Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

eCtune, new tuning software, looks awesome, apparently will kick Crome's ass (discuss!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (96 GSR-T)

just because it uses and ostrich you compare it to the likes of CROME ?? seriously, have you used CROME lately ?

Old 04-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zex_cool)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zex_cool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just because it uses and ostrich you compare it to the likes of CROME ?? seriously, have you used CROME lately ?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, because there is a huge difference, having to use an external device to connect to it IMO puts it in a different class, regardless of its software... just my .02
Old 04-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So you are saying the "huge difference" is the difference between having the emulator inside the ecu or outside the ECU. It's not that big of a deal.

Besides something is in the works for this specific topic.

It is well known that you need a Ostrich to use eCtune no need to keep whining about it.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (.nate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .nate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is well known that you need a Ostrich to use eCtune no need to keep whining about it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Being a 3rd party and reading this, I don't see any whining, but I do see plenty of defensive posts that are unnecessary. Perhaps relaxing is in order? Might I suggest some time spent poolside, for instance.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zex_cool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">seriously, have you used CROME lately ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seems more like you haven't. Ever. Or at least expected a perfect tune at the touch of the 'Enter' key. Just remember, without Crome, you may not have eCtune - at least not just yet, and not with as many cool features.

This s***talking is like a Supra owner talking down to a Honda owner (or vice versa). Both have been proven to go very fast, both reliant on how much money you spend. Is it wrong to use Crome for a reliable 500whp? Likewise for eCtune for a reliable 140whp Sohc? To each his own. HRTuning is right, some people need to take a 'chill pill'
Old 04-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Seems more like you haven't. Ever. Or at least expected a perfect tune at the touch of the 'Enter' key. Just remember, without Crome, you may not have eCtune - at least not just yet, and not with as many cool features.

This s***talking is like a Supra owner talking down to a Honda owner (or vice versa). Both have been proven to go very fast, both reliant on how much money you spend. Is it wrong to use Crome for a reliable 500whp? Likewise for eCtune for a reliable 140whp Sohc? To each his own. HRTuning is right, some people need to take a 'chill pill' </TD></TR></TABLE>

i have...
and my car ran almost as fast, there was no world of difference there

but it was very very nice to have everything work at once. every feature working as it should be. it just made my tuning so much more easier. no more guessing just control over everything. this programs listens to what you want and just does it. when it does not, it's just a matter of reporting it and someone provides service and makes it work so that the next person will have an even better program.

and i like the cool features. i like being able to tune 3 stage's of nitrous with complete ignition and fuelcontrol along the revband, wideband closedloop for my mileage.

why do people buy an EMS? because they want full control.
i have had a blast with crome and learned a lot, i will be tuning many more on crome. thank god for crome free.

and the argument of ostrich, hondata uses the same principal, it is just mounted inside the casing (wow?), not enough of an advantage to support a company that's sueing the heck out of our sport (PGMFI.org)

crome free = you can tune for free
crome pro = you can tune easier for 150
ectune pro = you can tune/control 'anything' you want for 200

i'm happy with my choice and now
Old 04-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HRTuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HRTuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Being a 3rd party and reading this, I don't see any whining, but I do see plenty of defensive posts that are unnecessary. Perhaps relaxing is in order? Might I suggest some time spent poolside, for instance. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You hit the nail on the head with the need for relaxation bit. I've been dealing with hackers all week at work. Talk about stress. My apologies fellas
Old 04-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .nate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You hit the nail on the head with the need for relaxation bit. I've been dealing with hackers all week at work. Talk about stress. My apologies fellas </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am in no way trashing the product, looks great.... I just like things as simple as possible, and having to lug around another device just to tune steers me away from all chip burning/external modules etc.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Soon moates will have a new device that multiple vendors will use... keep your eye's open
Old 04-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any idea how well an aem wideband will work/integrate with ectune?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

talked to Calvin today and he said it would work fine if anyone else wanted to know.

Ordered eCTune Pro with hulogger and ostrich2 today as well.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (1RMDave)

sup.

just wondering,
does ectune has programmable sensor inputs? (can i use lets say GM IAT and rescale it?)

thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RACEPAK)

nope.. but i'll look into it, i have doubts.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:56 AM

Default Re: (calvinPGMFI)

Here are my first 2 honda tuned by ECTUNE software ... Because HONDATA official tuner for France, I can assure you that software is a powerful punch!
The implementation is very quick and understanding is very playful.
Regarding functionality, I was able to test the function Switch to convert to ethanol fuel E85 and the amendment was very simple (through Ostrich and Hulog).
Really great bravo to Calvin and the entire team for their incredible software and availability.
I recommend it to all future users.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

waiting for the diy version release.. looking great though
Old 04-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (marcj)

is there anyway for me to try it before i buy the dealer version? im about to have to purchase hte dealer version of crome again, if this is better im all for it, but im not blindly spending that much money. crome pro w/the new gold base map seemingly has all the features of ectune...
Old 04-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (JDogg)

Gold may have a feature list like eCtune, but atm Gold doesn't have everything funtioning perfect. I believe that you can get some sort of a deal if you have Crome Pro, so I'd assume he may do something for a well-known HT tuner like yourself who has the Crome Dealer version.

I would like to see the possibility of using a different IAT sensor, since many people say that it is very slow at reading temps, and that the open-end GM sensor is much faster.

Modified by HiProfile at 11:21 AM 4/22/2008
Old 04-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The honda IAT sensor is a slow at reading because it is in the heat soaked intake manifold. The soluton is to move it to the charge pipe, one of the accords uses a screw-in type IAT so you don't have to make a funky mouting bracket for the charge pipe.

I've pushed for gm IAT support for quite some time as an option for ectune, but using the accord IAT solves the problem.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So in the case that I have many cars to tune, and I'm if using ectune, each of my customers now have to buy an Ostrich to put in their cars permanently? Just clarifying...

Thanks
Old 04-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NorthWestPerformance)

no, they dont IF <U>YOU</U> go with the tuners license [as well as you should if you tune many cars].
Old 04-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have no problem purchasing the tuners license... but BEFORE I decide to go with this I thought I would ask. So if you don't need to install the Ostrich in every car, and I can't burn a chip and install it, simply how does the tune stay in the vehicle?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2008, 07:24 PM

Default Re: (NorthWestPerformance)

The "Tuner" license lets you burn chips.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:29 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (sewell94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sewell94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The honda IAT sensor is a slow at reading because it is in the heat soaked intake manifold. The soluton is to move it to the charge pipe</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's not really a "solution." It just compensates (poorly) for the super slow IAT response time. By moving the IAT back to the charge pipe, the sensor has time to "respond" before that particular volume of air enters the cylinders.

And FYI for all the GM IAT hopefuls, it's impossible to "scale" the output to a Honda-friendly value.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (borat)

Thank You Borat, that's what I needed to know.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Legion)

I agree not really a "solution", but the best "bandaid" for the iat issues on a stock ecu.

Quick Reply: eCtune, new tuning software, looks awesome, apparently will kick Crome's ass (discuss!)