Notices

Assistance Needed: Unknown Garrett Turbocharger identification

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assistance Needed: Unknown Garrett Turbocharger identification

Hey guys I need some help trying to identify this Garret turbo.
All I know is its older model Garret .60 trim T3/T4 with a turbonetics .63ar with a 5 bolt down pipe discharge and I will be running it with a -3 oil feed line with no restrictor since its a journal bearing turbo, and -10 oil drain line.
My question is it has ports for Water-cooled fittings and i cant seem to find the correct size plug to cover it up as since i will not be running water lines to it.
Any help will be appreciated, if nothing comes up my last resort is to bring the turbo into a local fastenal and find the correct cap off for the water cooled ports.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:29 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Assistance Needed: Unknown Garrett Turbocharger identification

Your oil pressure determines if you need an oil restrictor or not. Not the ready that tho have a journal bearing CHRA. Especially on a Garrett CHRA. The Precision video that promotes the advice of no restrictor 'cuz Journal Bearing is at the least ridiculous and at the most will cause a lot of harm to the CHRA.

For Garrett CHRAs, anything over 75psi of oil pressure at cold start and max rpm ( mechanical oil pumps driven by the engine) usually means a bout a .060"-0.78" restrictor used. Instead of the 1/4NPT fitting used on most oil cooled only turbos, these use a 1/8NPT fitting. The ones you have there looks worthless, honestly. Whatever you do, DO NOT USE A RESTRICTOR PLATE. YOU WILL KILL THE TURBOCHARGER

The Ford 5 bolt is starting to be discontinued as part of the Garrett world but will stay in the Turbonetics world for a foreseeable future. But in order too know what you have you need to remove the covers and measure the compressor and exhaust wheels. The markings on the housings mean nothing unless there is a blue Garrett name plate.

As for the water fittings, those are more than likely a 3/8thNPT fitting based upon what I see in the photos. There are 3/8NPT to -6AN conversion fitting available, but not through your local parts store.

But take advantage of the water ports. If you find out crazy to run 9000 rpms without a radiator as part of your engine, imagine what happens when you run something that averages over 20 times that speed. That's why every OEM turbo car regardless of CHRA type runs water lines.... To save the turbo in the long run. Can you do it without them?, yes. Is it worth a few extra dollars to protect your investment by running them? Abso-friggen-lutely.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

TheShodan, I thought all standard journal bearing ("T" series) Garrett turbochargers did not have provisions for water cooling AND all Garrett turbochargers have a tag on the CHRA. That looks like a copy of a Garrett to me.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
TheShodan, I thought all standard journal bearing ("T" series) Garrett turbochargers did not have provisions for water cooling AND all Garrett turbochargers have a tag on the CHRA. That looks like a copy of a Garrett to me.
I know my GTW doesn't have water ports. I'm 99.99999% positive it's no knockoff either. Lol!
Old 07-15-2019, 09:49 PM

Nope. Many of them did. Or it was an option if you knew the right people and part number. Even the older GT3255 and GT3251B journal bearing turbos came with water lines, and they were journal bearing also

Last edited by TheShodan; 07-16-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad you chimed in Shodan.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:39 PM

Glad you chimed in Shodan.
Glad to help
Old 07-17-2019, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Glad to help
What about the "tagged" CHRA... do any GENUINE Garrett turbochargers come without them ???
Old 07-18-2019, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What about the "tagged" CHRA... do any GENUINE Garrett turbochargers come without them ???
You're referring to the blue nameplate looking tag? Mine does not have one.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Txdragon
You're referring to the blue nameplate looking tag? Mine does not have one.
Many Garrett CHRAs don't have them, especially the JB series. The Ball-bearing series, (depending upon model, and if it were was a complete CHRA or a partial one) will have a nametag on the CHRA itself, and not on the backplate of the compressor cover

Everyone is used to the 466159-60** series turbos from the last two decades, that they forget that there are tons of other applications that were out there.

Having said that, Garrett has eliminated a lot of those older combinations that were tagged, due to their focus on the Gen2 GTX series, and less on the Journal Bearing series all together, including some of the GTW series. So expect costs for water cooled JB turbos to increase by about 4%-7%. Oil cooled is still available, but even they realize that having oil cooled only will increase sales because they are prone to failure from lack of sufficient cooling on the turbine shaft, making a sale for a new unit more likely than a repair...
Old 08-30-2019, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your oil pressure determines if you need an oil restrictor or not. Not the ready that tho have a journal bearing CHRA. Especially on a Garrett CHRA. The Precision video that promotes the advice of no restrictor 'cuz Journal Bearing is at the least ridiculous and at the most will cause a lot of harm to the CHRA.

For Garrett CHRAs, anything over 75psi of oil pressure at cold start and max rpm ( mechanical oil pumps driven by the engine) usually means a bout a .060"-0.78" restrictor used. Instead of the 1/4NPT fitting used on most oil cooled only turbos, these use a 1/8NPT fitting. The ones you have there looks worthless, honestly. Whatever you do, DO NOT USE A RESTRICTOR PLATE. YOU WILL KILL THE TURBOCHARGER

The Ford 5 bolt is starting to be discontinued as part of the Garrett world but will stay in the Turbonetics world for a foreseeable future. But in order too know what you have you need to remove the covers and measure the compressor and exhaust wheels. The markings on the housings mean nothing unless there is a blue Garrett name plate.

As for the water fittings, those are more than likely a 3/8thNPT fitting based upon what I see in the photos. There are 3/8NPT to -6AN conversion fitting available, but not through your local parts store.

But take advantage of the water ports. If you find out crazy to run 9000 rpms without a radiator as part of your engine, imagine what happens when you run something that averages over 20 times that speed. That's why every OEM turbo car regardless of CHRA type runs water lines.... To save the turbo in the long run. Can you do it without them?, yes. Is it worth a few extra dollars to protect your investment by running them? Abso-friggen-lutely.
I wasnt unsure if i had this posted or not, because after i post it i didnt see in the FI forum...
nonethelesss i appreciate the response and knowledge given... after some research and looking around i found the right thread pitch for the water port they are M16x1.25 i got 2 to cover the ports for now. With that being said i will also be running a 1/8 NPT to -4an oil feed line with no restictors... the oil line will be run off a Tee from my oil pressure sending unit.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by ef9-sean
I wasnt unsure if i had this posted or not, because after i post it i didnt see in the FI forum...
nonethelesss i appreciate the response and knowledge given... after some research and looking around i found the right thread pitch for the water port they are M16x1.25 i got 2 to cover the ports for now. With that being said i will also be running a 1/8 NPT to -4an oil feed line with no restictors... the oil line will be run off a Tee from my oil pressure sending unit.
Than what you have is an old Turbonetics (when they used Garrett covers), as they were the only ones runnung that size water fitting.

Way too large on the feed without an oil restrictor. You can run the size but you need a .065" restrictor or you'll food the CHRA
Old 08-31-2019, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oil cooled is still available, but even they realize that having oil cooled only will increase sales because they are prone to failure from lack of sufficient cooling on the turbine shaft, making a sale for a new unit more likely than a repair...
Oh man, there's a marketing tactic that FAR exceeds quality: "Let's just intentionally sabotage our **** so people buy more!"
Old 08-31-2019, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Than what you have is an old Turbonetics (when they used Garrett covers), as they were the only ones runnung that size water fitting.

Way too large on the feed without an oil restrictor. You can run the size but you need a .065" restrictor or you'll food the CHRA

I will look into using a restrictor while running the -4 oil feed line
Old 09-01-2019, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by ef9-sean
I will look into using a restrictor while running the -4 oil feed line
It may not be listed but these guys sell them. Email to inquire.

B&R