Old 08-21-2004, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACCEL DFI GEN6 WILL IT WORK WITH HONDA IGNITION MODULE

ACCEL DFI GEN6 WILL IT WORK WITH HONDA IGNITION MODULE
Old 08-21-2004, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACCEL DFI GEN6 WILL IT WORK WITH HONDA IGNITION MODULE (dragline)

THANKS FOR SHARING MENG!!!
Old 08-21-2004, 03:48 PM

Default Re: ACCEL DFI GEN6 WILL IT WORK WITH HONDA IGNITION MODULE (dragline)

Yes It wil
Old 08-21-2004, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACCEL DFI GEN6 WILL IT WORK WITH HONDA IGNITION MODULE (lonnieboost)

Any help on wiring it, got system used having hard time finding any info or wiring diagrams like ecu pin locations anything would help
Old 08-21-2004, 06:26 PM

Default Re: ACCEL DFI GEN6 WILL IT WORK WITH HONDA IGNITION MODULE (lonnieboost)

yes, it should
Old 08-21-2004, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No expert at DFI gen 6 here, but I flipped through a book on them at Barnes and Noble recently. It had dismal things to say about Honda ignition system compatability.

The ignitor would work fine as an ignition module, you'd likely have to run a gear wheel off the harmonic balancer like the GM ECMs, which the DFI is derived from, likes.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:43 PM

Default Re: (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No expert at DFI gen 6 here, but I flipped through a book on them at Barnes and Noble recently. It had dismal things to say about Honda ignition system compatability.

The ignitor would work fine as an ignition module, you'd likely have to run a gear wheel off the harmonic balancer like the GM ECMs, which the DFI is derived from, likes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Absolutely incorrect. Not 100% sure of the ecu pinouts, but RPMNYC should be able to help you there. They wired my DFI gen 6 into the stock wiring harness, so the engine bay harness appeared stock, the only thing that gave it away was the map sensor that we tried to hide.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lonnieboost)

No, I am wholly correct - I stated I had little knowledge of DFI units, and that a book on DFI gen 6 claimed ignition system incompatability with Hondas. Whether that book has any reflection on the reality of the matter is something else entirely

Old 08-21-2004, 06:49 PM

Well I am stating that I had Gen 6 on my car without using the crank trigger pickup. Anyway get the part number off of the ecu and go here it will help

.http://go.mrgasket.com/Instruc...dID=8

This install is not for the faint of heart. You should really take it to a reputable shop who did this before.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, you probably had the distributor reluctors reworked like Colin @ rpmnyc's old car, DFI gen 7, which lies dead at the shop. So, technically, the book I was parroting is right - incompatible with stock Honda ignition system. Sorry I didn't chime right in with that promptly... been up for 24 hours, and an old man's brain doesn't work too well under such conditions.

You're right about going to a reputable shop that's good at wiring... I've seen a DFI install with wires shorted from where the shrink wrap was overheated and melted through when Honduh plugs were mated with some generic GM wiring harness, and once you pull back the electrical tape wrapping you find a whole **** ton of wires cut off at varying lengths and just hanging out. Last wiring harness I fabricated out of thin air, for a 2.7 liter XT6 AWD swap into an 80's Subaru hatch, was done correctly using good polyolefin heat shrink that doesn't burn through easily and is flexible + resilient.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:23 PM

=<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, you probably had the distributor reluctors reworked like Colin @ rpmnyc's old car, DFI gen 7, which lies dead at the shop. So, technically, the book I was parroting is right - incompatible with stock Honda ignition system. Sorry I didn't chime right in with that promptly... been up for 24 hours, and an old man's brain doesn't work too well under such conditions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have much respect for you, but Colins' car is not lying dead at the shop. I know I was there last week, that car is long gone(sold). Yes the distributor was modified( all the pickup teeth were removed, but one). I never had a problem with my old gen 6, my brother(also name Colin) and Colin from RPM were having issues with the gen 7 box and also with the tuner (Job Spetter). They, also never had the pickup wheel and both cars among many others ran very well. I know of some people who did the crank trigger and it worked as well, but if you do not get a bracket that is not machined properly, then your timing will be way off (I have seen this as well).
Now saying it is incompatible is wrong. Saying that you have to modify the distributor Yes is right.
This is the reason I went with AEM this time around because I do not trust anyone but RPM to do that job for me, and seeing that they are in NY and I am in FL, it just would not make any sense. But once again take the car to a reputable shop.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lonnieboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have much respect for you, but Colins' car is not lying dead at the shop. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Crossed wires there, bro. When I said "the shop," I was thinking a little closer than 1000 miles away. I look at the ex-450 whp bundle of joy on a daily basis, it's been sitting there for a bit while Jared (new owner) does the two jobs thing and gets rebuild money together. Never been to rpmnyc, doubt I ever will, but much respect for them based on that car. There are one or two things I personally would have done differently (I am an overly opinionated *******, everyone will agree), but it's a hell of a car.

Old 08-22-2004, 08:57 AM

Oh ok. I understand what you mean. Question, what exactly happened to the car why it is down?
Old 08-22-2004, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the car you 2 are talking about is Colins old silver civic ?
Old 08-22-2004, 04:01 PM

Default Re: (Dturbocivic)

Yes that's the one.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jared had a couple problems with plug wires coming off the dist cap, and 1100cc injectors @ 8000 rpm seem to like to wash bores. Was running strong but not 100% for a hundred or two miles. Had a problem with some shorted wiring, the DFI's output to trigger the MSD; washed bores further. Couldn't get it to run after that, dropped the oil out of it, metallic glitter all through the oil, oil was attracted to a magnet

Ended up yanking the head off, there are tiny chunks out of #4 around the flycuts, and a larger (still small) chunk out of #1 that embedded itself in the quench pad and left compression ring partially exposed.

I'm fairly certain the head is fine and can be milled smooth with a mere cleanup pass, but no promises until it goes off to the machine shop. The bottom end is, pending yanking the crank (haha) for inspection, a good rebuilable core. Jared's pretty lucky, when big power rides go wrong, you're usually left with high-dollar debris, not perfectly good **** that needs a little love.