Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Can i make an auto ecu pass inspection in a manual

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i make an auto ecu pass inspection in a manual

I have a 98 ek (obd2a). I bought a full low comp b20 swap with a gsr trans out of a 99 ek (obd2b). He gave me the obd2b harness and an obd2b ls ecu. I bought a obd2a ls ecu to get the car running but its an auto. I know the car will run off of that ecu but it will also throw a cel because the ecu thinks the car is in park but youre moving. Is there any way to put a switch or to splice a wire so it doesnt think its in park? There must be a wire i could splice for the tcm to trick the ecu into thinking all is well. I want to get it set up to pass inspection now so at the end of the year i have no problems
Old 09-17-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Can i make an auto ecu pass inspection in a manual

Originally Posted by Jonzy
I have a 98 ek (obd2a). I bought a full low comp b20 swap with a gsr trans out of a 99 ek (obd2b). He gave me the obd2b harness and an obd2b ls ecu. I bought a obd2a ls ecu to get the car running but its an auto. I know the car will run off of that ecu but it will also throw a cel because the ecu thinks the car is in park but youre moving. Is there any way to put a switch or to splice a wire so it doesnt think its in park? There must be a wire i could splice for the tcm to trick the ecu into thinking all is well. I want to get it set up to pass inspection now so at the end of the year i have no problems
It truly depends upon what's inspected, and what your legal authority considers passing by way of codes. Different states have differing emissions and signal requirements.

You may have to go through a failure and find out what's required or research your state/county/municipality laws.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
It truly depends upon what's inspected, and what your legal authority considers passing by way of codes. Different states have differing emissions and signal requirements.

You may have to go through a failure and find out what's required or research your state/county/municipality laws.
Im in ny and even if i have an emissions code that comes on it can pass if i clear the code and drive it a certain amount of miles before the inspection. It will read as a pending code but not an actual code and therefore will pass
Old 09-17-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonzy
Im in ny and even if i have an emissions code that comes on it can pass if i clear the code and drive it a certain amount of miles before the inspection. It will read as a pending code but not an actual code and therefore will pass
Again, you'll need to investigate what I stated above. But few are successful in what you're attempting.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

I suggest you find a LS manual OBD-2A ECU... they are cheap on the used market because the demand is very low.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
I suggest you find a LS manual OBD-2A ECU... they are cheap on the used market because the demand is very low.
im going to have to but ill run the auto ecu for a wweek or two until im sure thats the only problem