Notices

AAARRRGGG!! Look at this pic and tell me what you think.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AAARRRGGG!! Look at this, tell me what you think. **PIC**

Ok, I took of the intake pipe of my 99 Si w/ Greddy turbo. This is what I found. I actually stole this pic from CSI but my intake looked EXACTLY the same. From what I have read it's most likely oil from the valve cover breather. I have already disconnected the hose from my valve cover to intake. I am going to let it vent to atmosphere untill my catch can shows up. Here comes the big stupid general question. WHAT IS CAUSING THIS?
Old 06-18-2003, 07:04 PM

Default Re: AAARRRGGG!! Look at this, tell me what you think. **PIC** (SlamMan)

If oil is pooled up like that, its most likely the turbo seal.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Highly suspect blow-by....if you do a leak down test and everything looks ok, then you might wanna get an oil catch can....Its nothing to panic about if your car is not puffing blue smoke and getting good compression....some blow-by is pretty common.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:47 PM

Default Re: AAARRRGGG!! Look at this, tell me what you think. **PIC** (MiraiZ)

That is blow-by get a catch can greddy sells a good one
Old 06-18-2003, 09:25 PM
New User

Default Re: AAARRRGGG!! Look at this, tell me what you think. **PIC** (APZGSR)

If your motor was causing that much blow-by, believe you me you don't need a catchcan, you need a rebuild. Most likely, that much oil is caused by broken turbo oil seal. Rebuild yur turbo.

If that's blow-by, that's really bad.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

needs to check out that turbs
Old 06-18-2003, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know the guy whos car thats on .. he was boosting @ 10psi with the blue box and bad things happened, he needs a rebuild. anyways, i have some oil in there too and im telling you now its blow by, and its alot of it. do a compression test and leak down test .. why not get a crank case breather filter (K+N makes them), cheaper than a catch can
Old 06-18-2003, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AAARRRGGG!! Look at this, tell me what you think. **PIC** (youngkow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by youngkow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If oil is pooled up like that, its most likely the turbo seal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm confused, why is it that whenever there's oil in the intake pipes, the response is mostly oil seal? can't the exhaust oil seal get damaged as well without the compressor seal being damage thus blowing bluish smoke?
Old 06-19-2003, 12:38 AM

Default Re: AAARRRGGG!! Look at this, tell me what you think. **PIC** (_Endless_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _Endless_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i'm confused, why is it that whenever there's oil in the intake pipes, the response is mostly oil seal? can't the exhaust oil seal get damaged as well without the compressor seal being damage thus blowing bluish smoke? </TD></TR></TABLE>

trust me, it's not turbo seal... it's blow by..

if it's turbo seal, you would have been getting white smoke like crazy.. and that's what happened to me...

just get a catch can
Old 06-19-2003, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AAARRRGGG!! Look at this, tell me what you think. **PIC** (TurBoXBirD16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurBoXBirD16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

trust me, it's not turbo seal... it's blow by..

if it's turbo seal, you would have been getting white smoke like crazy.. and that's what happened to me...

just get a catch can
</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry i still don't get it. why would there be white smoke if it's the turbo seal? if the turbo oil seal is damaged then oil would flowout of the turbine right so it's should be?

by the way, would engine blow-by create sludge in the exhaust pipe?
Old 06-19-2003, 02:26 AM

Default Re: AAARRRGGG!! Look at this, tell me what you think. **PIC** (_Endless_)

Sludge in the exhaust pipe... sludge in the intake pipe... what's between both? :-P

test your compression then make your decision
Old 06-19-2003, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AAARRRGGG!! Look at this, tell me what you think. **PIC** (lazerus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazerus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sludge in the exhaust pipe... sludge in the intake pipe... what's between both? :-P

test your compression then make your decision</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't have any sludge on the intake pipe and there's no traces of oil at all in the charge pipe and inside the compressor, just the exhaust side.

by the way, can a compression test be accurate at pinpointing a ring problem? i heard leakdown would be best but i don't think there's any shop from where i live does a leakdown. any ideas?