Notices

AEM EMS Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM EMS Questions

Well as I'm putting my car back together I came across a deal on an AEM EMS. I've heard all the praises about its capabilities and that's not what I'm worried about. I daily drive my car in stop go rush hour traffic to and from work 5 days a week. Right now I have crome on 880cc injectors and it idles fine, doesn't stall or hesistate etc. however, from what i've seen and saw posted, the idle on ems tuned cars is never that great. I've also heard that some software changes have improved the idle issues but I have no way to confirm this. I know a lot of it is in the tuner however. I just don't want to invest in it and and to tune it and hten be hating life every morning.

I just want some opinions of people and tuners who've tuned/used ems's on cars driven under similar circumstances/conditions. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM EMS Questions (M.A.R.C.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by M.A.R.C. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well as I'm putting my car back together I came across a deal on an AEM EMS. I've heard all the praises about its capabilities and that's not what I'm worried about. I daily drive my car in stop go rush hour traffic to and from work 5 days a week. Right now I have crome on 880cc injectors and it idles fine, doesn't stall or hesistate etc. however, from what i've seen and saw posted, the idle on ems tuned cars is never that great. I've also heard that some software changes have improved the idle issues but I have no way to confirm this. I know a lot of it is in the tuner however. I just don't want to invest in it and and to tune it and hten be hating life every morning.

I just want some opinions of people and tuners who've tuned/used ems's on cars driven under similar circumstances/conditions. Any feedback would be appreciated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

AEM EMS idle capability works fine as long as your sensors are in working order and it's tuned properly. If you already have Crome Pro and it's tuned there is no need to switch unless you are going to use the features AEM EMS provides. I have an AEM EMS 30-1040 on my car.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM EMS Questions (0x64)

aem idles like stock if it is tuned to do so. you will have to get a good tuner and spend some time and money to get it right. if you tuners says it will never idle or drive like stock then walk away. Or you can save a lot of money and tune drivability your self, but if you have no experience the learning curve is high so it will be a bitch at first. but you learn as you go, I love my aem ems.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM EMS Questions (0x64)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 0x64 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AEM EMS idle capability works fine as long as your sensors are in working order and it's tuned properly. If you already have Crome Pro and it's tuned there is no need to switch unless you are going to use the features AEM EMS provides. I have an AEM EMS 30-1040 on my car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah after making this post and thinking it over. i think the $$$ would be better invested in traction anyway. i know crome will do for what I want power wise, but the power will be pointless if i'm on shitty tires and/or suspension.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: AEM EMS Questions (b18ccivics)

I daily drive mine in rush hour traffic (it's my only car) and mine idles fine, been fine for years now. I think it's all in the tune. JDogg tunes my EMS and he doesn't seem to have any problem getting it to idle fine, and it doesn't take him very long either.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AEM EMS Questions

Can be made to run like stock if in the correct hands.

Cold/luke warm start and traction control will be the last to master.

Make sure you (or tuner) use a loading dyno to properly hone the fuel maps. (i.e. Boost Comp. is a quick/dirty way of tuning)
Old 03-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine idles perfectly at 950 rpm with 650cc injectors.

Boost comp is awesome for rough tuning (without a throttle mod IMO), but even with boost comp I still do cell by cell to get everything dialed in just right.

Tim
Old 03-27-2006, 08:54 PM

about how long does it take (average) a good tuner to dyno tune a car from base map to custom tune on aem's ems and does a turbo tune take longer than a n/a or nitrous tune?
Old 03-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by M.A.R.C. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah after making this post and thinking it over. i think the $$$ would be better invested in traction anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

aem ems has traction control
Old 03-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM EMS Questions (BoostedSiRhc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedSiRhc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">aem ems has traction control </TD></TR></TABLE>

i mean interms of chassis/suspension stuff
Old 03-28-2006, 02:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedSiRhc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">aem ems has traction control </TD></TR></TABLE>

/speed/boost control, and it can control electronic boost solenoids

Old 03-28-2006, 04:19 AM

AEM ems is the way to go... tons of things you can do with it...
Old 03-28-2006, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fooleo's boosted)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fooleo’s boosted &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AEM ems is the way to go... tons of things you can do with it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i understand that and definitaley agree. but i'm debating whether the $$$ could be better spent in other areas rather than the ems. ie... the aems alone won't get my times down if i don't drive it well or have an adequate suspension. i'm still considering it, i gotta decide soon though.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (M.A.R.C.)

with all the things an ems does the cheaper it gets, sure it is a chunk to spend at once, but sure you can get the stock computer chipped, then ad an electronic boost controller, progressive rate nitrous controller, a two stage rev limiter, launch controller, shift light or a gear dependant shift light, and how much is that going to cost plus there is still more.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18ccivics)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18ccivics &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with all the things an ems does the cheaper it gets, sure it is a chunk to spend at once, but sure you can get the stock computer chipped, then ad an electronic boost controller, progressive rate nitrous controller, a two stage rev limiter, launch controller, shift light or a gear dependant shift light, and how much is that going to cost plus there is still more.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i decided to get it but i already had a chipped ecu and most the other stuff. I just rather go with a capable system from now incase my goals change and i DO need that other stuff in the future. that and the tuner i'm going with i think prefers aem to crome so i'd rather that.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:59 PM

i idle like a rock at 1000rpms on 1000cc and my tuner did that in like 5 minutes. he said he coulda got it lower but thought i would rather spend the money on making power. i drive my car every day. it is worth every penney dude, hell just the fact of plug and play.. not to mention all the features that you dont have to pay exta for.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:35 PM
b18c5hatchie

Default Re: (turbodohcsi)

daily driver always stuck in traffic rc.1000cc idles fine turns on easy in the morning and makes 521 whp aem is great and i love it .
Old 03-29-2006, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18c5hatchie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18c5hatchie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">daily driver always stuck in traffic rc.1000cc idles fine turns on easy in the morning and makes 521 whp aem is great and i love it . </TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds good that's exactly the situation i'm going to be under. always stuck in traffic, 880cc injectors though.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by M.A.R.C. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well as I'm putting my car back together I came across a deal on an AEM EMS. I've heard all the praises about its capabilities and that's not what I'm worried about. I daily drive my car in stop go rush hour traffic to and from work 5 days a week. Right now I have crome on 880cc injectors and it idles fine, doesn't stall or hesistate etc. however, from what i've seen and saw posted, the idle on ems tuned cars is never that great. I've also heard that some software changes have improved the idle issues but I have no way to confirm this. I know a lot of it is in the tuner however. I just don't want to invest in it and and to tune it and hten be hating life every morning.

I just want some opinions of people and tuners who've tuned/used ems's on cars driven under similar circumstances/conditions. Any feedback would be appreciated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The idle is perfect if you get a tuner that understands how to do it correctly.. Mine idles at 750rpms with 1000cc injectors and drives like a stock car..
Old 03-29-2006, 06:20 AM

Default Re: AEM EMS Questions (B18CXr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CXr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cold/luke warm start and traction control will be the last to master.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cranking extra fuel is a pita to setup, makes it eaiser if your fuel map is as close as can be..
Old 03-29-2006, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM EMS Questions (tgreaves)

another quick ?... i ended up buying an aem gauge type wideband before i decided to go ems. do the two integrate and enable autotune or do i need the other uego controller stuff? i'm really interested in that for part throttle tuning.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:39 AM

Yes the 2 will work perfectly together.. And dont use autotune, check out the boost comp maps for tuning, you can get a perfect air/fuel ratio in like 15 minutes on the street..
Old 03-29-2006, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tgreaves &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes the 2 will work perfectly together.. And dont use autotune, check out the boost comp maps for tuning, you can get a perfect air/fuel ratio in like 15 minutes on the street..</TD></TR></TABLE>

boost comp eh? i'm not worried about street tuning for boost yet. just part thorttle driveability. but i'll look into it. friend of mine was mentioning it to me. i gotta hit up the aem forums. i need to learn more about features and using it. it's just SO much stuff though
Old 03-29-2006, 09:03 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by M.A.R.C. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

boost comp eh? i'm not worried about street tuning for boost yet. just part thorttle driveability. but i'll look into it. friend of mine was mentioning it to me. i gotta hit up the aem forums. i need to learn more about features and using it. it's just SO much stuff though</TD></TR></TABLE>

You do full throttle tunes and then just do correction for part throttle.. Actually you build a VE map and then set the % differences for VE modifiers like the throttle..
Old 03-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tgreaves &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You do full throttle tunes and then just do correction for part throttle.. Actually you build a VE map and then set the % differences for VE modifiers like the throttle..</TD></TR></TABLE>

umm... english please? anywhere i can get like a beginners guide to the aem features and what the hell i do? in the end it'll be fine tuned by an experienced tuner but i wanted to challenge myself with getting the car running and driving well enough to where i can *almost* just slap it on the dyno and have the final WOT maps tuned.

Quick Reply: AEM EMS Questions