Notices

2 fans on half size radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 fans on half size radiator?

Hey guys,I'm trying to get my car to cool as best as I can,cause I live in Jamaica where it's really hot, I have a 99 jdm EK si civic, it has in a boosted b16 motor,
If i use 2 fans on my half size triple core aluminum radiator will it do more harm than good? One fan on the front of the radiator and one on the back, one pusher and one puller, stock puller and slim pusher
​​​​​
Old 06-05-2018, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2 fans on half size radiator?

Can't speak from experience but seems like more harm. Are you having cooling issues? I have a similar setup with one 13" Spal puller fan. Works fine for me.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SpiderX1016
Can't speak from experience but seems like more harm. Are you having cooling issues? I have a similar setup with one 13" Spal puller fan. Works fine for me.
I just think my car is running hotter than it should be, if I'm going up a hill it goes up to like 217F and if I'm driving on d highway the temp gradually goes up instead of down, in traffic it gradually goes up too, my fan comes on at 185F set from the ecu, i took out the thermostat also, i use regular coolant
Old 06-06-2018, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I would suggest a shrowd and a better fan...I would not suggest running a pusher/puller in conjunction w/ each other. You may also need to add some heat shielding or ducting (depending on the fitment of the setup)
Old 06-06-2018, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Autoworks
I would suggest a shrowd and a better fan...I would not suggest running a pusher/puller in conjunction w/ each other. You may also need to add some heat shielding or ducting (depending on the fitment of the setup)
I had a slim spal fan and a shroud on it and it didn't cool too well, im not sure of the type of spal fan tho as I got it from a friend an the model number was not on it, it's one of the older spals
Old 06-06-2018, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Autoworks
This x100. The amount of air/wind the "pusher" fan will block isn't worth it. Nothing can beat a good, high CFM puller setup with an appropriate shroud.

Originally Posted by thugsbryan
I had a slim spal fan and a shroud on it and it didn't cool too well, im not sure of the type of spal fan tho as I got it from a friend an the model number was not on it, it's one of the older spals
I'd be skeptical if it was a real Spal or not. Their 1200+ CFM fans should be able to work just fine for you.

It may also help to flush the radiator and make sure you're using quality coolant, maybe topping it off with some Redline or Royal Purple coolant additive. Heat wrap, ceramic coat, and shield any hot side components that may be transmitting heat.

As a last resort you could always try a half-sized triple core thick radiator. Personally I'm a huge fan of those when they can fit properly.

Edit: This is also important - If you don't have the factory AC condenser in place, and you're still using a half sized rad, you need to block off the open space left by the lack of condenser. Otherwise a lot of the air that should be hitting the radiator is going to be pushed around it.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
This x100. The amount of air/wind the "pusher" fan will block isn't worth it. Nothing can beat a good, high CFM puller setup with an appropriate shroud.

I'd be skeptical if it was a real Spal or not. Their 1200+ CFM fans should be able to work just fine for you.

It may also help to flush the radiator and make sure you're using quality coolant, maybe topping it off with some Redline or Royal Purple coolant additive. Heat wrap, ceramic coat, and shield any hot side components that may be transmitting heat.

As a last resort you could always try a half-sized triple core thick radiator. Personally I'm a huge fan of those when they can fit properly.

Edit: This is also important - If you don't have the factory AC condenser in place, and you're still using a half sized rad, you need to block off the open space left by the lack of condenser. Otherwise a lot of the air that should be hitting the radiator is going to be pushed around it.
The fan has spal Imprinted in it, I can't get d part number cause it's wore off, maybe it's a low cfm spal that's why it's not as efficient
I have in a brand new triple core radiator, i had in a dual core before and i got this triple core about a month now.
I use regular coolant that they sell here for tropical climate, didn't put any additives in it
Presently I don't have the turbo on the car, and the radiator is not in front of the exhaust Manifold.
I have in the factory ac condenser but it's not in front of my radiator, most of wat is blocking the radiator is the intercooler and air gets to the top of the radiator through the bumper grille.
Also I have a OEM fan on the radiator with a jpi brand flat fan on the front behind d intercooler(I thought I could get better cooling from using 2 fans)
I could post a pic of how everyting looks in the car but I don't know how to upload it here
​​​​
Old 06-06-2018, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh and I have a Evo style seibon carbon bonnet with the vent right above the exhaust Manifold too so alot a heat should be getting out
Old 06-06-2018, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 06-06-2018, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 06-06-2018, 01:58 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Am I missing something? Where is your wastegate dump tube...?
Old 06-06-2018, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Am I missing something? Where is your wastegate dump tube...?
I took the turbo off, will put it back on soon, wanted to get this cooling thing optimal first
Old 06-06-2018, 03:18 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Try running the puller only, and add some Water Wetter to your coolant. Also make cutouts in the front bumper cover anywhere you can to increase air flow.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Try running the puller only, and add some Water Wetter to your coolant. Also make cutouts in the front bumper cover anywhere you can to increase air flow.
Ok im gonna run d puller only and see, not sure I want to cut up my bumper tho, lol
Old 06-06-2018, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

I feel like something definitely isn't working properly/correctly if you're overheating even without the turbo. Although with the way it looks right now, it looks like your exhaust gasses may be dumping directly in front of the rad.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:43 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Ok im gonna run d puller only and see, not sure I want to cut up my bumper tho, lol
I understand not wanting to cut it, but would it be worth having all of your cooling problems go away? It’s made the biggest difference out of everything I’ve tried, and there might be areas that aren’t even visible you could trim to allow more air to flow around the IC.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
I feel like something definitely isn't working properly/correctly if you're overheating even without the turbo. Although with the way it looks right now, it looks like your exhaust gasses may be dumping directly in front of the rad.
The exhaust mani is in front the ac Condensor not the radiator,
Old 06-06-2018, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0

I understand not wanting to cut it, but would it be worth having all of your cooling problems go away? It’s made the biggest difference out of everything I’ve tried, and there might be areas that aren’t even visible you could trim to allow more air to flow around the IC.
I will see if it can be cut, I was thinking to run a duct from d open part of the bumper and direct it to d radiator
Old 06-06-2018, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pics of the size intercooler and the type of block guard I have in, I don't have in a thermostat either nor is my heater connected,

Old 06-07-2018, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i took the front fan off and it seems to be cooling worse in traffic the temp slowly goes up, it doesn't cool back down and the fan stays on
Old 06-07-2018, 07:10 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Well i took the front fan off and it seems to be cooling worse in traffic the temp slowly goes up, it doesn't cool back down and the fan stays on
Sounds like time for an upgraded high flow puller fan
Old 06-07-2018, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Sounds like time for an upgraded high flow puller fan
But shudnt a oem fan with a triple core radiator cool the car efficiently? And what cfm fan should I get if I'm to buy a spal? Are mishimoto fans just as good as spal or is the spal better ?
Old 06-07-2018, 08:56 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

But shudnt a oem fan with a triple core radiator cool the car efficiently? And what cfm fan should I get if I'm to buy a spal? Are mishimoto fans just as good as spal or is the spal better ?
No. The OEM would do even worse on something like a "triple core" super thick radiator. It just wasn't designed for this. the Mishimoto fan is just about eBay quality, as well as their radiator caps which tend to leak a lot.

SPAL has differing part numbers for their fans for specific purposes. Depending upon the size of the radiator. For the 13" you want the 30103044 Fan, for the 12" It's 30102029 fan Those are the best puller fans for these

That block guard really isn't helping things either, and may be why you're running hot in general. Those tapped in guards cause more harm than good for coolant flow throughout the block. Get rid of it.

Last edited by TheShodan; 06-07-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
No. The OEM would do even worse on something like a "triple core" super thick radiator. It just wasn't designed for this. the Mishimoto fan is just about eBay quality, as well as their radiator caps which tend to leak a lot.

SPAL has differing part numbers for their fans for specific purposes. Depending upon the size of the radiator. For the 13" you want the 30103044 Fan, for the 12" It's 30102929 fan Those are the best puller fans for these

That block guard really isn't helping things either, and may be why you're running hot in general. Those tapped in guards cause more harm than good for coolant flow throughout the block. Get rid of it.
Thanks shodan, I always value ur input over the years of following these forums.
If i can remember correctly when I had in the dual core radiator the car didn't cool as bad as now with this triple core,
I will stay away from mishimoto fans then.
I will check out those spal fans an see if i can get one. Can a 13' fan fit my radiator?
As for the block guard, I got the car with it in it, considering mine has so many holes I didnt think it wud affect cooling much but i just pulled the engine the other day and replaced rings also put on a brand new. 04 cometic head Gasket so I don't tink i will pull d engine again right now , can I reuse the cometic tho if I lift the head??
Is it hard to remove the block guard? It looks like it's in there kinda tight?
Old 06-07-2018, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also wud replacing the thermostat make the car cool any better?

Quick Reply: 2 fans on half size radiator?