Notices

48 views later and still no answer

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48 views later and still no answer

I posted yesterday my oil drain setup that I had. this isn't working for me and I wanted advice on how to fix it.

Drag 3 on a B16
I installed the manifold, turbo, and downpipe on my car. I ran the return from the turbo to the middle portion of the dep part of the pan.

Problem is that the drain is pushing up against the turbo and it will burn up if it stays there(duh). I moved the oil tap on the pan over to the beginning of the deep portion of the pan but I think I am still going to have interference with the downpipe. the pan tap is just a nipple not a weld on steel fitting.

out of all the people that are turbo here, which is pretty much everybody, I didn't get one answer. I know this is a common question and I did look it up in the search without much luck but this is the only thing left holding me back on being FI.

it seems like I'm missing a really small detail on the routing but it just hasn't worked out so far.

[Modified by 92JDMSiR, 5:09 AM 4/27/2002]
Old 04-26-2002, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 48 views later and still no answer (92JDMSiR)

im kind of confused, but what im assuming is your oil return line that you welded into your oil pan is being interfered with by the downpipe? If this is so, you need to move the oil return line a few inches to the opposite side of the downpipe and possibly have it at an angle. Before you install the oil return line, you should have the manifold/turbo/dpipe installed then eyeball from under your car where you want the oil return line to welded on atm so it wont interfere with the downpipe. if i didnt answer your question let me know or try to provide us with a picture. another good idea you can do is run heat reinforced material around your oil return hose to ensure it wont burn up. mine burned up on my h23a, but after some heat wrap i havnt had a problem since. good luck.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:01 PM
New User

Default Re: 48 views later and still no answer (92JDMSiR)

I have seen many of these problems and the solution is to get stainless steel braided lines instead of the rubber hose supplied from the kit. If you are using the supplied rubber hose, no matter how you route it, it will burn since it touches the downpipe. If you try to route it differently, you might have no downslope for the oil to return properly. The return line has to be in a downslope angle or else it goes back in the turbine. The way drag kits are setup, they should design the return line alittle better and supply better hardwares. I hope they fix that in Drag4 kit.
Old 04-27-2002, 04:39 AM

Default Re: 48 views later and still no answer (GudeH23a)

I'll try to get some pictures. the way I had the tap ont he pan before is pretty far into the deep end of the pan, and angled towards the turbo. now I have the tap were the shallow portion meets the deep portion but the tap is straight.