Notices

air induction

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default air induction

hey guys, i've been randomly on ebay and these 3 guys keep showin up under air and fuel delivery.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...=p4506.c0.m245

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-T...=p4506.c0.m245

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...=p4506.c0.m245

Do any of these actually work?? is there a way I could use a combo of them to make a good setup?

thanks
Old 09-16-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: air induction

STOP!!!! BACK AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD!!! BACK UP SLOWLY, TURN TOWARD THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY!! j/k.

No. get away from that stuff. worthless.. in fact, never link that again.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha really?? i mean the spacer almost looks legit. the circle thing that goes into the intake..... eh.

the supercharger would b interesting to c if it would work..
Old 09-17-2009, 12:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny u say all that, the swirling of the intake air has been proven to increase mpg by as much as 15% but I wouldn't buy either of those to do it. As far as the electric supercharger goes, I have seen a guy do it and go from running a 15 to 14.7 at the track. It was awesome and hilarious, he didn't do it like that one in the pic tho.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha. cuz its SUPPOSED to add about 2-3 lbs of boost...

does it make any sound? cuz that would b kool..
Old 09-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, he used a hair dryer motor and all and this was back in 99 that he did it. Was the first time anyone had seen a set-up like that. Just sounded like a hair dryer under the hood, lol..
Old 09-17-2009, 10:33 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

It's your money guys....
Old 09-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
It's your money guys....
indeed. If I ever get any experimental cash i may pick up a few o these and do some runs down the track. IF
Old 09-18-2009, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You cant fix stupid.....Its all been tried, millions of times. The results are always the same. NOTHING. sometimes you get a few carnage pics, from the POS breaks off and lodges itself inside the throttle body or actually makes it into the engine.

I actually had to diagnose a car a few weeks ago that had a wierd throttle sticking issue. I take off the airtube to start poking around and guess what I find almost wedged into the butterfly. One of those janky *** metal blades thats supposed to "spin" the air. If that had made it any further, he could have seriously injured or killed someone if his throttle stuck open. Of course he didnt remember putting it in HIS OWN CAR, someone else must have done it.

CIVIC rs87111.....show me the "PROOF". I wanna see this %15 increase from "spinning" air. Do you know how much turbulance is inside an intake? nevermind the fact that those products dont spin the air. I just wanna see the studies, proving an increase in MPG by spinning air.

Ive personally seen someone supercharge a car with a leaf blower...made good power till it popped. Although I dont know how it preformed at the top end

And stay away from the magnets that go around your fuel line also
Old 09-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW.... where have u been? It's all over the place do a little more research and study some physics, look into a concept called fuel atomization. What is one of the benifits of a turbo on a car when ur not pushing ur foot thru the floorboard?? I'm not going to tell you the answer either, I have to see what magical b.s. you come back with. Maybe 15% is a bit much but 5% at least.

Last edited by civic_r87111; 09-18-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know what fuel atomization is, thats why I brought up the "turbulance inside a manifold". And yes we all know that better atomization can increase mpg as well as power but I asked you, Where is this proof? Show me a link or show me a diagram, I dont give a fugk, just show me something.There is plenty of stuff on increasing the turbulance, but I just cant find ANYTHING on a cyclone type "swirling" effect like you mentioned. Not to mention the simple fact that NONE of those products produce a "swirling" effect like you mentioned. And if your "proof" is all over the place then why did your 15% savings magically change to 5% when I called you out on it? Is this where you finding all your "proof".... rofl
http://www.autobarn.net/tornado.html...FU1M5QodtBaVcA

And how did they produce this swirling effect inside of a functional intake manifold?

As far as your question is concerned Im not sure the answer you're looking for. Are you just asking what a benfit is to a turbo car when under partial throttle? What aspect are you looking for? Theres alot of benefits from a turbo car ranging from getting to operationg temp quicker in the winter to increased hp.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only 'research' that is out there is the research done by the company that makes them. The EPA tests devices like those and have found no statistically significant improvements in fuel economy or power.

The web site is:
http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/reports.htm

Although they didn't test that specific unit, they have tested similar ones. If something as simple as spinning the air would cause that much of an increase in power and fuel economy the O.E.M.'s would be incorporating them into their designs.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While an electric supercharger sounds cool in theory, in practice a car just doesn't have the electrical power to spin one that would produce any reasonable amount of boost (for any reasonable amount of time).

Though, back when I was in highschool, we duct taped a gas powered 2 stroke leaf blower to the intake on a 42 ****** Jeep. That was the only time we managed to get it over 45 mph, and even then it only got up to 52...
Old 09-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by srmofo
I know what fuel atomization is, thats why I brought up the "turbulance inside a manifold". And yes we all know that better atomization can increase mpg as well as power but I asked you, Where is this proof? Show me a link or show me a diagram, I dont give a fugk, just show me something.There is plenty of stuff on increasing the turbulance, but I just cant find ANYTHING on a cyclone type "swirling" effect like you mentioned. Not to mention the simple fact that NONE of those products produce a "swirling" effect like you mentioned. And if your "proof" is all over the place then why did your 15% savings magically change to 5% when I called you out on it? Is this where you finding all your "proof".... rofl
http://www.autobarn.net/tornado.html...FU1M5QodtBaVcA

And how did they produce this swirling effect inside of a functional intake manifold?

As far as your question is concerned Im not sure the answer you're looking for. Are you just asking what a benfit is to a turbo car when under partial throttle? What aspect are you looking for? Theres alot of benefits from a turbo car ranging from getting to operationg temp quicker in the winter to increased hp.
FYI the Honda D15B's version of VTEC low lifts one of the intake valves allowing LESS flow out of the one valvle in order to get a Swirling effect which allows for a leaner but still safe mix of gas. It was for fuel savings but the idea is that the swirling air allows for cleaner/fuller combustion.

http://suspendedhatch.thecarthing.co...-E_diagram.gif

Diagram straight from the honda manual... swirling owns.

HOWEVER

None of those retarded things make any serious gains and a hairdrier in line with the intake would actually RESTRICT air flow... the pistons in the engine at 8k are moving WAY WAY more volume of air than the hair dryer could and even at Low RPM the Hairdryer or similar electric motor cannot create pressure... once there was ANY backpressure on the hairdryer it would simply stop pushing air and start burning out the motor.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is also such thing as 'too much swirl'. In this case, since fuel is heavier then air, the fuel is centrifuged to the outside of the cylinder causing a non-homogeneous mixture.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NonovUrbizniz
FYI the Honda D15B's version of VTEC low lifts one of the intake valves allowing LESS flow out of the one valvle in order to get a Swirling effect which allows for a leaner but still safe mix of gas. It was for fuel savings but the idea is that the swirling air allows for cleaner/fuller combustion.

http://suspendedhatch.thecarthing.co...-E_diagram.gif

Diagram straight from the honda manual... swirling owns.

HOWEVER

None of those retarded things make any serious gains and a hairdrier in line with the intake would actually RESTRICT air flow... the pistons in the engine at 8k are moving WAY WAY more volume of air than the hair dryer could and even at Low RPM the Hairdryer or similar electric motor cannot create pressure... once there was ANY backpressure on the hairdryer it would simply stop pushing air and start burning out the motor.

I know that swirling effect helps to keep it suspended, like a garden hose on one side of a 5 gallon bucket, but I thought he was referring to is inside of the intake and in each individual runner.

As far as the studies go, Thats the point im trying to make, If it was as simple as putting a nifty looking piece of metal inside the intake, or a magnet around the fuel lines, or a new fangled hydrogen peroxide solution hooked to the battery the OEM would be all over it. even if it produced only a 1% gain on mpg.

I think this horse is as good as dead by now, we're all saying the same thing just in different ways
Old 09-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TunerN00b

Though, back when I was in highschool, we duct taped a gas powered 2 stroke leaf blower to the intake on a 42 ****** Jeep. That was the only time we managed to get it over 45 mph, and even then it only got up to 52...
hahah, when i was a youngin', i duct-taped a fan to my intake and plugged it into the wall to see if it would rev faster.....the things we do when were young.....
Old 09-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...-Dyno_7514.htm
Old 09-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well. u guys answered my question. NOT gonna try these haha
Old 09-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dynod a car for a kid that bought one of those "electric superchargers" It lost almost 2 hp everywhere except down low where it was the same as stock.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

http://jalopnik.com/5365041/electric...ve-other-ideas

Well looks like someone has actually started taking this idea seriously and approaching it from a not-fly-by-night way.

What I think the article is missing though is that this is meant for EXTREMELY small displacement motors and mainly for use in spooling up the turbo faster.

To get any kind of pressure behind the volume moving I just dont think electric motors can provide without either drawing WAY too many amps or being MUCH higher voltage.