Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

AFR extremely rich while o2 sensor is heating

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFR extremely rich while o2 sensor is heating

Wasn't quite sure where the best place to post this issue would be - please feel free to move thread if necessary

jdm b16a
9:1 compression (forged eagle rods and wiseco pistons)
750cc bosch ev14 injectors
obd0-obd1 conversion
p06 manual converted ecu, running hondata s300v3
innovate motorsports MTX-L wideband o2 sensor with the wideband signal running to ecu pin d14 in place of the oem o2 sensor

at the moment i am only running the car in open loop to work on tuning fuel maps. I'm aware that when switching to open loop this problem may disappear, but i'd like to refine the maps first.
the car starts up and runs fine once the o2 sensor is heated, i'm just trying to do some road tuning and datalogging at the moment.

the issue is that when starting up the car (when hot or cold, doesnt seem to matter which), as the wideband gauge is displaying "HTR" the AFRs being logged in hondata are right around 7.5:1 (which corresponds to the lowest possible output from the gauge) but only until the gauge starts displaying readings after finishing heating the o2 sensor.
exactly as the wideband sensor has finished heating (takes around 30 seconds), the AFRs being logged in Smanager start displaying the same as the readings on the wideband gauge which are around 14.5:1
it seems like during the o2 sensor heating stage, the wideband gauge defaults to a maximum rich reading and sends that info to the ecu, rather than actually reading from the o2 sensor.

I have already tuned the ECT fuel compensation to return good AFRs for cold starts, so the AFRs remain fairly constant as the engine gets up to temperature. While i was tuning for this the wideband heater issue remained.
I have tried altering the "cranking fuel trim", but that just makes it take longer to start up, and once it does the wideband still sends minimum voltage to Smanager until it's finished heating the sensor.
I have tried altering the "post start fuel trim" which didnt seem to do anything except make the car run lean AFTER the wideband sensor stopped heating until the post start fuel trim finished ramping down.

at the moment it seems like whatever fueling adjustments i make, the wideband heater issue overrides until the gauge starts displaying AFRs.
It seems at this point like the innovate wideband gauge is the issue, but i havent been able to find anyone else having had the same problem online.

datalog files dont provide much help here, they just display a minimum o2 sensor voltage for a certain time and then all of a sudden jump up to actual voltage readings from the wideband

is there anything i can do in hondata to override this in open loop mode?