Notices

About to get tuned! Anything else I am missing??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to get tuned! Anything else I am missing??

My last thread got stolen by my Llamas.. I'll post a new one. Sorta-new questions anyways.

Tuning Appointment confirmed today. The first weekend of sept (2nd-3rd) my sol will be tuned in middle-state NC.

I need to finish my oil pan and add oil and crank her up. Start up will be someday this week. What all do you guys sujest I do before I start up and while its idling to operating temps, what should I check for? So far I got..

- Obvious fuel/oil leaks
- Major exhaust leaks
- Idle speed/ smoothness of the idle (running 750s + 255HP on a chipped p28, might be a bit rough)

Should I mix up some soap or something in a spray bottle and spray all around my pipings and ****? Check for vacuum leaks or whatever?

5w 30 synthetic A-OKAY?

Bit nervous since its my first build-up and around 95% of it has been done by myself and my brother. Neither of us have ANY experience in this field. Hell I didnt even know how to install my air intake some months ago. But now here I am putting together this beast by myself (with the help of many How To guides on this kick *** forum). From installing the injectors/fuel pump, to assembling the turbo and mounting the intercooler. Ive never worked on an engine before and have no experience what so ever.

Tuning is 2-3 of sept. Birthday is a couple days before on the 31st. Will be one hell of a birthday. Im so excited.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holy smokes thats awsome. Read Earl Laskeys article on initial start-up.

Before lighting her up for the first time, unplug the distributor and the 15a fuse for the ecu.

Basically use a non detergent 30wt oil and let the engine idle for 20 minutes, keep the revs between 1-3k rpm.

Change the oil after it idles for 20 minutes and filter.

I wouldn't start the motor on basemap with the 750's, start it on the stock injectors/ecu/map sensor. After you let it idle for 20 minutes then swap in your stuff.

Obviously you dont want to get on it until after it is tuned. Drive around town for like 50 miles or so just to make sure there are no leaks/hazards/unneccesary BS. Do not rev the motor beyond 4krpm. Always make sure to let the motor rev up and down and NOT to keep it steady.

Always let the engine do all the braking for you, for example while your driving let off the gas and dont touch your brakes, let her coast this will expand the rings and spee dup breaking them in.

I might be forgetting something else, make sure you find Earl's write up. I am pretty sure its in the FAQ under forced Induction as a sticky.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:18 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

be sure to check vac leaks, boost leaks and tighten down your tbolts to make sure you dont lose a charge pipe on the dyno....trust me, it is a bad feeling when something goes "BOOOOM" on the dyno and then the car smokes.

Don't worry...i worried like crazy and now that its done, there really wasn't anything to worry about....