Notices

Aeromotive 340LPH in tank question/problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Aeromotive 340LPH in tank question/problem ?

Hey fellas,

I've the Aeromotive 340LPH in tank in my 98 civic hb turbo B16 car. The problem i've is, when the fuel is at/under 1/4 tank, can't use the car. The fuel simply won't travel. It was a plug&play product and i'm using original fuel system parts except for the fuel regulator and injectors. The dimensions were same(both the pump and the filter) as the OEM one(s).

It is really hard to drive the car like this since the milage varies according to the driving and i already went out of gas(1/4 tank that is) twice on the road now.

Is there a way to fix this, a minor mod maybe ?

I searched the web and couldn't find anything, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Peace out...
Old 08-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aeromotive 340LPH in tank question/problem ?

yea i have the same problem with the same pump, , the pump will actually sound diffrent when you prime it at 1/4 tank, then when you prime at 1/2 or full , i just make sure im always over 1/4 tank
Old 08-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We experienced this problem on a car I just recently tuned. We found out that the rubber cover piece in which holds the pump does block a hole for suckage to a point. I'd make sure everything is infact, plugged up, is the pump new? ours was off the shelf new and was giving us a few problems until we filled up. We removed the pump 3 different times to make sure everything was good, and it was.

- We filled up the car and then finished tuning on the dyno, haven't had aproblem since.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pump was new yes, i've been using it for like 5000km(3k miles ?). But, it really started to get annoying.

Up until the moment of insufficient fuel, i couldn't notice anything with the car(AFR or sound wise) but as far as sound goes, maybe i wasn't listening ?

@DDTECH, so you fixed the problem ?

"We found out that the rubber cover piece in which holds the pump does block a hole for suckage to a point."

Do you have any pics that can help ? I'd very much like to see the low fuel light again and don't wanna lose 1/4 tank milage.

Thanks...

PS: Sorry if i don't understand something right from your posts or i say something wrong coz i'm from Turkey and English isn't my primary language. Sorry for the inconvenience...
Old 08-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We took the rubber piece off.
Haven't had a problem since..

Also this pump requires serious ground and voltage. Upgrade the wiring to the pump. I suggest running something thicker then stock wiring for the ground and at least bigger wire to the main relay.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advice, i'll do it.

Btw, what rubber piece are we talking about ? Any picture to show me and make me understand where exactly i need to remove ?
Old 08-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its on the bottom of the pump, where it sits in the holder.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea the stock wiring can't handle the amperage load and doesn't supply full voltage to the pump

It needs to be hardwired like you would a walbro... there are many comprehensive how-tos if you search

This also supplies the pump with a higher voltage, around 13.5 volts so you get more flow and pressure from the pump
Old 08-20-2013, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the pump was not turned 180* in the tank i.e. causing the filter sock to be pointing up and not down into the tank.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:42 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Also any in tank pump will start acting funny around 1/4 tank. Walbros do it all the time, it is mostly due to the reduced fuel level in the tank allows the fuel to slosh and surge around the tank causing a fuel shortage.

We see this a lot on cars we drift, the violent direction changes slam fuel rapidly around the tank at 1/4 full and causes all sorts of issues
Old 08-20-2013, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted k20
Make sure the pump was not turned 180* in the tank i.e. causing the filter sock to be pointing up and not down into the tank.
Yeah, we sure of that but thanks for the heads up!

Originally Posted by wantboost
Also any in tank pump will start acting funny around 1/4 tank. Walbros do it all the time, it is mostly due to the reduced fuel level in the tank allows the fuel to slosh and surge around the tank causing a fuel shortage.

We see this a lot on cars we drift, the violent direction changes slam fuel rapidly around the tank at 1/4 full and causes all sorts of issues
Yeah, it is true but there are 2 things:

1-) Even though it's the case, i'm sure there is a fix, a modification can be made to prevent this. I'm okey with like 4-5 liters(i'm Turkey we use metric system. ) but 10-12 liters is unacceptable in my opinion.

2-) I've bunch of friends who have Walbros in their cars(same EK models and/or EG models), they don't experience the same problem. Their fuel usually runs out around when the Low Fuel Light comes on, so it is like 4-5 liters.

The 2. point was the reason i made this thread in the first place, i'm sure either something is wrong OR Aeromotive 340LPG intanks work like this. If something is wrong i can fix it, if not, at least i know for sure this is how it is supposed to be.

I'll apply DDTECH's suggestions to remove the cover on the pump and upgrade the wiring that goes to it first. If those doesn't solve the issue, i'll look for another solution, maybe even a ghetto one just to make things run as they should be.

Btw Specs are:

Boosted 1974cc B16A2(b18 crank, Manley Rods, custom 84mm 9.0:1cr CP stroker pistons)
Precision 780cc Injectors
B&M Fuel Regulator
Aeromotive 340LPH Intank Fuel Pump(daah ?)
BMRS ramhorn manifold, Methanol kit, Skunk2-Ferrea-Supertech filled head, journal bearing T3-T4 hybrid turbo, tial 38mm wastegate, stock transmission,...etc. And 16psi of boost.

Last edited by CavemanXXL; 08-20-2013 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-31-2019, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm experiencing a problem similar to the original poster. I have under a 1/4 tank of gas and the car goes full lean on the wideband gauge and trips my s300 lean protection which makes the car undriveable. I going to update the wiring and get some gas to see if this fixes it
Old 08-31-2019, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole D
I'm experiencing a problem similar to the original poster. I have under a 1/4 tank of gas and the car goes full lean on the wideband gauge and trips my s300 lean protection which makes the car undriveable. I going to update the wiring and get some gas to see if this fixes it
Just curious, if thats full lean under part throttle or under boost.

If its under boost it mah be another issue. Where another member went thru a full lean issue on this pump. From maxxing out the pump pressure relief valve. And this is stated in the 340 pumps FAQs, that it is possible. Sorry to beat a dead horse. Just dont want to see someone less fortunate have the same situation i did.

Last edited by ls joker; 09-01-2019 at 03:50 AM.