Notices

Moroso Oil pan help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moroso Oil pan help

Hey all-

I'm having some trouble with my Turbo setup. Mainly the downpipe side oil seals blew, we're pretty sure it's because of the oil return...

Long story short, when the turbo was on there I had WAAAY to much oil in there. I talked with Moroso, (after the turbo started smoking like CRAZY) and they said I needed to put in 5 qt's, and recalibrate my dipstick (sounded crazy, but I did it) i did it with the plug for the oil return line out and at about 4 and 1/4 qts, it started leaking out, i saved it (cuz i wanted to know how much leaked out) and it's just over 3/4ths of a quart...

My question is, is anyone using a Moroso pan on a b-series turbo setup? My specifics are the 20901 pan, and a b16 engine.

Thanks for any help you may offer.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Moroso Oil pan help (KornyCivic)

What do you do to recalibrate the dipstick, when i fille d up my pan yesterday it took almost 6qts before I got a good reading on the dipstick. I also noticed some smoking, do you think about 30 min of letyting it run like that will f up the seals in the turbo? Thnx
Old 05-16-2004, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does your pans have 2 ports on the front of them? or just 1
Old 05-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Moroso Oil pan help (B18C1CYA)

The position of the oil return line on the moroso pan is too low. It will not hold 5 quarts properly. Put in 4 quarts and you will notice it will not smoke anymore and that will solve your blowing seal problems.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same problem.i used to have to run 3.75 quarts and it would still smoke a littel. i drilled and tapped the block and i haven't had any smoking problem since
Old 05-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Moroso Oil pan help (turbotypeR)

IDK, the return on my Moroso pan was up pretty high, and I ran 5.5 Quarts of oil. This was on a b18c1, here is a pic:
Old 05-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had zero problems with my moroso pan on my b16, sorry I can't help with your problem but just letting you know.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:38 PM

Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

m R g S r My pan looks exactly like yours...bung seems to be in the same spot...but looks like others had problems like mine.

BodyKits NW you run 4 qt's all the time in that pan? have you had any trouble with oil pressure dropping? or not getting enough oil? I do autocross with my car and am concerned it might slosh the oil around so much that the pickup would come out of the oil and i'ld not be sucking any oil. how long has it been running like that? i can get about 4.25 quarts in mine before it comes out the return line bung so I may just do that...or retap it like turbotypeR did...sucks that such an expensive pan isn't built right...think i'll call Moroso and complain tell them they stink and they should fab me a custom pan with the bung nice and high :-)

B18C1CYA it has just one port in the front, there is one in the back too, but its WAAAY low and clearly for the oil temp sensor...

tegedrex I doubt you've hurt the turbo yet, but i'ld resolve it before I ran it much more. I ran mine for about a week before the seals went (that's the first time we realized there was a problem) according to Moroso you drain the pan and let it set empty with the plug off for a while (i let mine sit an hour) to make sure all the oil has drained out. then you put the plug back in and let the car sit level. then poor in 5 quarts of fresh oil plus you fill the filter with oil and poor that amount in (I had already been running my car so the filter was already full of oil (it doesn't drain down when you turn off the car) so I just drained it and put in 5 new quarts. then marked that level as the new full level. On the stock stick it was the same spot as the low mark, but I got an aftermarket "adjustable" dipstick from checker.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:55 AM

well I talked with Moroso this morning and when all was said and done they recomended running 4.5 quarts. they assured me that even with 4 quarts in their 5 quart pan I won't have any trouble with the pickup coming out of the oil even during hard cornering. I'm not to thrilled with their pan causing me problems, but...in the end I'm satisfied with their answer and i'm not expecting any problems.

Looking back, it wasn't worth 200 bucks for the pan though, i should have just put a bung in my stock pan and been done with it. *shrugs* such is life.

The pan still looks bad *** :-)
Old 05-18-2004, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hehe I told you

Glad Moroso was able to verify that. I am also unhappy with the pan. The only reason why I got it was because I thought I lost my stock oil pan. But my friend found it, but by the time he found it I had already traded someone for the moroso pan. It sux that they say and advertise it will hold 5 quarts, but it basically holds the same as stock.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Moroso Oil pan help (BodyKits NW)

What kind of Oil feed are you using???

You might want to consider an oil restrictor for your turbo.

on my stock b16 oil pan I normally put 5 qts of oil when I do an oil change cause. the motor burns oil anyways so i give it a half a qt extra so I don't have to keep putting oil and I had no problems.

Now I got an oil restrictor and will see if that will make a difference cause everyone says -4 line is big and the turbo is not suppose to see that much oil pressure.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a Moroso oil pan on my b16a2. Haven't had any problems that are mentioned here. It take exactly 5 quarts. With 4 quarts I get nothing on the dipstick. As soon as I put the 5th quart. Perfect!
Old 05-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KornyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well I talked with Moroso this morning and when all was said and done they recomended running 4.5 quarts. they assured me that even with 4 quarts in their 5 quart pan I won't have any trouble with the pickup coming out of the oil even during hard cornering. I'm not to thrilled with their pan causing me problems, but...in the end I'm satisfied with their answer and i'm not expecting any problems.

Looking back, it wasn't worth 200 bucks for the pan though, i should have just put a bung in my stock pan and been done with it. *shrugs* such is life.

The pan still looks bad *** :-)</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i'll buy the moroso pan off of you if you dont want it...
Old 05-21-2004, 07:09 AM

well I talked with Moroso this morning and when all was said and done they recomended running 4.5 quarts. they assured me that even with 4 quarts in their 5 quart pan I won't have any trouble with the pickup coming out of the oil even during hard cornering. I'm not to thrilled with their pan causing me problems, but...in the end I'm satisfied with their answer and i'm not expecting any problems.

The pan still looks bad *** :-)
Old 05-21-2004, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am actually not goin to use the Moroso pan with my new setup. My Full-Race downpipe won't clear it. So I am goin to post mine for sale soon.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Moroso Oil pan help (BodyKits NW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am actually not goin to use the Moroso pan with my new setup. My Full-Race downpipe won't clear it. So I am goin to post mine for sale soon. </TD></TR></TABLE>

really?

touches, but clears fine

i have 0 problems with mine too... gsr bottom end.
-3 feed, -10 return

i have the 2 ports up front on my pan... and i run about 6.2 quarts in her right now. 0 smoke.