Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Part Throttle Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part Throttle Tuning

Can someone give me a quick shake down on how they tune their part throttle. Just want to see how everybody do theirs on street tune. Also...

Do you tune just the cells that data been recorded during part throttle, or the whole column, or tune just the highlighted cells (During Using Quad Cells)?

Also do you use Quad cells or Single cells during driving for part throttle?

I usually just tune using quad cells and if 4 cells highlighted and Lambda says 16.1 afr I will lower those 4 cells that is highlighter during quadcells, but does give a lumpy 2d map. I'll go back and refix them in 2d map to make smooth line by moving them around.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Part Throttle Tuning

AF

drive with steady and slow throttle
hold rpm and load site as much as u can for at least 3sec
use gears and inclines to hit
this is the important part

export the WB datalog to csv
use tools like Free log easy map/mega log viewer (quad cell) & excel to analyse A/F and adj
check strims afterwards

ignition?
Old 08-21-2015, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

I've had success in the past doing ignition by loosening the throttle cable to do part throttle pulls, then using the same method as you would on the WOT line. It works better on alpha-n than it does on load based but it's still doable. The key, if you're going to street tune, is finding a flat, smooth, quiet stretch of road and rechecking your baseline every few pulls for repeatability. Also, make sure you're not heat soaking badly between runs while making adjustments.

At the end of the day, tuning on the street sucks. Find a steady state/load bearing dyno if you can. The street should only be used for validation of a cal and very fine adjustment.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Would I be doing it wrong if I find a long stretch road that inclines? It will load more areas instead of brake boosting.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also I'm sure im somewhat ready for to test some ignition changes. I know its for dyno but wanted to see and play with them a bit before I start hitting dynos to tune.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Brake boosting/dragging is a terrible idea. You get no useable data out of it, aside from maybe filling some fueling cells. An incline could work as long as you use it in the same direction every time and start stop at the same point every time.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yesterday, I did part throttle on a fairly straight stretch with slight/constant throttle in 2nd & 3rd gear to collect data up to 5k rpm. I try to adjust in whole column and move 2D lines to get smooth transition as possible.

(Enigine Ls B18B)
This is the map, but in the red circle area on Column 9-10 that area is reading a little rich (12.4-12.6). If I leaned it out 2D lines would dipped, but I didnt adjust it so transition would be smooth. Would ya have messed with it or leave it?
Old 08-21-2015, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't change all 4 cells at a time. The highlighted cells give you an approximate location. I look at the actual mbar vs rpm and deduce the most highly weighted cell at the moment. Keep an eye on intake air temp and coolant temp.

Don't drag the brakes, it gives you artificially rich results.

The 2d lines do not have to be parallel at all levels. If you are sure it needs less fuel, and a whole point off sounds certianly far enough, drop fuel.

Be steady with throttle else tip in will register.

I personally tune while I'm driving...but drive safe! I have a perfect empty road, fresh paved and level in an industrial area I tune my cars. Holding steady and making changes works well. Like if you were on a steady state dyno.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're going to find that your LS engine has a dip in torque right about there. Less torque = less fuel demand. So yeah, lower that region.

Originally Posted by bluenc-87

Yesterday, I did part throttle on a fairly straight stretch with slight/constant throttle in 2nd & 3rd gear to collect data up to 5k rpm. I try to adjust in whole column and move 2D lines to get smooth transition as possible.

(Enigine Ls B18B)
This is the map, but in the red circle area on Column 9-10 that area is reading a little rich (12.4-12.6). If I leaned it out 2D lines would dipped, but I didnt adjust it so transition would be smooth. Would ya have messed with it or leave it?