Notices

`````Intercooler for 300whp, usdm integra type r

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default `````Intercooler for 300whp, usdm integra type r

hey guys so on the hunt for a quality intercooler for my 00 itr. Looking for something to support around 300whp and something that will fit into a usdm bumper nicely without hacking it up. I also have oem fogs. Was looking into fullrace but will that be too big? price is not an issue if you guys could send me a direct link, pics of insight that would be awesome. Ill be running a mini ram with oem full rad

http://www.full-race.com/store/inter...tercooler.html

this is one im considering but not sure if its too big

thanks for any help
Old 09-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: `````Intercooler for 300whp, usdm integra type r

I have a used Greddy Type 24 for sale $150. LMK It supports 600WHP.

If you are looking for a new one try a Vibrant, Garrett or Spearco.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Intercooler-L-31-x-W-12-x-T-3-delta-fin-3-/390652965017?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af4bb3099&vxp=mtr
80$ shipped, can't be beat. Can support over 500whp.

I have this exact intercooler on my LS.

I am one to use quality parts on important items (turbos manifolds wastegates blow off valves etc) but for an intercooler, as long as its functional, I will go for it. I'm sure there are more efficient intercooler designs out there, but that slight difference is not worth hundreds and hundreds of dollars to me.

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there such thing as having too big of an intercooler ?I'm not looking for something that can support a crazy amount of power just 300whp and fits nicely behind the bumper , if anyone can toss pics of their intercooler behind the bumper with the kind of intercooler and power they're making that would be awesome
Old 09-11-2013, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there's a thread about intercoolers... you should read through that.

FMIC for 300whp application, I would just get a treadstone TR6...
Old 09-11-2013, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As you can see I went big, Treadstone TR11 supports 600HP. It was hard to cut up the bumper of my pristine freshly painted CRX. I knew I wanted to make more power later so I got a turbo, intercooler, and fuel system with headroom. I hate buying parts twice.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Man U FTW

Originally Posted by milanoteggy
Is there such thing as having too big of an intercooler ?

Yes, there is. The larger the internal volume of the intercooler, the more air void to be filled by the turbo before you get boost.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Track Advocate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with a Precision 350HP interooler
Old 09-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember that intercoolers are rated for flywheel hp, not whp. So if you're shooting for 300whp, you may want to consider a FMIC that's rated for 400hp or so. That will also give you a bit of room to play with should you decide to turn the boost up some more.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a PWR core (same as full race) that's new, never used

Core is 24x8 (or 9) x3, no endtanks so you can make them fit your needs

Core was over 480 and I'm wanting nowhere near that

It's a high quality piece and cools much better than generic eBay units, not to mention has a higher flow rate and lower pressure drop at high boost levels

I'd stay away from precision because since they lost their Garrett contact they've started using China cores for their intercoolers, which I believe are shitty China clones so they could keep the same exterior appearance as the real Garrett cores they used to use (iirc)

If you're interested pm me. I'm asking for reasonable offers on the intercooler
Old 09-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
Yes, there is. The larger the internal volume of the intercooler, the more air void to be filled by the turbo before you get boost.
In Texas there is no such thing as too big of an intercooler in Texas. Ambient is 90-100 degrees 9 months out of the year.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
In Texas there is no such thing as too big of an intercooler in Texas. Ambient is 90-100 degrees 9 months out of the year.
This made me laugh. Florida is just as bad, maybe worse. The moisture here isn't any better.

But! At least we both have those late nights in the winter, right?

And for the OP, a generic eBay IC will work fine. It's Air to Air so it's not like a radiator or anything that actually has moving parts. Or you can get a name brand one used, just about any front mount will work for 300 whp.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:32 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Freemananana
This made me laugh. Florida is just as bad, maybe worse. The moisture here isn't any better.

But! At least we both have those late nights in the winter, right?

And for the OP, a generic eBay IC will work fine. It's Air to Air so it's not like a radiator or anything that actually has moving parts. Or you can get a name brand one used, just about any front mount will work for 300 whp.
Moving parts has nothing to do with the ability for the intercooler to do its job. You're correct in that for 300whp in a Honda application, one doesn't have to be the pickiest... However, there are legitimate reasons as to WHY the more expensive ones cost what they do, and its not all because of "name brand".

Take a look at the science behind it.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...3074553&page=3
Old 09-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Moving parts has nothing to do with the ability for the intercooler to do its job. You're correct in that for 300whp in a Honda application, one doesn't have to be the pickiest... However, there are legitimate reasons as to WHY the more expensive ones cost what they do, and its not all because of "name brand".

Take a look at the science behind it.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...3074553&page=3
I'm all for science! But it's not a terribly high amount of horsepower compared to what the engineering is actually capable. When I said moving parts I was referring to cheaply made items like say a distributor that has moving parts that could fail if it was bad design. An intercooler is basically fins to cool air as it is pushed by them. So it's not hard to get it right.

I am by no means saying name brand items aren't better. Just saying, in the Honda world, you can skimp on some things.

Also, do you really believe there is no mark up for the brand name? I've always speculated, no matter what the product, that brand recognition directly relates to higher pricing. A yes or a no is fine, I don't want to clutter this thread more than I have. haha. If you feel like ranting though, you can PM me, I love reading other peoples opinions.

Later.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:10 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm all for science! But it's not a terribly high amount of horsepower compared to what the engineering is actually capable. When I said moving parts I was referring to cheaply made items like say a distributor that has moving parts that could fail if it was bad design. An intercooler is basically fins to cool air as it is pushed by them. So it's not hard to get it right.

I am by no means saying name brand items aren't better. Just saying, in the Honda world, you can skimp on some things.
You'd be surprised how much you can get wrong skimping on things like this. Its the main reason why the Honda marketplace gets so popular. The first time the person "skimped" realizing they made a silly mistake over what would normally be considered something that "couldn't be messed up". (An endtank that was of cheap aluminum and broke off, or fins collapsing from just freeway speeds. cracking couplers because they were eBay, etc...), then try to sell it off to someone who doesn't mind "skimping" , so they can make something back for the better choice.. (or at least better for what they should have done in the first place ) that way it's all there for the next person to mess up with.. or at least be nice and cheap for something that may not make much of a difference for their particular application.

TONS of companies that copy the real deal get it wrong. They just know they won't have to sit in the hot seat after someone has purchased their item, destroyed and wants compensation for it, only for them to either deny harshly or never to be found again.. happens ALL THE TIME.

Also, do you really believe there is no mark up for the brand name? I've always speculated, no matter what the product, that brand recognition directly relates to higher pricing. A yes or a no is fine, I don't want to clutter this thread more than I have. haha. If you feel like ranting though, you can PM me, I love reading other peoples opinions.
Later.
I think for some reason you're under the impression that I'm angry about something, when I'm actually not. I'm just entertained by the nativity of your thought process of some of the aspects of turbocharging regardless of "power level".

I do understand that you're trying to keep the approach simple, which is great..I'm ALL about simplicity.. but simplicity doesn't mean.. SKIMPING out.. in for the sake of simplicity... If i'm incorrect, please just tell me, as this is the interwebs, and I understand interpretations can be incorrect. But yes, there's going to be some brand recognition markup associated with many items. But that's not always a bad thing... in the end, you get... what you pay for.

But by all means.. Please.....carry on

Last edited by TheShodan; 09-13-2013 at 11:29 AM.