Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

cold start/idle issues AEM V2

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold start/idle issues AEM V2

Ok so i have an AEM v2 6040 box on a f20b swapped 94 civic, I have the car tuned to being driveable and brought through the rpms, it runs on e85.

modifications are:

ID1000s
skunk2 IM (not the pro series)
intake and exhaust

reason for injectors is it will be going turbo soon.

Now to the issues, i can't no matter what I do get this car to idle above about 1100rpms cold or warm.

I talked to the guys at aem and they say it sounds like the iacv isnt seeing enough air, the iacv is working it has been relocated using the supplied skunk2 relocation kit so that shouldnt be an issue as im sure other people have used it.

i adjusted the throttle stop up which got me from 1000rpms to the now 1100rpms. So it definately sounds like its an issue with not getting enough air through to help idle it up.

I have the stock f20b on there and since they are obd2 they dont have a idle screw on them, so i drilled and tapped the TB for the idle screw, but that did nothing i know its getting air through it cause if i spray carb cleaner through there the car will stumble but it didnt help idle the car up any whatsoever.

has anyone had any issues like this before??
Old 11-10-2011, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: cold start/idle issues AEM V2

Have you properly tuned the idle vs target table?

Unplug the iacv to see how it effects the idle.
This will effectively tell you how much of a difference the iacv is actually making.

You can adjust the iacv
Old 11-12-2011, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the idle vs target table should be close, but without it being able to idle over 1000ish rpms how exactly are you suppose to tune the table??

i will try unplugging it when its cold, i did that when it was warmed up and the car still ran.

and what do you mean by adjust the iacv? are you meaning electrically or mechanically?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so i pulled the iacv off and cleaned it out, wasnt really that dirty but figured it wouldnt hurt.

I saw a set screw on the end of the iacv i assume this is what adjust the plunger on the inside, if i want it to bypass more air would i tighten the set screw or loosen?

to me i would think loosen but hell i duno
Old 11-12-2011, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sohctodohc
so i pulled the iacv off and cleaned it out, wasnt really that dirty but figured it wouldnt hurt.

I saw a set screw on the end of the iacv i assume this is what adjust the plunger on the inside, if i want it to bypass more air would i tighten the set screw or loosen?

to me i would think loosen but hell i duno
Don't adjust anything on the iacv mechanically.

You need to unplug the iacv while the car is warm & running to see what difference it makes.
If the car starts idling very low, then you know the iacv is functioning.

You may need to turn up the iacv duty cycle as mentioned in my first post in the aem calibration.....
Old 11-13-2011, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

everything you mentioned above has been done, the car will idle without the iacv but barely, the duty has been brought throughout the range with no help.

once it hits 1100rpms it physically cant get more air through to idle it up more, i understand the tables in aem that is not the issue it is mechanical, but the iacv has been gone through with no effect.

You can physcially hear the iacv adjust airflow when bringing the duty cycle up