Notices

Accord H22a Drag Kit Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Accord H22a Drag Kit Problems

My friend is putting a Drag turbo kit onto a '95 Accord Wagon, and he ran into some problems. I'm praying someone out there can help with this.

Problem #1: The IC piping (turbo to IC side) is very strange and doesn't look like it will fit any possible way. I drew a horrible illustration of the way the pipe is shaped:

90° bend up , straight part, 90° bend to the left, straight part, then a less than 45° bend down. And the only couplers left are 2 elbows. We assume that (obviously) 1 elbow will be at the turbo and the other will be at the IC. But the point is that one end of the pipe is up and the other is down. So no matter what way we try to mount it, one of the ends is pointing to the ground; no way it's going to get to the IC. All the other piping that came with the kit are bigger than this one pipe. Is this something that needs to be fab'ed up with another piece of straight pipe, and cut the existing pipe to bend up instead of down? The way the IC goes is that the inlet is up more, on the side (offset), and is about 2-3"s from a bumper support (directly below the headlight).

Problem #2: And do people usually remove the mount attached to the cross member, because the turbo has to be clocked down towards it?

Problem #3: The next problem is the 2½" down pipe. The car has A/C, and the down pipe is hitting one of the lines. So either the down pipe needs to be notched, or the A/C line needs to be bent a lot to clear it. Are the Drag kits even A/C compatible? I didn't think they were, but my friend says they are.

- I don't want people thinking that this is the first time any of us has put on a turbo kit before. It's just the first time problems with A/C line clearance and IC piping problems have popped up this bad. Usually on Civics and Integras, the IC piping consists of just a U-bend and a 90° bend; but this pipe is just weird. I just want to check if there is another way the pipe is supposed to go before my friend hacks it up to make it work. I greatly appreciate any help.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Accord H22a Drag Kit Problems (CivicSpoon)

off the top of my h ead. the 90 degree 2 inch coupler goes off the turbo and points towards the front of thecar. then a 90 degree elbow swings it towards the driverside. a straight connector. then 90 pointing downwards. and from there i dont remember the rest.

you may have to clock the turbo to fit. goodluck !
Old 11-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't even think to try that. I don't have it in front of me right now, but it makes sense now that I think of it. And that's about the only way we didn't try it (at least not that I saw). Just not sure how to get it to the IC 90° coupler. There are 2 "holes" that I could see it go through, but the alternator is blocking one (that I know of) and the other has the P/S cooler hoses going through it. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. If we figure it out, I'll make sure to post back.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Banned

Default Re: (CivicSpoon)

You have to flip it around.

Your very lucky.. I happen to be doing this exact install on a customers car.

Ill take some pics of it and post em up tonight/tommorow.

Basically the turbo has to face up.. The outlet of it goes forward towards where the Power Steering compressor and AC compressor are at. If you look where the belts are on the AC and ps you will notice a 2.5" oval space there. Dremel some of that off. The pipe slides thru there into the top piece of the intercooler.

Ricky
Old 11-30-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Accord H22a Drag Kit Problems (CivicSpoon)

first time i've ever heard of a straight bend...lol....
Old 12-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (af-performance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by af-performance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have to flip it around...
Basically the turbo has to face up.. The outlet of it goes forward towards where the Power Steering compressor and AC compressor are at. If you look where the belts are on the AC and ps you will notice a 2.5" oval space there. Dremel some of that off. The pipe slides thru there into the top piece of the intercooler.

Ricky</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yup, that's exactly what we had to do. Never in a million years would I have thought of putting the pipe up top like that. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Banned

Default Re: (CivicSpoon)

* Here i think you may have some trouble. Personally I think our downpipe on this kit was just a fab error. If it was about .75" more bent she would clear the hose of the AC compressor.

Were using Hondata to control this one.

If you run into any more problems just let me know. I am almost done the accord, she might be getting tuned saturday. I can help you with anything you might need.

Ricky
Old 12-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (af-performance)

We finally got it almost complete, just a few loose ends left (boost & A/F gauges and the turbo timer). So far no boost leaks (guess we'll find out for sure on the test drive) and no fuel leaks from the new lines and fmu (fmu as the only fuel managment ). We ended up taking out the A/C all together, so no more clearance issues with the downpipe and it looks a hell of a lot cleaner. Again thanks for the help, we never would have thought to put it on that way.