Troubleshooting tuning: car is progressively leaning out after warmup

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting tuning: car is progressively leaning out after warmup

running hondata

vehicle:95 honda civic coupe, d16zc sohc non vtec. boosted vitara+rods combo

specific problem: car was tuned and ran nicely for about 2 hours.... then it slowly started to lean out to the point where the car was idling in the 15afr's and light cruising in the 16-17 with what felt to be a misfire. however it would run with a decent afr if holding the throttle steady, but any throttle movement would instantly bog the motor and afrs would lean off the charts. the kicker is it really only seems to do this once the car gets up to operating temperatures.

running bkr7e's gapped to .026thou, new cap and rotor, new iacv, new tps thats been calibrated, changed plug wires, fuel pump was brand new with less than 60 miles on it, injectors are also brand new, fuel line has been tucked which could cause fueling issues?, adjustable aem fpr and gauge reads 47psi at idle. swapped to oem honda fpr and problem persisted. im feeling like its a fuel or spark issues, related to something being heat-soaked, but i'm not ruling out any and all possibilities. i finally finished my build after a year, and all i want to do is drive this thing but it is currently undriveable in this condition.

i have datalogs and a calibration but cant attach here, perhaps someone can spot something out of the normal. i attached a couple pictures of fuel and ignition tables parameters, also the deadtimes i have set for rc750's,
Old 01-21-2024, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Troubleshooting tuning: car is progressively leaning out after warmup

Originally Posted by fadebrigade
running hondata

vehicle:95 honda civic coupe, d16zc sohc non vtec. boosted vitara+rods combo

specific problem: car was tuned and ran nicely for about 2 hours.... then it slowly started to lean out to the point where the car was idling in the 15afr's and light cruising in the 16-17 with what felt to be a misfire. however it would run with a decent afr if holding the throttle steady, but any throttle movement would instantly bog the motor and afrs would lean off the charts. the kicker is it really only seems to do this once the car gets up to operating temperatures.

running bkr7e's gapped to .026thou, new cap and rotor, new iacv, new tps thats been calibrated, changed plug wires, fuel pump was brand new with less than 60 miles on it, injectors are also brand new, fuel line has been tucked which could cause fueling issues?, adjustable aem fpr and gauge reads 47psi at idle. swapped to oem honda fpr and problem persisted. im feeling like its a fuel or spark issues, related to something being heat-soaked, but i'm not ruling out any and all possibilities. i finally finished my build after a year, and all i want to do is drive this thing but it is currently undriveable in this condition.

i have datalogs and a calibration but cant attach here, perhaps someone can spot something out of the normal. i attached a couple pictures of fuel and ignition tables parameters, also the deadtimes i have set for rc750's,

Any chance you ever figured this out? I am currently having the same issue and having been trying to figure it our for close to a year now, so frustrating. Any input is greatly appreciated!