Notices

? about built engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about built engines

I was just asking anyone who had a built motor if you have any problems out of it. I am going to build my B18C1 out of my integra because I have currently 93,xxx miles on it, and I dont trust a turbo on it with that much with the high milage, and everytime I get on my car, I am leaving a smoke screen, so it seems that my rings are going out. I guess the main question I am asking is that does anyone have a problem with their motor after the build? My dad told me that I will always have problems with it, and I dont want to spend $3,000 on something that will just be like that all the time. Also, someone elese told me that when I get the motor built, dont put the turbo kit on, wait till the engine is broke in, then put the turbo kit on. Thanks for any/all information that someone helps me out with.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:34 PM

Default Re: ? about built engines (01IntegraGSR)

if assembled properly you should have no issues with it... i may not be the best person to attest to this, as i only have about 5000 miles on my built engine, but for the most part it should run like stock.... it will be noisy on a cold start, but other than that it should be fine...

my engine builder told me to brake the egine in like this.... first start up, dont let it hold a slow idle... rev it to ~2000 - 2500, and let it warm up... for a minuite or so..... then take it out on the street and put the engine under load, rev it to 3000 and let off the gas (while still in gear) and let it coast back down to idle... then goto 4000 rpm and allow it to rev down in gear.... do this for 20 minuites or 1/2 hr and your done....

**note** i wouldnt do this on a untuned ecu, but i had my ems programme from last year....

as far as having the turbo stuff on, i did it... your not boosting it, so its not really any harder on anything than running with stock exhaust.... just take it easy on the engine, but still let it see some rpm... dont idle it at first and dont use synthetic oil for brake in....

the brake in process is only really seating the rings....
Old 08-13-2004, 03:17 AM

Default Re: ? about built engines (R THIS)

Thanks for the info. I am just wondering if it is worth it. Sounds like it is a go for me. Thanks for taking time to break it down for me. Did you get yours sleeved, or just pistons and rods?
Old 08-13-2004, 03:21 AM

Default Re: ? about built engines (01IntegraGSR)

darton sleeves, cp pistons and pauter rods
Old 08-13-2004, 03:23 AM

Yea, I just checked it out with the thread in your sig, nice setup. I hope I can hit those numbers one day.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R THIS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if assembled properly you should have no issues with it... i may not be the best person to attest to this, as i only have about 5000 miles on my built engine, but for the most part it should run like stock.... it will be noisy on a cold start, but other than that it should be fine...

my engine builder told me to brake the egine in like this.... first start up, dont let it hold a slow idle... rev it to ~2000 - 2500, and let it warm up... for a minuite or so..... then take it out on the street and put the engine under load, rev it to 3000 and let off the gas (while still in gear) and let it coast back down to idle... then goto 4000 rpm and allow it to rev down in gear.... do this for 20 minuites or 1/2 hr and your done....

**note** i wouldnt do this on a untuned ecu, but i had my ems programme from last year....

as far as having the turbo stuff on, i did it... your not boosting it, so its not really any harder on anything than running with stock exhaust.... just take it easy on the engine, but still let it see some rpm... dont idle it at first and dont use synthetic oil for brake in....

the brake in process is only really seating the rings.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

i broke it somewhat like he did

but when i started the engine for my first time, i let it sit on idle until it reaches 1 heat cycle.... while u check for problems and leaks...once that takes place, i turned it off, and changed the oil.......
after that oil change to get some of the crap from inside out, then i start it up again and take it for the hard break in