Notices

Adjustable cam gear on SOHC

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adjustable cam gear on SOHC

I see the reasoning behind having these gears on the DOHC built hondas, but is there much point on SOHC? I have Bisi's 1.2 turbo regrind and valve train, but i was wondering if it was worth shelling out another $130 for his cam gear. Other than it being damn good looking, will i see much benefit from it? I assume his grinds are meant to work at TDC so i cant see myself picking up much from the gear but this is my first honda rodeo here.

I've called a couple of times and go to his "tech" department. But it always sounds like im talking to some high school kid who works there on the side. He confuses terminology (spent 20+ min. explaining what PTW clearance was last time i called about their pistons) and usually just takes my number down and someone who KNOWS what their talking about eventually calls me up. But no call so far about the cam regrinds..

Its fairly cheap.. and darn good looking, but from a tuning perspective i thought it would be nice to have, but im just not sure if its worth it.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Adjustable cam gear on SOHC

Go for it. If the V8 guys are using an adjustable cam gear to move the cam around and find more power, I don't see why a SOHC Honda engine wouldn't see any gains. You never know, for your specific combination you may find more power at a different centerline than what Bisi recommends.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

generally speaking on a SOHC if u advance the cam you will get a stronger bottom end and less top end tq.

if you retard the cam, you will gain more tq up top and lose some down low.

so if u need high rpm tq or low rpm tq, the cam gear can come in handy.

but not as handy as with a DOHC.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the head or the block was milled or an aftermarket headgasket. yes buy one.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigsnorlax
I see the reasoning behind having these gears on the DOHC built hondas, but is there much point on SOHC? I have Bisi's 1.2 turbo regrind and valve train, but i was wondering if it was worth shelling out another $130 for his cam gear. Other than it being damn good looking, will i see much benefit from it? I assume his grinds are meant to work at TDC so i cant see myself picking up much from the gear but this is my first honda rodeo here.

I've called a couple of times and go to his "tech" department. But it always sounds like im talking to some high school kid who works there on the side. He confuses terminology (spent 20+ min. explaining what PTW clearance was last time i called about their pistons) and usually just takes my number down and someone who KNOWS what their talking about eventually calls me up. But no call so far about the cam regrinds..

Its fairly cheap.. and darn good looking, but from a tuning perspective i thought it would be nice to have, but im just not sure if its worth it.
Hows it going just sharing some input with the reason why the adjustable cam gear is important even with a Bisimoto Level 1.2 is to properly degree a camshaft in. All camshafts both factory and aftermarket lined up at factory timing marks will not be at 110 center-line so it takes an adjustable cam gear to properly get that center-line.

If you are unsure of what 110 intake center-line it is the proper degree that will allow the camshaft to do its job in its most efficient way to be able to make the most power. The only way to do this is to properly is by degreeing the camshaft in. Of course even factory camshafts will show performance impovement with degreeing of cams.

When you hear of tuners adjusting cam gears on the dyno trying to get more power they are actually searching for that magic number and when they finally do achieve the most power by just guessing. If you were to degree that motor afterwards you will find that it will end up being right on or very close to 110 center-line.

So in the end doing proper cam degreeing leaves the guess work out when your trying to produce the most power from your setup

Please feel free to contact me at Bisimoto in the tech department. My name is Julio and just came aboard Bisimoto's Team recently and have over 10 years experience in the High performance field and will be able to help you answer your questions Thank-you