Notices

***The Official Nitrous Thread***

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: ***The Official Nitrous Thread***

Originally Posted by SiRCiviC94
gauges seem to be working on point. at my cross over NA im seeing about mid 14's afr then after 6 low 14 and after that 13's then 12's. thats with the fuel pressure bumped up high too so aslong as this unit increses fuel at the injectors, and ill be watching, im good.

im going to bring a magnifying glass but just learning to read plugs! looking for the famous ground strap somewhere there and how many rings are heat discoloured and adjust timing, fuel pressure, and bottle pressure accordingly.

interesting !

edit, it jumps from rich to 14's stoich in the cross over and then richens up once you get closer to 8000.
14's @ full throttle is unhealthy and probably robbing power
what management are you running? stock ecu with stock chip?
stock should be 13's accross the board and maybe dropping into 12's near redline
what wideband do you have?
Old 07-12-2011, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cant get it to run 12's afr spraying without upping the fuel jet to 65hp shot vs 55 nitrous. pic of plugs next runs hoping for good afr readings and solid fuel pressure through 2 gears this time. maybe second gear one of these times :D
stop spraying @ mid-high 13's afr !!!

no reason not to put in the 65 jet, jet's are irrelevant, enough fuel is!
put in the 65 jet and see what it does!

let us know, btw the pic you send me was blurry as ****. need a sharp one

you're getting somewhere
Old 07-12-2011, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wolve
11.2@92 on 1000ft sounds like more then 165whp, maybe just a tough dyno?!

it's on crome, oke that a good first step.
what are the afr's, and wich timing did you use as a base and what did you do to it?

as SoHc94 said, lower vtec to about 4500-5000rpm. crossover should be smooth/seamless. right now it probably feels like your getting rearended

and uhhh, just throw a 50-75 shot on it when you get it to run proper NA and start learning. then start upping and when you get beyond 300whp you are probably acking to build something purpose build

simple 150shot should be fun on this one
From what I know about the chip.. P30 basemap upsized for a 1.8l and a 9200 rev limit. (chip was not intended to be used on my setup.. Just what we had to work with.. Bad idea I know.) I'm think a diff basemap would be a good idea but I'm unsure.. Obviously it needs tuned by a professional.

Timing is at 17*, fp 41 psi, af before vtec was right at 13.1 and in vtec 13.1-12.8 from what I remember..

I'll be able to make my first nitrous run on the dyno and plan jet it at 55 shot.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wolve the fuel pressure is so high right now NA its pushing 11's if I floor it under vtec and will touch a 14 high 13 on cross over and go back down to low 13-mid 12 at 8k. its an AEM wideband

I couldnt believe the zex wasnt making it run pig rich with 917psi low pressure but over 50psi fuel pressure. I was going to run around 1000psi but the autoheater was tuned for 917. the timing was retarted one bar on the crank pulley -2.

I would go out and put a 65hp set and run around 1000psi but I know it wont be rich enough! lost on next step unless I need a fuel pump :S or some bigger engine injectors.

anyway if i squeeze more power outa the 55shot and run rich nice looking plugs thats enough for a month or so
Old 07-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

depends on setup, on my 321whp setup they where too hot

might had something to do with my cast header tough
Yeah, I've seen some high 300hp nitrous K's running 8's with no problems. B series come stock with 6's right? So 8's would be 2 steps colder, which would seem about perfect for that much HP increase with a B series maybe step to 9's, but I dont really see it being necessary. I guess every setup is different though and all you can really do is check the plugs to make sure they are proper and run what works for your setup.

going to try to start my own setup up for the first time tonight!!!

will be breakin it in and have it inspectedtonight tomorrow.
running inspection trim right now (GSR exh mani, oem D16z6 exhaust with cat, stock injectors)

monday evening: first cranking ever on this pieced together DIY build long block and break in.
tuesday evening: breaking in further and fine tuning for inspection/emissions testing, fixing possible issues discovered in inspection
wednesday afternoon: possible re-inspection/emissions
thursday morning/afternoon: making the setup raceready.
- alignment
- headerswap (need to fix some cracks in it to)
- exhaust swap
- FTS installation
- wiring in my ID1000's + tuning them
- nitrous (wiring/filling bottle/testing/tuning)
- installing tractionbar
- freshening my oil and filter (breaking should be completed now...)
- packing
- etc.

i'll be heading to the event thursday evening for a raceweekend on a freshly build engine and a streettune on pumpgas.

so results next week, but nothing spectaculair probably due to time/money constraints. i'm happy if i make the event and it all stays together
Cant wait to see how it does
Old 07-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

@wolve At this moment i'm driving a CRX the swift has allot of work on the bottem and i don't feel like picking that project up anytime soon probably
Just ran the car for the second time at automaxxsummerediton this weekend but can't get it off the line properly in combination with the full throtle switch and launchcontrol. That's why i wanna add a shifter button so i can use my launchcontrol properly at the start and push in the button at the moment i like.
My car
Old 07-13-2011, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K20egcw
Yeah, I've seen some high 300hp nitrous K's running 8's with no problems. B series come stock with 6's right? So 8's would be 2 steps colder, which would seem about perfect for that much HP increase with a B series maybe step to 9's, but I dont really see it being necessary. I guess every setup is different though and all you can really do is check the plugs to make sure they are proper and run what works for your setup.
heat range has a lot to do with shot size, header/exhaust, tuning and efficiency of the engine setup (B vs K)

you can determine it quickly by looking at the threads of the plug. if it likes a 10, give it. if it's oke with a 7, go ahead...

Originally Posted by K20egcw
Cant wait to see how it does
started up without a hiccup, broke it in and got it inspected/tested. emissions came out perfect on a freshly built engine with 30miles on it. suprised me
finished up last issues we came across during inspection last night and going again today to get approved.
making the car raceready tomorrow!!!

car runs like a charm, even the wifey likes driving it
Old 07-13-2011, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by aRandy
@wolve At this moment i'm driving a CRX the swift has allot of work on the bottem and i don't feel like picking that project up anytime soon probably
Just ran the car for the second time at automaxxsummerediton this weekend but can't get it off the line properly in combination with the full throtle switch and launchcontrol. That's why i wanna add a shifter button so i can use my launchcontrol properly at the start and push in the button at the moment i like.
My car
looks like a fun simple setup capable of some nice 12's

quit running launch control on radials!
work the clutch/throttle, you'll get a whole lot quicker off the line and only full throttle it (and thus activating spray) when you have traction in first.

i ran a 2.0 on street tires and my mate ran a 1.9 on street tires this way (prepped track tough) but 2.2 60fts are cake on regular pavement and streettires!

what are your times thusfar?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My times so far suck that's why i want use the traction control. I have a set of yokahama semislicks for Drachten but need to put them on my lightweight rims. First time i was there it wasn't 100% dry also did 3 runs and went home again.
The 1/8 mile @ summeredition was 135km/h with a 9.3 i think.
I need some more practice with launching probably
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9jAtrVpbVg
Old 07-13-2011, 03:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

160kmh (100mph) indicates sub 200whp
you can probably use some tuning

i ran 13.6@164kmh on a worse surface then drachten (13.3@164kmh at santapod) with a 193whp setup (bone stock 96spec ITR swap in a EJ1)

with some tuning and driving you should just dip into the 12's

p.s. do you have a window switch, it sounded like you hit the limiter on spray
Old 07-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Never had it dynod think with nitrous it should be around 250whp or so it's the start that kills me and on a wet track with allot of wheelspin youre not gonna make good times either.
No window switch had one but my tuner advised against it, he told me a little bang on the end doesn't hurt to much.

I'll post again when i made improvements.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get her running 12.5 and going down towards 8k it was the chipped computer. A stock P30 ran richer off the bat which made me pleased and confident :D

now for pictures of the plugs after a solid pull.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

started up without a hiccup, broke it in and got it inspected/tested. emissions came out perfect on a freshly built engine with 30miles on it. suprised me
finished up last issues we came across during inspection last night and going again today to get approved.
making the car raceready tomorrow!!!

car runs like a charm, even the wifey likes driving it
Very nice sir! Glad its running like a charm, now go beat on it at the track and bring back those 10 second slips
Old 07-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so I changed the computer and did the pull in 12's afr drove home motor runs great! but of coarse i check the plugs lol what is this stuff? I rubbed it off, wish I knew locals who use this stuff it packs a good punch for low shot. help.

do i need new plugs? they work fine I can get a new set and tune some more next week. the car is running on a bottle of lucas octane booster and high octane afr was ok .

**from what I read its from the fuel additive. I want to use this but not sure how tuned it is, the afr was steady all the way up once activated no sounds just a great running engine

next step?

Last edited by SiRCiviC94; 07-13-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ pics are too blurry
Old 07-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This system should richen up the mixture on it's own I thought but I'm running like 13 afr just highway cruising now. Fpr needs adjusted for daily/racing which is annoying
Old 07-18-2011, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 07-18-2011, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

had a fun but horrible weekend....

fun with my friends/wifey and horrible as far as results.

went for inspectionon wednesday, was on time for inspection but was to late to get it approved. needed to return thursday morning for approval.
installed tractionbar (needed to modify the subframe quite a bit, as i bought my car as a "wreck") and solid mounts early, went to get approval and went back to my garage. and swapped:
- exhaust mani
- exhaust line
- injectors and clips

wired and installed the whole nitrous setup (progressive controller, heater, inline fuel pump and nitrous solenoid), loaded up everything i anticipated needing in the weekend and well before i knew it was almost midnight. went to sleep and packed our bags and the car friday morning and went on the way. wifey roughly streettuned (no datalogging, gave me errors) the car on the road per my directions (VSS went crazy causing the ecu to do all sorts of strange ****, fixed that by disabling all the vss dependant stuff in the ecu)

at the inspection on the track they told me i was'nt allowed to run coolant, only water allowed because oil/coolant downs. drained the coolant and filled up with water, thermostat would'nt open anymore, not even at 100C (water was boiling). drained again and ditched the thermostat, again trapped air caused it to overheat without thermostat. hotwired the fan and went for it (this **** made me miss out my first run), just NA tough to see if it would run right.

first run (be reminded, setup have'nt driven anything hard on the track/street in 2 years):

13.5@102mph with a 1.9 60ft (first time slicks, shifting slow on a rough/safe street tune)
was pleased that the setup ran strong, shifting was butter at over 9krpm and quite good power for a 11:1 gsr on s2s1's and stock casted exhaust mani (indicated by the 102mph).

got all excited and setup the spray for a progressive 100shot and went for it again. spray did'nt come on and i bummed out. back at the tent i went searching to only find out that the removed thermostat and hotwired fan made it ran cooler then my lower limit of the parameters i'd set in ectune. corrected that and waited for the next session (last session of the day).

lowered tire psi from 10 to 8 for the extra power and lined up. car bogged and ran like crap... was adding fuel and retarding ignition but no nitrous.... getting really aggrevated at this point and started to look for the next issue. a coupler on my hard line cam loose allowing the nitrous to come out the easy way instead of trough the jets. checked everything now, swapped wheels and installed passenger seat to grab a bite and go do some tuning on the highway.... for some reason, the car suddenly became a nonvtec every now and then, alternating from lean to rich during pulls and giving me **** (madness at midnight ).

gave up and tried again next morning in hope of some luck, but no vtec dying at 6500-7000rpm resulting in a 16 sec run. gave up and just focused on having some kind of fun weekend. .

doing **** in a hurry is a serious recipy for frustration. and murphy's law bit me in the ****!!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hit the gas past an lsv hatch
Old 07-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry you had a bad weekend wolve.. if there's anything i can help you with let me know.. sounds like vtec kicking on and off is due to wiring.. check your wiring your ground and what not..

Also.. vtec kicking on and off can be indictive of the thermostat. Check your vtec info settings make sure you have all that crap disabled if the car is running too high ectune will turn vtec off for protection.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats up honda tech. For the past couple months ive been sourcing parts for a mid budget nitrous build. it will consist of the following-

Fist of all, the car has a stock 99 CTR swap.

So,

100% stock ctr top end ( IM, head, and Header, all factory CTR)

LS crank
ls eagle rods
arias 12.0 pistons
head studs.

100-150 driect port
crome
450 Rc injectors
walboro 255

My questions are this. I want the car to make as much power as it can off the bottle, and of course, as much safe power as it can on the bottle. Is there a way i can have 2 diffrent maps using a single crome chip? Maybe something i can toggle between with the AC input?

Question 2- If i ran an auxilary fuel cell, do i have to regulate the system? Or can i just run a pump to the solenoid? Un regulated?

And can i just use a stock civic fuel pump to power my auxilary fuel system? I would imagine the demand would be very little.

Thanks HT.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

had a fun but horrible weekend....

fun with my friends/wifey and horrible as far as results.

went for inspectionon wednesday, was on time for inspection but was to late to get it approved. needed to return thursday morning for approval.
installed tractionbar (needed to modify the subframe quite a bit, as i bought my car as a "wreck") and solid mounts early, went to get approval and went back to my garage. and swapped:
- exhaust mani
- exhaust line
- injectors and clips

wired and installed the whole nitrous setup (progressive controller, heater, inline fuel pump and nitrous solenoid), loaded up everything i anticipated needing in the weekend and well before i knew it was almost midnight. went to sleep and packed our bags and the car friday morning and went on the way. wifey roughly streettuned (no datalogging, gave me errors) the car on the road per my directions (VSS went crazy causing the ecu to do all sorts of strange ****, fixed that by disabling all the vss dependant stuff in the ecu)

at the inspection on the track they told me i was'nt allowed to run coolant, only water allowed because oil/coolant downs. drained the coolant and filled up with water, thermostat would'nt open anymore, not even at 100C (water was boiling). drained again and ditched the thermostat, again trapped air caused it to overheat without thermostat. hotwired the fan and went for it (this **** made me miss out my first run), just NA tough to see if it would run right.

first run (be reminded, setup have'nt driven anything hard on the track/street in 2 years):

13.5@102mph with a 1.9 60ft (first time slicks, shifting slow on a rough/safe street tune)
was pleased that the setup ran strong, shifting was butter at over 9krpm and quite good power for a 11:1 gsr on s2s1's and stock casted exhaust mani (indicated by the 102mph).

got all excited and setup the spray for a progressive 100shot and went for it again. spray did'nt come on and i bummed out. back at the tent i went searching to only find out that the removed thermostat and hotwired fan made it ran cooler then my lower limit of the parameters i'd set in ectune. corrected that and waited for the next session (last session of the day).

lowered tire psi from 10 to 8 for the extra power and lined up. car bogged and ran like crap... was adding fuel and retarding ignition but no nitrous.... getting really aggrevated at this point and started to look for the next issue. a coupler on my hard line cam loose allowing the nitrous to come out the easy way instead of trough the jets. checked everything now, swapped wheels and installed passenger seat to grab a bite and go do some tuning on the highway.... for some reason, the car suddenly became a nonvtec every now and then, alternating from lean to rich during pulls and giving me **** (madness at midnight ).

gave up and tried again next morning in hope of some luck, but no vtec dying at 6500-7000rpm resulting in a 16 sec run. gave up and just focused on having some kind of fun weekend. .

doing **** in a hurry is a serious recipy for frustration. and murphy's law bit me in the ****!!!!
Damn, sounds like one hell of a weekend. Just give it time to work out the bugs and I'm sure you'll get the number your looking for I hate having problems come up like that cause it does indeed get really frustrating lol.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wooooo 2nd and 3rd go fast !!! Holds a steady 12.5 at 50psi or so. 970 psi in the bottle. Feels great! -2 timing
Old 07-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice
Old 07-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wooooo 2nd and 3rd go fast !!! Holds a steady 12.5 at 50psi or so. 970 psi in the bottle. Feels great! -2 timing
now ditch the octane booster, just run premium and save money. it'll be fine!!!

up to a 100shot you don't have to worry about octane booster

Quick Reply: ***The Official Nitrous Thread***