Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Solid Cel in Crome every time ectune basemap runs mint

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:23 PM
wrenchin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Solid Cel in Crome every time ectune basemap runs mint

ok, lemme start by saying i'm still a noob with the actual art of tuning, and burning chips and all of that. i'm learning by the day, but its been frustrating with this car.

setup is, greddy kit on a 96 gsr. 450s, obd1 conversion harness and chipped p06 with vtec. the ecu is fine. right now, the car is running on an ectune basemap from xenocron, and it runs great. watching the wideband, it just needs some leaning out in vacuum and a little smoothing in boost. soooooo, my friend luke (lkailburn on here) has been attempting to tune my car. problem is, the car refuses to run a crome basemap. he has a willem burner, and has burned 100s of chips with it. we found out the basemap xeno sent me in ectune is nearly identical to a crome map available on his site. we've tried downloading this map and putting it on a chip, but we get a solid cel every time. the car will start up and idle fine, which is weird. but it throws the cel. we've tried making completely new basemaps too, to no avail. everything throws a solid cel. we've tried 4 different chips, his willem burner, my burn1 burner, and two different laptops. i deleted crome, re-installed it, deleted my burn1 software and re-installed it, and swapped to another good ecu. no luck. luke summed it up best when he said, "it seems like the car is infected by ectune, and refuses to run on anything else."

does anyone have any ideas? or can someone send me a known good GSR map so i can try it? i really want to get the car tuned asap.

one other thing... are my IABs in my gsr manifold default open or closed? i cant control them with a p30 base code, so if they are default closed i wanted to zip tie them open.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:55 PM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Solid Cel in Crome every time ectune basemap runs mint (I Have an STD)

when you say solid cel, the fuel pump primes and the CEL light never goes off right?

In the map, did you remove the checksum routine?

and just because the maps look the same, doesnt mean they are the same. Looks are very deceiving. Especially with crome where its hard to decipher the real meaning of the numbers.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Solid Cel in Crome every time ectune basemap runs mint (98vtec)

Have you tried checking your codes to make sure it's not just something that needs to be disabled?
Old 04-20-2008, 01:59 PM
wrenchin'

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you say solid cel, the fuel pump primes and the CEL light never goes off right?

In the map, did you remove the checksum routine?

and just because the maps look the same, doesnt mean they are the same. Looks are very deceiving. Especially with crome where its hard to decipher the real meaning of the numbers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

fuel pump primes, engine light turns off then right back on. car will start, and rev normally, like the chip is good, but the cel is solid. plug the ectune basemap back in, and the car runs perfect, no cel. checksum removed from every chip we burn. the car does the same thing with the ostrich.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HRTuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you tried checking your codes to make sure it's not just something that needs to be disabled?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep. solid cel. i'm 100% sure i'm checking it correctly.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:05 PM
wrenchin'

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and just because the maps look the same, doesnt mean they are the same. Looks are very deceiving. Especially with crome where its hard to decipher the real meaning of the numbers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would agree with you, but the number values are identical. the only thing that was changed was the upper end of the vtec map was richened. thats it.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:30 PM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Solid Cel in Crome every time ectune basemap runs mint (I Have an STD)

different system.

its not a true solid cel if the car will idle and rev properly.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:41 PM
wrenchin'

well then whats the problem? if i cant check the check engine light, but the car still runs, whats wrong?
Old 04-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Have an STD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well then whats the problem? if i cant check the check engine light, but the car still runs, whats wrong?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Check the CEL while the car is running.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:59 PM
wrenchin'

Default Re: Solid Cel in Crome every time ectune basemap runs mint (SovXietday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Check the CEL while the car is running.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have. solid.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm.

I just had the EXACT problem a few weeks ago with crome and an xenocron crome basemap and ecu.He made me a basemap and it ran fine,tried to tune it myself on crome and I could not get a chip in it that wouldn't throw a solid cell but it did start.It just idle weird.I tried new chips,2 diffrent ostriches and nothing worked,but If i put the xeno basemap back in it would work fine.I even erased the chip I got from him and made a new basemap on the chip it and it still wouldnt work,but when I re uploaded his map it worked fine so I know it wasn't my chips or burn1.This was with me making maps on a fresh crome free install and I know I had all my settings right.

I ended up buying ectune and the problem magically fixed itself?.The only thing I did was take out the zif socket and just plug the ostrich cable directly in the 28 pin socket on the ecu.Since then Im scared to unplug my ostrich because I think if I do the problem might come back.Not like I need to unplug it anyway.I I know it wasnt in anyway chris fault since I tried another ecu I already had and it's most likely some crome weirdness
Old 04-21-2008, 01:36 AM
wrenchin'

Default Re: Solid Cel in Crome every time ectune basemap runs mint (cbustuner)

well, i wont be spending $450 on ectune right now. it is not in the budget.

so is there a real solution to this?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you using an older Amtel chip instead of a 27FS515 or whatever the standard one is now? I've seen this happen a couple of times with those... make sure you delete the chip first. If you burn in Crome it does it for you automatically, but I see you're using "burn1 software", which would be flash&burn I guess... I know that doesn't delete it automatically. Also, not saying you're doing it all wrong but make sure when you jump the SCS it's actually working right, like if the harness is cut or something it won't work... best bet is to look in the data logger or ground the SCS wire at the ecu harness.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:37 AM
wrenchin'

Default Re: Solid Cel in Crome every time ectune basemap runs mint (downest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by downest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you using an older Amtel chip instead of a 27FS515 or whatever the standard one is now? I've seen this happen a couple of times with those... make sure you delete the chip first. If you burn in Crome it does it for you automatically, but I see you're using "burn1 software", which would be flash&burn I guess... I know that doesn't delete it automatically. Also, not saying you're doing it all wrong but make sure when you jump the SCS it's actually working right, like if the harness is cut or something it won't work... best bet is to look in the data logger or ground the SCS wire at the ecu harness.</TD></TR></TABLE>

using the SST chip, i delete the chip ever time and blank check it before burning, and verify it after burning. im 100% sure im jumping it right, the harness is 100% oem, so there are no breaks anywhere, and the abs light come on/flashes when i connect to it, indicating that it is DEF jumping the wires.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the starting offset set to 8000? The SSTs need that when burning instead of 0000 like the standard xxc256
Old 04-22-2008, 12:28 AM
wrenchin'

Default Re: Solid Cel in Crome every time ectune basemap runs mint (HRTuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HRTuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is the starting offset set to 8000? The SSTs need that when burning instead of 0000 like the standard xxc256</TD></TR></TABLE>

i figured that out yeterday. i got a crome basemap to work. now we'll see if we can actually get it tuned on thursday
Old 04-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Solid Cel in Crome every time ectune basemap runs mint (HRTuning)

Every now and then I get this same problem for no apparent reason.
I will get very pissed and can't figure out what is going on... Close the rom and start from scratch, same thing.... Close Crome all together and start with a new rom, same thing....
Restart the laptop and all is good. Crome is very finicky.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:32 PM
wrenchin'

now freelog doesnt work. great.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I Have an STD)

which version of crome are you using?

in my experience, if you are running anything other than version 1.2, forget it. The Beta versions are still filled with bugs and have not received updates in a while.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:32 PM
wrenchin'

Default Re: (MOVE OVER)

its not crome thats the problem now. we're using the newest version.

the RPM, O2, ECT, TPS, and Speed all give really random reading when trying to get freelog to datalog.

weird thing is, with KOEO, the car just says 25 for TPS, no matter if you push down the pedal or not. with KOER, the TPS seems to work fine. the only parameters that seem to give a good reading are the map sensor and maybe the IAT. someone please help.

we tried with a known working ecu, with known working freelog and crome. everything worked fine in a friends car, but 2 minutes later when we transfer the ecu to my car, i get the weird readings... why? only diff between the two cars was one in a sohc and one is a gsr. both obd2-obd1. both 450s, both stock map sensor, both crome free.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I Have an STD)

Another reason to not work with Crome.
You will hear it a lot more now than you used to, but Crome just isn't a good choice, comparitively... especially the free version with no internal datalogging capability.

I use Crome to tune other peoples cars, but it is almost always more headache than its worth.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:34 PM
wrenchin'

Default Re: (MOVE OVER)

its not crome though. crome is working perfectly fine. we hooked up the ostrich and the RTP was working mint. obviously we could only really tune idle AFR because we couldnt datalog. the problem is not crome, its freelog now.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's probably a sensor you have to disable.
You can get eCtune for less then 450$
I can't tell you want to do..
You can use the logger version and see what's going on.

Be sure to check your error codes...
That could lead to your problem
Old 05-03-2008, 04:57 AM
wrenchin'

Default Re: (calvinPGMFI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by calvinPGMFI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's probably a sensor you have to disable.
You can get eCtune for less then 450$
I can't tell you want to do..
You can use the logger version and see what's going on.

Be sure to check your error codes...
That could lead to your problem</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the post calvin! i'd love to get ectune, its just not in the budget right now.

we got the car tuned. we needed the newest version of freelog to make it work, but it runs real nice now. thanks for your help guys.