Notices

'98 Dx d16y7 possibly turbo questions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 '98 Dx d16y7 possibly turbo questions?

I know there are a million threads and topics similar to this but i thought i would give it a shot. I have a '98 civic DX with a d16y7 in it. It has a cold air intake, headers and a greddy exhaust system but i am looking to get a turbo soon. Will i need anything more than just the turbo kit for istallation? Im not talking about how fast my car will blow up im just asking if anything else is required or not. Also, if you dont suggest a turbo what would be an alternative around the same cost, besides a swap or nitrous oxide. thank you.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '98 Dx d16y7 possibly turbo questions?

You may want new injectors, fuel pump and a tunable EMS.

Not familiar with that exhaust. If it's a catback system designed for a DX there are additional issues WRT the stock exhaust manifold if you wish to retain the CC. Maybe an additional O2 sensor bung too, equipment dependent.

Prepare to limp to the muffler shop regardless.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/guide-answer-common-question-just-bought-civic-how-do-i-make-faster-2915974/

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/complete-how-turbocharge-your-honda-rep-ing-hypnotik-speed-1263795/

Parts Needed:
--> Turbocharger: Pick which size and trim turbo is gonna work best for your application and goals
--> Exhaust Manifold: Either log/cast/equal length. Make sure it was made for your turbo (t3, 4bolt, 5bolt, dsm, etc.)
--> Downpipe: Again must be custom for your turbo/manifold choice. A flex pipe and o2 bung are nice to have while creating a downpipe
--> Wastegate: Choose a wastegate size (also what psi spring you'd like to run) according to application such as amount of air flow and psi from turbo
--> Intercooler: Choose either a FMIC (Front Mount InterCooler) or Side Mount Intercooler. Fmic is more bling bling :D as well as better cooling
--> Blow off valve: This is acutally an opional (but very recommended part). Doesnt really matter which one you choose. Pick a sound you like
-->Fuel Manegment: One of the most important parts on your turbocharged car. I would highly suggest running a programable chiped ecu or standalone device, but running a AFC hack controller can be used as well
--> Fuel Pump : You will probably need an upgraded fuel pump to support the added fuel consumption. Can be either internal or external
--> Injectors : To support added air induction, more fuel is need... hence bigger injectors. Buy size according to application
--> Map Sensor: Stock maps can only read up to ~10.63 psi, if you plan to go higher upgrade to a 2bar or 3bar map sensor
--> Intercooler Piping: You can buy a ic piping kit, but usally will always take some modification to fit your exact application
--> Couplers/t-bolts: You will need silicone couplers to bind the two ic pipes together as well as t-bolts (or screw clamps which i dont recommend) to tighten those couplers down
--> Oil drain/feed lines: Every turbo needs oil, so you must buy an oil feed and drain line kit. ss lines are recommend
--> Vacuum Manifold: Not required but recommened to help organize vacuum lines and allow for good vacuum sources
--> Gauges: although not required, it's highly recommend so you can keep some status of motor operation. boost/oil pressure highly recommened
--> Spark plugs: Although not required, turbo temps can get high, so i recommend you step down two steps colder in your spark plugs. Also copper too
Old 04-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deving916
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2915974

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1263795

Parts Needed:
--> Turbocharger: Pick which size and trim turbo is gonna work best for your application and goals
--> Exhaust Manifold: Either log/cast/equal length. Make sure it was made for your turbo (t3, 4bolt, 5bolt, dsm, etc.)
--> Downpipe: Again must be custom for your turbo/manifold choice. A flex pipe and o2 bung are nice to have while creating a downpipe
--> Wastegate: Choose a wastegate size (also what psi spring you'd like to run) according to application such as amount of air flow and psi from turbo
--> Intercooler: Choose either a FMIC (Front Mount InterCooler) or Side Mount Intercooler. Fmic is more bling bling :D as well as better cooling
--> Blow off valve: This is acutally an opional (but very recommended part). Doesnt really matter which one you choose. Pick a sound you like
-->Fuel Manegment: One of the most important parts on your turbocharged car. I would highly suggest running a programable chiped ecu or standalone device, but running a AFC hack controller can be used as well
--> Fuel Pump : You will probably need an upgraded fuel pump to support the added fuel consumption. Can be either internal or external
--> Injectors : To support added air induction, more fuel is need... hence bigger injectors. Buy size according to application
--> Map Sensor: Stock maps can only read up to ~10.63 psi, if you plan to go higher upgrade to a 2bar or 3bar map sensor
--> Intercooler Piping: You can buy a ic piping kit, but usally will always take some modification to fit your exact application
--> Couplers/t-bolts: You will need silicone couplers to bind the two ic pipes together as well as t-bolts (or screw clamps which i dont recommend) to tighten those couplers down
--> Oil drain/feed lines: Every turbo needs oil, so you must buy an oil feed and drain line kit. ss lines are recommend
--> Vacuum Manifold: Not required but recommened to help organize vacuum lines and allow for good vacuum sources
--> Gauges: although not required, it's highly recommend so you can keep some status of motor operation. boost/oil pressure highly recommened
--> Spark plugs: Although not required, turbo temps can get high, so i recommend you step down two steps colder in your spark plugs. Also copper too
This ^

Just to emphasize, make sure to upgrade your engine management. If you just add more air with the turbo and don't add fuel as well, you will destroy your motor.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should get a wideband, thats what that extra O2 bung is for, but your wideband should come with the bung. I have the MTX-L, its awesome. And nothing is better than turbo
Old 04-08-2012, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you guys for all your support. Another question What kind of Fuel pump, Injectors and Engine management system would you reccomend for this type of situation i am on a pretty tight budget. thank you.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:18 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're on a tight budget then it's not for you. The tune alone will set you back $500.

If you REALLY wanted to know all this instead of (apparently) having it spoon fed to you then you need to read the FAQ in the Forced Induction section (where this should have been posted int eh first place).
Old 04-08-2012, 05:20 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by deving916
Fuel Manegment: One of the most important parts on your turbocharged car. ... running a AFC hack controller can be used as well
This statement is just what it says it is, a 10-15 year old based HACK and should NOT be considered a real alternative to solid engine management by anyone worth their salt. Another reason why you should research YOURSELF and not listen to what anyone tells you on a forum (including me).
Old 04-08-2012, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds like pipe dreams to me... But it wouldn't be a bad idea to do an oil pump shim or overhaul. Y7's seem to have some oiling troubles even stock...
Old 04-08-2012, 06:59 AM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
If you're on a tight budget then it's not for you.
This
Old 04-08-2012, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Parts Needed:
--> Turbocharger: $400-$1800
--> Exhaust Manifold: $50-$400
--> Downpipe: $50-$200
--> Wastegate: $250
--> Intercooler: $75-$400
--> Blow off valve: $80-$250
--> Fuel Manegment: $300-$700
--> Fuel Pump: $80
--> Injectors: $100-$500
--> Map Sensor: $100
--> Intercooler Piping: $50-$200
--> Oil drain/feed lines: $50-$200
--> Gauges: $200-$800

So that's $1785-$5880 depending on what kind of power you want to make. Also don't forget what Marc said about the tune. If you tune it yourself, it will cost somewhere in the area of $150-$200/hr for dyno time. If they tune it for you, the cost is usually around $500.

I was lucky and found a used kit in the marketplace for a little more than a grand, with everything included but a BOV and a tapped oil pan.