Notices

2 fans on half size radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 01:02 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: 2 fans on half size radiator?

Originally Posted by thugsbryan
Ok so your saying I should use the Honda or Toyota coolant alone and not put any deionized water with it? And do I need to use a oil based antifreeze coolant like those still in a hot climate like mine where I don't have winter?
Honda OEM coolant is pre-distilled and mixed. The Toyota 50/50 is as well. No need to add additional additives except maybe some water wetter. And no need for any oil-based coolants/anti-freeze..
Keep it simple.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Honda OEM coolant is pre-distilled and mixed. The Toyota 50/50 is as well. No need to add additional additives except maybe some water wetter. And no need for any oil-based coolants/anti-freeze..
Keep it simple.
Ok but I was told at the parts shop that the honda and Toyota coolant are oil based that are 50% antifreeze and 50%coolant, it also says it on the bottle are oil based coolants good for hot climates?
Old 06-12-2018, 07:39 PM

Ok but I was told at the parts shop that the honda and Toyota coolant are oil based that are 50% antifreeze and 50%coolant, it also says it on the bottle are oil based coolants good for hot climates?
*Sigh*.. I know you want to make sure of things being proper, but you gotta get the hint here... YES. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS REASONABLE..YES..
Old 06-12-2018, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

*Sigh*.. I know you want to make sure of things being proper, but you gotta get the hint here... YES. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS REASONABLE..YES..
Ok
Old 06-14-2018, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I took the car in a long highway drive today, once my foot is on the gas the temp slowly goes up, if i back off the gas the temp starts going back down
If I go down a hill the temp goes down fast but once I start pressing the gas again the temp starts to go back up slowly
Once I start going up a slight hill the temp goes up,
Highest I seen it went going over a hill was 217
The car feels kinda lousy too especially going over a hill.
I have a aem serial Guage in the car and wen i have it on ignition I see it goes to between 16 and 20 going up hill and if I back off the gas it goes to about 34 or 35. Driving on a flat it reads between 20 to 24. This is below 3500rpm
Old 06-15-2018, 04:32 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

So I took the car in a long highway drive today, once my foot is on the gas the temp slowly goes up, if i back off the gas the temp starts going back down
If I go down a hill the temp goes down fast but once I start pressing the gas again the temp starts to go back up slowly
Once I start going up a slight hill the temp goes up,
Highest I seen it went going over a hill was 217
The car feels kinda lousy too especially going over a hill.
I have a aem serial Guage in the car and wen i have it on ignition I see it goes to between 16 and 20 going up hill and if I back off the gas it goes to about 34 or 35. Driving on a flat it reads between 20 to 24. This is below 3500rpm
I would definitely look into your timing as a part of the cause here. Question is when you are on the throttle and temp starts going up, ignition at 16-20 degrees what is your MAP sensor reading? You can safely add quite a bit of timing if you are still in high vacuum, say above 10-12". But if you are in boost then you may not want to mess with it too much.

I added a couple of degrees of timing in the portion of my table shown below, and tapered it into the rest of the map. After that my temps stopped creeping up on the highway completely.

I am on e85 and have my target AFR in vacuum set to 14.2:1. Running slightly richer than stoich helps keep things cool also.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
I would definitely look into your timing as a part of the cause here. Question is when you are on the throttle and temp starts going up, ignition at 16-20 degrees what is your MAP sensor reading? You can safely add quite a bit of timing if you are still in high vacuum, say above 10-12". But if you are in boost then you may not want to mess with it too much.

I added a couple of degrees of timing in the portion of my table shown below, and tapered it into the rest of the map. After that my temps stopped creeping up on the highway completely.

I am on e85 and have my target AFR in vacuum set to 14.2:1. Running slightly richer than stoich helps keep things cool also.

I haven't put back on the turbo as yet, I'm wondering if my timing is the problem,
I will have to let my tuner look at the timing and see.
While crusing my timing is mostly below 30
Going up hill it's below 20 and that's when the Temps start to rise faster.
Once my foot is off the gas the Temps goes down
Old 06-15-2018, 04:53 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't put back on the turbo as yet, I'm wondering if my timing is the problem,
I will have to let my tuner look at the timing and see.
While crusing my timing is mostly below 30
Going up hill it's below 20 and that's when the Temps start to rise faster.
Once my foot is off the gas the Temps goes down
While cruising I am sitting at 33-34 degrees most of the time now, after the changes I made. Before I was at 30-31 and it would heat up.

Going up hill it depends how much vacuum you are at to determine whether 20 degrees is appropriate, but it does seem pretty low.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
While cruising I am sitting at 33-34 degrees most of the time now, after the changes I made. Before I was at 30-31 and it would heat up.

Going up hill it depends how much vacuum you are at to determine whether 20 degrees is appropriate, but it does seem pretty low.
Ok gonna let the tuner look at my map
Old 08-02-2018, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dunno if you solved the problem bredren but it can also be the blockguard causing your temps to go up. every once in a blue moon a blockguard can cause your car to overheat too.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys update on this thread,
I have installed the spal 30102044 fan and it's improved my cooling a whole lot,
I'm gonna put back in the thermostat next and see if the temps get any better ,
I'm also gonna make some cuts in my bumper right in front the radiator.
I still have in the block guard, will leave removing it as a last resort.
But I would recommend this spal fan to anybody it works wonders and it fits the half size radiator perfectly
Old 08-02-2018, 11:52 AM

Ok guys update on this thread,
I have installed the spal 30102044 fan and it's improved my cooling a whole lot,
I'm gonna put back in the thermostat next and see if the temps get any better ,
I'm also gonna make some cuts in my bumper right in front the radiator.
I still have in the block guard, will leave removing it as a last resort.
But I would recommend this spal fan to anybody it works wonders and it fits the half size radiator perfectly
Don't you love it when a plan comes together? Putting in that thermostat with the right coolant as listed above will make things better.

Check that timing with the tuner also, but I told you, fans/radiators, make a HUGE difference.

Glad its coming along.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't you love it when a plan comes together? Putting in that thermostat with the right coolant as listed above will make things better.

Check that timing with the tuner also, but I told you, fans/radiators, make a HUGE difference.

Glad its coming along.
Yes thanks, a good fan really makes a big difference, im putting in back a OEM thermostat in soon too.
After I will check the timing with the tuner, thanks alot for the help,
I will update the thread after all this is done
Old 08-02-2018, 12:09 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Glad the fan helped hopefully it's not running constantly when you are on the highway though. This is where getting some more air through the bumper is critical.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Glad the fan helped hopefully it's not running constantly when you are on the highway though. This is where getting some more air through the bumper is critical.
Ye, it comes on on the highway but not often like before, i made a cooling plate an it seems to help with getting breeze to the radiator also, so I'm gonna make a few cuts in the bumper on the side where the radiator is and see how much that helps
Old 08-13-2018, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys I have put back in the oem thermostat , what is the best temp to set my fan to come on at? My stock fan switch brings on the fan at 217F which I think is too high
Old 08-13-2018, 07:50 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

It should come on at around 195°F
Old 08-13-2018, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
It should come on at around 195°F
Ok, i don't know but mine coming on at 217F when I let the fan switch bring in the fan, so I wanna know wat temp to set it at that's ideal
Old 08-13-2018, 10:55 AM

Ok, i don't know but mine coming on at 217F when I let the fan switch bring in the fan, so I wanna know wat temp to set it at that's ideal
How new is the thermostat? It may be sticking and old. If your software supports it, check any settings that the thermostat may be at via the software..

If your software doesn't support thermostat changes via its software, the thermostat is truly and OEM unit, and is not get old, it may be the block guard that you have in the block ( correct my if I'm mistaken, but you did state you had one installed that was not a CSS CNC WERX , right?)
Old 08-13-2018, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How new is the thermostat? It may be sticking and old. If your software supports it, check any settings that the thermostat may be at via the software..

If your software doesn't support thermostat changes via its software, the thermostat is truly and OEM unit, and is not get old, it may be the block guard that you have in the block ( correct my if I'm mistaken, but you did state you had one installed that was not a CSS CNC WERX , right?)
The thermostat is fairly new,it's OEM also, i have a AEM series 1 management running the car so I can set wat temp i want the fan to come on at, i don't know if it can control the thermostat tho, u would have to explaine to me how that works.
Yes I have in a block guard that's not CSS
Old 08-13-2018, 12:27 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

The thermostat is fairly new,it's OEM also, i have a AEM series 1 management running the car so I can set wat temp i want the fan to come on at, i don't know if it can control the thermostat tho, u would have to explaine to me how that works.
Yes I have in a block guard that's not CSS
Set the fan to come on at 195° in your AEM software.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Set the fan to come on at 195° in your AEM software.
Ok, that would be the most ideal temp to set it at?
Old 08-14-2018, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, that would be the most ideal temp to set it at?
I would not set it quite that high, by the time it cools coolant and cycles to your engine your temp could easily be over 200.

try 185 that's what I use. Also play arround with max speed fan setting this can vary for each setup depending on how much air flow the intercooler blocks and outside temp, I usually set this to about 60 mph otherwise my temp creeps up once my fan turns off due to my max fan speed being set too low.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:10 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
I would not set it quite that high, by the time it cools coolant and cycles to your engine your temp could easily be over 200.

try 185 that's what I use. Also play arround with max speed fan setting this can vary for each setup depending on how much air flow the intercooler blocks and outside temp, I usually set this to about 60 mph otherwise my temp creeps up once my fan turns off due to my max fan speed being set too low.
With my fan coming on at 195, the highest coolant temp I've seen is 199. And there's nothing wrong with going up to 200-205 occasionally. All a matter of preference, really. But this is how it was designed from Honda.

I know if I set my fan to come on lower, it just means it's going to be running a lot more.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed I don't freak out when it's 200-205 ideally I like it 185-195. I think 195 is factory spec I just prefer my fan to come on a bit sooner due to my intercooler.....radiator is not quite as efficient as oem.

2x what's your ambient temp like?

my experience is based on weather similar to the op

Quick Reply: 2 fans on half size radiator?