Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Ostrich 2.0 not working correctly with Crome Pro.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ostrich 2.0 not working correctly with Crome Pro.

OK, here's the problem. I start up Crome Pro (the OLD version 1.2 or whatever) and plug in the Ostrich 2.0. I can open a file then click "put" and it will write it in to the Ostrich. Then, I click "verify" and it verifies the ROM. Now, that's as far as it gets. I install the Ostrich in the ECU, turn the key on, and get a solid check engine light! Checksum removed.

Any ideas at all? Information is getting from the laptop to the ostrich but not from the ostrich to the ECU.

Ryan
Old 06-11-2008, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: Ostrich 2.0 not working correctly with Crome Pro. (RyanA)

Make sure your ribbon cable is connected securely to the socket on the ECU and that the pink wire on the Ostrich data cable is in the proper orientation. The pink side of the data cable should be towards the middle of the ecu.

Modified by GhostAccord at 8:24 AM 6/11/2008
Old 06-11-2008, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ostrich 2.0 not working correctly with Crome Pro. (GhostAccord)

Yes, that is how I have it. Red wire is towards the center and it is secured in the socket perfectly. Turn key on, solid engine light. Remove Ostrich and reinstall chip, light goes away.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same issue with Ectune right now, and I am at my wits end trying to figure it out. J12 is cut, I rechecked all my solder connections, I even went so far as changing the ecu out with a working chipped crome ecu and same problem.

Everything is new from xenocron, I am updating the firmware on my ostrich, but highly doubt that will fix the problem. My ribbon cable is on correctly, my 4 pin is soldered on right, my ribbon cable checks, I have set com ports manually in the software, I have freaking done everything!! I am so lost right now.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ostrich 2.0 not working correctly with Crome Pro. (BodyKits NW)

Sounds like we are in about the same boat. I went to Moates and downloaded the firmware update program last night. When I plugged in the 2.0, it showed it already had the most current firmware in it. Datalogging connects and shows data through the 4 pin plug. unfortunately, it will not show data on the tables being changed. I figured if I could at least get it to log, I could us my Burn1 to reflash the chip until it was right.

Ryan
Old 06-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also have the most current firmware and Craig at Moates was kind enough to walk me through the steps to check everything with my ostrich over the phone today. As I said to everyone I have spoken to about Ectune and my problem, the ostrich checks out just fine. Atleast you are able to receive data from the datalogging cable. I have yet been able to connect with it. Right now my main problem is that darn check engine light as well as the ecu seeing the rom on the emulator that I uploaded. I can upload, verify the rom, but that's it. I can't datalog, or receive data. I am completely lost at this point the people that I have spoken to have treated me like a complete idiot when I've done this numourous times, the only change is the tuning software. So I am not sure what to do cause I had my sites set on using Ectune to tune with, but I have not had any luck with that. So this sucks *****, and I am not getting anywhere.

Again, com ports have been set manually rather auto detect, I have all the latest drivers, and firmware, I have tried another chipped p72 ecu. I have all the sensors that needs to be disabled disabled, ribbon cable is on correctly, 4 pin soldered correcrly, j12 cut, both capacitors soldered on, etc..etc..I have spent 2 whole days trying to figure this out.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As i said before and i'll say it again.
I'm not the only user of eCtune and ostrich 1 or 2.

If you have a solid cell the ecu is not running eCtune and you will never be able to Datalog.

This is hardware/user error.

I'm sure there are a lot of users on the eCtune forum or HT that will jump in to tell you that.

If you think i didn't threat you good. Sorry. i know that i have been up till late to help you.

I asked a whole lot of times to take certain steps so i can see what goes wrong. If you don't do that. I will tell you that you have to follow my steps otherwise i cannot help you.

You can not blame the software for not being good. Otherwise everybody would have that same problem.

If you can verify your rom from eCtune that means the data is correctly in the ostrich.

that you have a solid cell like i said it will most like be one of the following.
1)ecu socket
2)solder job
3)ribbon cable
4)is ribbon cable put correctly
5)bad ecu

I even send you a binary of a working car that i used 2 days ago.

I think it's is completely wrong to blame it on the software.

I'm very tired. Maybe i see something over my head. But here or on the ectune forum somebody will be able to tell exactly this.

Modified by calvinPGMFI at 2:31 AM 6/12/2008
Old 06-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe Calvin has a solution for fixing yor problem. He will be in contact soon I'm sure...
Old 06-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (.nate)

Well, for me it has to be the ribbon cable or something on the "output" side of the ostrich. In my case, I can put a chip in and the CEL goes away immediately. Hopefully, I can get it figured out soon.

Ryan
Old 06-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think that this is the same problem... output side of ostrich 2
Old 06-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (calvinPGMFI)

I am sure he has a solution, but I have been up till 4am all week trying to get this car going. From building the motor, and now tuning it. I am running out of time here and I did not expect to have any issues at all especially when I bought all new hardware just to do this. So user error, unlikely. Hardware error is more than likely because I know for a fact that the software is setup correctly, and I am doing everything that I was told to do. It does not take a genious to make a basemap especially with this software as well as getting the car to start. But that's the thing, I am a sitting duck cause I can't work my magic with the keyboard cause the ecu won't get what I am trying to do. Not sure what is going on, and I just want to get this going. This is something that will happen with anyone trying to chip a honda ecu. This is a problem that any software has experiened and will continue to experience. What the problem is will most likely be different for each situation. Bad soldering, bad ecu, bad whatever. The fact is I have replaced and checked everything and running out of things to try. Bottom line.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess hardware... you can verify
so ectune->ostrich 2 is good
ostrich2->ecu(solid cell)

lets say ecu is good...
Old 06-12-2008, 06:35 AM

Default Re: Ostrich 2.0 not working correctly with Crome Pro. (BodyKits NW)

I offer this to anyone who has purchased hardware/software from me...but if you are at your wits end (and I know you know what you are doing), you are more than welcome to send me your whole setup (ECU, data cable, Ostrich, etc)....even your laptop if you want and I will test it on my car here for FREE.

Sometimes, remote troubleshooting is useless and it can only be done in person efficiently...I know you are all the way across the country, but the option is there
Old 06-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Banned

Default Re: (BodyKits NW)

sorry to hear about your issues. but i know a bunch of people running
calvins software with the same setup with no issues. you should check your
soldering again. or send it to a tuning expert to deal with. sometimes
things are better left to professionals. good luck andy.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pu tang)

Did you even read the post? If you failed to notice, anything ECU related is out of the picture for me as I can put a chip in the ECU and it's fine and dandy. Pull the chip out, install emulator, and solid CEL. Pull the emulator and put the chip back in and car is fine.

So, explain to me how this points to soldering, installation, or inexperience issues.

I understand if you are saying this to the other person as they have not completely clarified. However, please do tell me how this post is of any use to this topic? Are you just posting to up your post count since you are new or what?

Thanks!

Ryan

Modified by RyanA at 11:26 AM 6/12/2008
Old 06-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Banned

Default Re: (RyanA)

sorry sr.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ostrich 2.0 not working correctly with Crome Pro.

I had that problem sometimes that lil battery inside the ostrich goes bad happened to me before it sucks, but also it has happened to me yesterday replaced battery and it worked try that.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

That really shouldn't be an issue in a version 2 Ostrich. However it is worth a try I guess.

I have had the 2 x AAA batteries in my gen 1 ostrich for over 3 years now and no issues. Could swap them out now just for peace of mind though.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This may sound stupid but i had a very similar issue with my DSM when i was trying to run ostrich2.0 on it. I was able to write to the unit but the car never ran right at all. Check the switches on the side of the ostrich unit and make sure its set for a 28 pin socket (all the way to the right)