Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

P06 Vtec Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P06 Vtec Conversion?

Alright I just picked up a P06 Computer and had a few questions. This is my first attempt to chipping and tuning. Im planning on using Crome. I'm sure there's plenty of people here that have tuned with it. The engine setup is a B18C1 with an LS crank and ITR pistons and rods. So heres the questions:

1. Can I use this kit from Moates ( http://www.moates.net/honda1-honda-e....html?cPath=69 ) to tune with Crome? I know that I need to get the BURN2 Chip Programmer ( http://www.moates.net/burn2-chip-pro....html?cPath=69 ) correct?

2. Will this kit from Moates allow VTEC to work? If not, what kit do i need to buy and is there a write-up somewhere?

3. The HondaLog cable they sell on Moates (http://www.moates.net/hondalog-p-79....Path=69)...Can i use it to burn the chip or do I need to get the BURN2 Chip Programmer?
Old 07-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: P06 Vtec Conversion?

bump
Old 07-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Yes, you can use that kit to socket your ECU for a chip and use Crome... And u need a burn2 to burn a chip...

2. No it will not allow VTEC to work, VTEC is hardware as well as software... The P06 is a non VTEC ECU... You will have to add some stuff for VTEC to work... Its a bit more work for a novice, but if your comfortable with a soldering iron, then go for it... Otherwise get a P28 and start there...

You first need to crack open your ECU and find out which board you have and order the right kit, the board number is found imprinted on the board at the top:

If you have a 11F0 board:
http://www.moates.net/vtec11f0-conve....html?cPath=69

If you have a 1720 board:
http://www.moates.net/vtec1720-conve....html?cPath=69

3. Honda log cable is just for logging data, you will need an emulator to tune on the fly...

http://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the....html?cPath=69

You can either run the Ostrich as your chip, or if you want to make an actual chip, or even chips for other people, u still need the chip burner to burn an actual EPROM...
Old 07-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks alot man. i couldnt have gotten a better answer!! Im not that far from you. I live in lafayette. Do you know anybody around here that could do a basemap for me? i would like to learn how to do it myself but it seems difficult. How much do they usually run?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, thats ironic... I had no idea u were that close...I just happened to click on your question... And had an answer... LOL Im not sure who can burn a basemap for you around here... I used to be able too, but I tried to burn myself a chip tonight and my burner is FUBAR'd... I need to figure something out, I am close to cranking my rebuilt B16 and I dont have an ECU to run... =(
Old 07-31-2013, 01:06 PM
Trial User

hey i would like to ask you some questions, thanks in advance if you help me btw..

I need to tun an ECU for an integra 96 B18C1 vtec, I have a p06 ECU chiped, ok my question is:

As you said in the post i need a burner to save the map in the eprom right ?

In order to do that i can use chrome right ?

Ok now, the emulator you talked about, is to simulate the eprom right ?

How can i get the actual map of the car, to see what values i need to set, to see if the actual status of the car is ok...
Old 07-31-2013, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

-FYI the Honda Logging cable is overpriced I do sell a cheaper cable for $20 shipped that is guaranteed to work and tested before shipping on windows 7 and below EXCLUDE windows 8.

-You cannot log with Crome Free, you need to invest in Crome Pro in order to datalog, or you can go with FreeLog but that program itself is very buggy and does not always work correctly.

-The moates burn2 is overpriced, but it does provide simplicity for those who have no technical expertise in programming, or computers.

-If you get an Auto P06 and convert to Manual the process to chip it to vtec is also much more simple since their is 1 major components installed for auto use and that is the resistor network RN1 or 5 I think....
Old 08-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Trial User

Ugh i would like to know that before i buy the cable, i've bought the xenocrom usb cable which costs $30...

How much does chrome pro costs ? is that the best software for that ?

I'm a computer programmer, i actually had coded PICS processors, and that is much alike the eprom stuff, difference is that you don't actually program an eprom you just set it according to what you want your car to get, so i'm bidding for the burn2 for $50, you think that is expensive compared to other burners ? what burners you recommend ?

Ok as soon as i get the usb xenocrom cable, and i get crome pro, then the process is, connect the cable to the 4pin connector in the ECU, connect the usb to my computer, calibrate it with crome, then start to seeing the data car triggers right ?

you mean data log, to save bin file from the ecu to my computer to later analzye that data ?
Old 08-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First off if you don't have crome pro you actually don't see what the ECU is doing map/ign wise since Crome Free does not give you datalogging. That also means no trouble codes, no readings, no live tuning..... nothing. You can prob youtube a Crome pro in action and it will give you a better explanation. Crome pro off xenocron runs anywhere from $100-200 not sure about it price wise.

As far as a programmer goes I am using a GQ-4X it runs around $100 but I can program other chips aside from just the SST chips since I also program on the side. Its a little more complex to setup than the Moates Burn2 and is not user friendly if your not technical, but for me it works wonders.