Notices

ACL or OEM bearings? What are you using and why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ACL or OEM bearings? What are you using and why?

Currently Im using ACLs, but Ive recently heard some discouraging things about them failing. I was under the impression they were an "upgrade" in bearings, not a "budget" type of part. What are you using and what is your opinion?
Old 07-09-2006, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ACL or OEM bearings? What are you using and why? (clip the apex)

acl because they are cheaper and work just as well as OEM.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:59 AM

Default Re: ACL or OEM bearings? What are you using and why? (Speed Infliction)

ACLs are fine as long as your clearances are correct.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:46 AM

Default Re: ACL or OEM bearings? What are you using and why? (ccivic)

ACL
Old 07-09-2006, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ACL or OEM bearings? What are you using and why? (ccivic)

i use whatever berings give me proper clearances.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACL or OEM bearings? What are you using and why? (JDogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i use whatever berings give me proper clearances.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here. clevite, topline ,oem whatever a bearing is a bearing as long as all clearances are right and its assembled in a very clean dust free enviroment you will have no problems.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the block was professionally done by a reputable shop, so I assume I should be fine.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:21 AM

HONDA factory bearings.

the clearances are not where they shoudl be when using a one sixze fits all type liek acl. they are also much ahrder, which means easier to score the bearing surfaces of the crank. while detonation makes it harder to flatten them liek the hondas due, my answer to that comment has always been if your detonating then you have a shitty tune and need it retuend and stop driving the car till you get it done.

honda bearings offer 7 different sizes and they allow for EXACT perfect fitment of the crank to block. I've seen acls cause binding due to too thick or even cause the crank to be a bit loose due to not thick enough.

these are some reason I only use honda factory bearings. Not to mention the factory honda stuff is much better quality than any otehr bearing for the honda out there.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (oscarmayer)

thats not really true oscarmyer... if everything is done right you wont need to mix and match bering sizes to get the proper clearances. I prefer uncoated berings to coated ones, the honda coating i think is the worst. it tends to sort of gum up and become "marbley" making it hard to see exactly whats going on w/the engine between rebuilds.

but like i said... if it provides proper clearance it'll work. If you get a bunch of scoring and whatnot then you didnt build it right.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (oscarmayer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oscarmayer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">honda bearings offer 7 different sizes and they allow for EXACT perfect fitment of the crank to block. I've seen acls cause binding due to too thick or even cause the crank to be a bit loose due to not thick enough.</TD></TR></TABLE>Tell me numerically (.00XX") what the exact bearing clearance that Honda calls for when using the colored bearings. What should they be????? Point out the page in the Helms manual that gives you the exact clearance..<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oscarmayer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">these are some reason I only use honda factory bearings. Not to mention the factory honda stuff is much better quality than any otehr bearing for the honda out there.</TD></TR></TABLE>Omniman, who spends a lot of time in Taiwan, told me he saw Honda bearings being made there. Most people think they are made in Japan by some secret methods and they are nothing more than a cheap Asian product. At least ACL's are made by an OEM bearing manufacturer not located in Asia.