-2006, 07:23 PM

If an entire RSX cat-back can be 14lbs when made of stainless, then aluminum is not worth the hassle.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mikestypes)

who needs exhaust anyways
Old 03-15-2006, 04:56 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Notice I didnt remark at all about the size of the piping. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You were insinuating that a SS exhaust will help flow better because it will insulate the hot exhaust gasses better.

I was directly telling you that with turbo cars the "flow" quality of the exhaust matters very little in comparison to temperature /pressure differentiation.

That is why people gain power and have quicker spool while running a horrible flowing 4" exhaust.

It is also true that having greater temperature differentiation before and after(down-pipe and exhaust) will also see some insignificant gains in performance for turbo'd cars. But their are others factors to consider like heat in the engine bay and the fact that an AL down pipe will fall apart from the heat in no time.

An AL exhaust is a great advantage however in weight savings and one should not be concerned about the slightly cooler exhaust effecting flow quality as you suggested.

My 3" SS exhaust weighed in a hefty 38lbs so their would be significant weight loss for a 3" or 4" exhaust.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dasher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You were insinuating that a SS exhaust will help flow better because it will insulate the hot exhaust gasses better.

I was directly telling you that with turbo cars the "flow" quality of the exhaust matters very little in comparison to temperature /pressure differentiation.

That is why people gain power and have quicker spool while running a horrible flowing 4" exhaust.

It is also true that having greater temperature differentiation before and after(down-pipe and exhaust) will also see some insignificant gains in performance for turbo'd cars. But their are others factors to consider like heat in the engine bay and the fact that an AL down pipe will fall apart from the heat in no time.

An AL exhaust is a great advantage however in weight savings and one should not be concerned about the slightly cooler exhaust effecting flow quality as you suggested.

My 3" SS exhaust weighed in a hefty 38lbs so their would be significant weight loss for a 3" or 4" exhaust.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, apparently you read a little more into the original question than I did. I gave my answer based on the reasoning that, all factors being equal, a steel exhaust will keep gasses hotter than an aluminum one. I was assuming that this is the answer he wanted to hear.

In the case of a high HP turbo application, a larger exhaust would be much more beneficial than a hotter exhaust. Adding to the fact that a 4" aluminum exhaust would be much lighter than a 4" steel exhaust.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:18 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

In the case of a high HP turbo application, a larger exhaust would be much more beneficial than a hotter exhaust. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No. My point is that theoretically cooler exhaust gasses(post turbine wheel) is much more important than keeping the exhaust velocity high with increased temperature.

In turbocharged cars Pressure and temperature differentiation before and after the turbine wheel matter much more than flow quality(produced by the keeping the tubing size smaller or maintaining the exhaust temperature warmer.

This is all inconsequential however because a few degrees in difference of exhaust temperature isn't going make much of a difference. However, if one were to be able to invent a device which could super-cool the exhaust gasses(post turbine) without cooling the exhaust gasses(pre-turbine) more power and quicker spool would be seen.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Geoff is using .065" wall thickness aluminum and its holding up well
Old 03-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbolshatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i saw that post he went from 40 pounds to 9 pounds that sounds like a worth while weight savings to me</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay if want to play the weight game, then you could lose weight somewhere else. For example, you can re-wire your entire car with 8 wires and save 25-30 lbs from the wiring harness, but I understand your position on saving every last oz of weight. If you are worried that much about weight, then you better be driving a full gutted honda with only gauges and no radio. And in this case I understand your reasoning.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Removing Heat from the exhaust isn't a bad thing btw. IT actually has a very positive effect. Weight loss is only 1 of the benefits of the aluminum exhaust.

Justin
Old 03-15-2006, 12:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mugencrxsir1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you are worried that much about weight, then you better be driving a full gutted honda with only gauges and no radio. And in this case I understand your reasoning.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Or maybe the driver wants to listen to the radio, have a comfortable full interior street car, and at the same time lighten the car by 30+ lbs.

Are you really trying to argue that 30+ lbs of weight savings isn't significant? People spend 500 dollars on a CF hood for 15lbs in weight savings. In this case you can spend the same amount of money as SS and get an exhaust which weighs much less. 30lbs is a tremendous amount to lose in weight!

Shaving weight is far more important than adding power imho. Removing weight will simultaneously improve braking, handling, acceleration, and mpg.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dasher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Or maybe the driver wants to listen to the radio, have a comfortable full interior street car, and at the same time lighten the car by 30+ lbs.

Are you really trying to argue that 30+ lbs of weight savings isn't significant? People spend 500 dollars on a CF hood for 15lbs in weight savings. In this case you can spend the same amount of money as SS and get an exhaust which weighs much less. 30lbs is a tremendous amount to lose in weight!

Shaving weight is far more important than adding power imho. Removing weight will simultaneously improve braking, handling, acceleration, and mpg.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with you, but I'm just saying that the Aluminum weight savings is not a big deal to some people. I bet that the 1/4 mile times between the same car with Aluminum vs. SS set-up is not significant, but the dyno results would probably favor the SS because of it's heat retaining ability, it's more efficient.

Quick Reply: aluminum exhaust