AEM EMS Boost Control w. GM Boost Solenoid Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM EMS Boost Control w. GM Boost Solenoid Discussion.

Well whenever I have time I will go onto the AEM Forum and try to read up on more things about the AEM EMS. I have a pretty good grasp of the system now, but there are a still few features I have not messed with.

Today I ran into this thread. http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/...art=0

I was tryin to get an idea of how to start setting up speed dependant boost control. But while I was reading the thread I gotta hella confused on how to set regular boost control on the EMS.

To start things off, my boost control works perfect. I got it setup in probably 5 minutes. But then you got people on the board talking about wastegate duty, p1 control....etc...etc. I am like WTF, why is running 10 psi or whatever soo damn hard to setup..they make it sound like it takes forever and make it sound soo difficuly. Soo difficult it started to confuse me, and I already have my **** working.

So this is how my wastegate is all setup with the GM Solenoid. Pretty damn simple.

This is what my tables look like when I choose the Boost Control Tab. This table is setup for me to run 10psi.

Here is a log.

I do not use the boost control wizard btw.

So please tell me why do the guys on the AEM forum make it sound so hard to setup. For me to run 10psi I type 100 percent all the way up the table to my desired load. Then at the 10.69 load point I have it set to 50 percent, and that gives me about 10psi of boost. If I set it at 100, I get about 12-13psi. So basically all you really have to mess with is the load row you plan on boosting too. Everything below the desired load road I just set to 100 to keep the wastegate closed.

The only thing I hate with this setup is the GM SOLENOID KEEPS TICKING.

Jdogg said I can rewire it so that it only turns on at a certain rpm or load, and that is what I plan on doing hopefully.

So with that said, does anyone else have anything to add to this. Is it really much harder than I explained?

Old 08-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM EMS Boost Control w. GM Boost Solenoid Discussion. (BodyKits NW)

You know what man, I am just getting to wiring and plumbing that gm solenoid on my setup. The plumbing and wiring of the solenoid does seem to be really straight foward, but I'm a little slow. The sw will come next. Thanks for the little write up as I am really new to the AEM ems. As I learn how to set this up I will add to this topic (If I am able). I'll prolly be running 12-15psi and I heard from many that this is definately the best way to do it.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: AEM EMS Boost Control w. GM Boost Solenoid Discussion. (BodyKits NW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So please tell me why do the guys on the AEM forum make it sound so hard to setup. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Because the thread you found is from 2002 when the software wasn't as good as it is now.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only thing I hate with this setup is the GM SOLENOID KEEPS TICKING.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do what Jdogg said. Set up the output so its only active above a certain rpm or vehicle speed. That way when it turns on you wont hear it.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the solenoid is ticking when the car is not running and is annoying just keep the car off, go to the duty cycle table of the solenoid and just figure out which duty cycle it takes before the solenoid is quiet for that partical portion of the map you are trying to make it quiet (ie. car off. would be zero rpms and zero vac)
Old 08-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: AEM EMS Boost Control w. GM Boost Solenoid Discussion. (Muckman)

I found hooking the boost controller to the top and side ports (like you have) works alot better than just the side port as shown in this picture.

I had mine hooked up like this ^ because I liked the idea of 0 duty equalling min boost. Where as the other hook up method 0 duty (off) equals max boost. I was worried about the solenoid failing. But the other way works alot better for boost control this way is safer.

-Just so everyone understands the difference.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM EMS Boost Control w. GM Boost Solenoid Discussion. (Muckman)

How about speed dependant boost?
Old 08-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

once you have various boost levels set up, all you have to do is set up the vehicle speed table to your desired boot level@ desired speed. there is a option you have to select called boost fb vss for the vehicle speed to become active. that option is what turns that table on or off
Old 08-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM EMS Boost Control w. GM Boost Solenoid Discussion. (D-tuned)

FYI, if you log vehicle speed, engine speed, and engine load to redline in 1st - 3rd. you can go back and set up the boost taget vss table to mimic a gear depend boost controller. I set this up on a friends call and it works awesome
Old 08-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick question. Do I have the table setup right for the fastest spool. I have 100..I mean 99.6 under my desired load row to make sure the wastegate stays closed. I have Invert checked, if I had wastegate invert unchecked I believe I would set it to zero.

This is the way my boost error table is setup. I have not touched it, not even sure if its enabled.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it should be sloped the other way for the GM soleniod unless you have wastedgate invert selected
Old 08-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure to use the top and bottom port.. any other way sucks.

also make sure you have the wg error control, wg FB, and your particular target method turned on.

if you hook it up using top and bottom make sure to use the wg invert option (so more duty=more boost)

once you have the wg duty map figured out pretty close, then just check the vss option and set the table to whatever you want. the error control should take care of the rest.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: AEM EMS Boost Control w. GM Boost Solenoid Discussion. (JDogg)

jdogg, you;ve been pm'd
Old 08-07-2005, 08:10 PM
TKL
Honda-Tech Member

The AEM boost control works great once it's set up right. To get the solenoid to stop clicking you can do 2 things. You can do like MASE says or instead of powering the solenoid with an IGN SW+12v, you can use one of your High Side outputs in your AEM. You can configure when to power the solenoid.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make sure to use the top and bottom port.. any other way sucks.

also make sure you have the wg error control, wg FB, and your particular target method turned on.

if you hook it up using top and bottom make sure to use the wg invert option (so more duty=more boost)

once you have the wg duty map figured out pretty close, then just check the vss option and set the table to whatever you want. the error control should take care of the rest. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Jdogg couldn't have explained it any better...
Old 08-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM EMS Boost Control w. GM Boost Solenoid Discussion. (TKL)

[QUOTE=TKL]The AEM boost control works great once it's set up right. To get the solenoid to stop clicking you can do 2 things. You can do like MASE says or instead of powering the solenoid with an IGN SW+12v, you can use one of your High Side outputs in your AEM. You can configure when to power the solenoid.

[QUOTE]

forgot to mention that, but yeah.. i usually wire up the 12v to an HS output so it only turns on over a certian rpm level
Old 08-08-2005, 02:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have wastegate inverted checked. So is the boost error table setup correctly?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hit me up on aim sometime, there is a better way to set this up than cell by cell in the duty cycle map.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have wastegate inverted checked. So is the boost error table setup correctly? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yep

jared.. you are probably talking about the wg target comp table right? much easier and faster than cell by cell, but i find cell by cell tends to spool a touch faster and have a little better responce
Old 08-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM EMS Boost Control w. GM Boost Solenoid Discussion. (JDogg)

Like I said, everything is working fine, but I am just tryin to get a better understanding of how each of the tables work.

For example. Why is this boost error table setup like this. I did not set this up. This is the way it is setup with the AEM Base Calibrations for the 1010 box. The other boost error tables I have seen do not have a dip like that, and look more like a boost fuel correction table. Where the line hits the 0 axis, but is a straight line.

I also noticed when I go under VSS boost and it gives me all the tables like boost target comp and etc..that I do not have anything checked like Boost FB on error, Boost WG Feedback and etc... Should any of those options be checked?

Old 08-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats an error control table.. when the boost is X ammount below the target then it will add a certian duty. its shaped like that so the boost cuts down faster in an over boost situation, but dosnt rise too fast when the boost is too low.

in the vss template, you need all three of those option checked.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curiousity: is the AEM doing PID or another algorithm? I'm working on doing something similar for Crome/Uberdata/Turboedit/stock Honda ECUs, and before I got coding I wanted to go look at the algorithms being successfully used elsewhere.
peace
-Dave
Old 08-08-2005, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blundar)

the error control is as simple as that table andy posted...

or if you really want you can use the complex error control.. its the P&I error control. its tricky to setup, most of the time when i do it i get a odd oscilation in the boost, so i normally use the "normal" error control. the p&i is the same calculations as the o2 feedback.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDogg)

I <u>would not use</u> the aem boost control untill <u>you understand exactly how it works</u>

Mine was working fine for a couple days then BAM! 25psi - bye bye engine
Old 08-09-2005, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (legendboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by legendboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I <u>would not use</u> the aem boost control untill <u>you understand exactly how it works</u>

Mine was working fine for a couple days then BAM! 25psi - bye bye engine</TD></TR></TABLE>

The way I have it setup right now is pretty easy to understand. I don't think it gets any simpler than that. That really sux that happened bro. Did u use fuel cut load? If you have the wastegate duty table setup right as well as the fuel cut load you should have enough safety measures to cut boost off if anything does happen. Even if you do not have fuel cut load enabled, if you have the wastegate duty table setup a certain way it should also prevent it from going up to a certain psi level.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BodyKits NW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The way I have it setup right now is pretty easy to understand. I don't think it gets any simpler than that. That really sux that happened bro. Did u use fuel cut load? If you have the wastegate duty table setup right as well as the fuel cut load you should have enough safety measures to cut boost off if anything does happen. Even if you do not have fuel cut load enabled, if you have the wastegate duty table setup a certain way it should also prevent it from going up to a certain psi level. </TD></TR></TABLE>

actually as an ironic kick in the ***** this happened the same day jp released the new firmware with boost cut. i planned on changing that evening
Old 08-09-2005, 09:09 AM

Default Re: (legendboy)

Any idea why I have to put a vent on the top port when mounting an EBC? (Tial Wastegate)

Quick Reply: AEM EMS Boost Control w. GM Boost Solenoid Discussion.