Notices

Valve stem compressor in a very cramped c1 head

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve spring compressor. Anyone had luck with this in their v-tech head

Alright, I know. Don't buy tools at Harbor Frieght. But, when a valve spring compressor is like ten bucks and they say I can return it, even after opening if it doesn't work, what do I really have to loose? has anyone ever used this Pitsburg universal over-head valve spring compressor on their v-tech head? it's kinda bulky, and i'm still in the process of removing my valve stem seals (they've probably been there for 20 years). I'm taking my time on that as to not damage the valve guide but anyways, is there enough room and/or has anyone had success with this tool? Anyone have a list of tools they think harbor freight carries with success?

Last edited by 95gsr@530; 11-19-2015 at 07:38 AM. Reason: forgot to add picture
Old 11-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: Valve stem compressor in a very cramped c1 head

That thing is not the easiest on Honda heads, I suspect even more difficult on b series over D series.

I would get this:
Amazon.com: Lisle 36050 Valve Keeper Remover and Installer Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 36050 Valve Keeper Remover and Installer Kit: Automotive

It has the smaller one that works perfectly with Honda heads. There is a 36200 but it's the larger sized one for domestics and doesn't work very well with our Honda heads. You have to buy the double set. Well worth the time/money and works with any over head cam head as far as I know.

A trick to get your old seals off is a small butane torch. You torch the seal until the rubber shrivels and cracks and the seal comes off much easier.

Then for install, make sure to oil the complete seal and if a straw isn't included with your seal kit, you can take a piece of straw that is as long as your valve stem above the guide, cut a slit the length of the straw so you can wrap it around snug on the valve stem. The straw will help protect the viton rubber from catching on the keeper valley of the stem and damaging the seal. I used felpro seals and it comes with two straws. I saved mine for future jobs so I can switch brands and have the nice smooth protector. The straws can be seen here:
Amazon.com: Fel-Pro SS702831 Valve Stem Seal Set: Automotive Amazon.com: Fel-Pro SS702831 Valve Stem Seal Set: Automotive

Once the seal is on the stem and pushed down towards the guide you can slide the straw up and off the stem while holding the seal down.

Then proceed with the remainder of the seal install of clicking it into place.

I hope these tips serve you well.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
That thing is not the easiest on Honda heads, I suspect even more difficult on b series over D series.

I would get this:
Amazon.com: Lisle 36050 Valve Keeper Remover and Installer Kit: Automotive

It has the smaller one that works perfectly with Honda heads. There is a 36200 but it's the larger sized one for domestics and doesn't work very well with our Honda heads. You have to buy the double set. Well worth the time/money and works with any over head cam head as far as I know.

A trick to get your old seals off is a small butane torch. You torch the seal until the rubber shrivels and cracks and the seal comes off much easier.

Then for install, make sure to oil the complete seal and if a straw isn't included with your seal kit, you can take a piece of straw that is as long as your valve stem above the guide, cut a slit the length of the straw so you can wrap it around snug on the valve stem. The straw will help protect the viton rubber from catching on the keeper valley of the stem and damaging the seal. I used felpro seals and it comes with two straws. I saved mine for future jobs so I can switch brands and have the nice smooth protector. The straws can be seen here:
Amazon.com: Fel-Pro SS702831 Valve Stem Seal Set: Automotive

Once the seal is on the stem and pushed down towards the guide you can slide the straw up and off the stem while holding the seal down.

Then proceed with the remainder of the seal install of clicking it into place.

I hope these tips serve you well.
Great advice, and yes, my felpro kit did include the straw like install aid's. I wish I read this reply sooner, because I have completely removed the old valve stem seals, I got my technique down by the end of it, but the whole time I had a big *** butane torch sitting just feet away. It did cross my mind but I was too nervous I would damage something. Thanks for the advice, and i'll be sure to post my results when I've managed to get everything put back together. Today i'm throwing the bare head in the parts washer at school and getting it cleaned out and ready for reassembly.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The overhead one that bolts into where the cam caps go works the best IMO and its compatible with B/H series. big cost difference although from 10-to almost 70 I think I paid. You WILL however have a hard time installing if not impossible. A nice long thin flat head will help and a tin of grease. Put some grease on the end of the tip and use it to hold a keeper then try Mcgivver it in ther, or maybe something that is a lil bendable so you can work around the compressor. GL!!

Last edited by ojasia; 11-22-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:52 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by ojasia
The overhead one that bolts into where the cam caps go works the best IMO and its compatible with B/H series. big cost difference although from 10-to almost 70 I think I paid. You WILL however have a hard time installing if not impossible. A nice long thin flat head will help and a tin of grease. Put some grease on the end of the tip and use it to hold a keeper then try Mcgivver it in ther, or maybe something that is a lil bendable so you can work around the compressor. GL!!
That's the advantage of the lisle installer. It works so very well to install those keepers regardless of the motor.

Eric The Car Guy demonstrates it at 8 minutes into the following video. Shows you the advantage of the tool and does it on a honda head to boot:

Old 11-23-2015, 05:03 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/all-motor-nat...-lube-3245348/

The only negative to the tool TomCat39 recommends and the one in the link I provided, is when you get really high seat pressures. For stock valve springs, it's truly awesome!!! I am a bigger guy, and pressing 100+ lbs can be a challenge, especially if the the keepers are hanging up slightly (removal) but a hammer helps here. Smacking it with a hammer for installation doesn't exactly work well, pressing is preferred.

The other tool mentioned I have as well. It works pretty good, and keepers aren't that bad. Just take a small screwdriver and dab it with grease, put the keeper on the tip and put grease inside the cup of the keeper (or on the valve stem), and stick them on the valve. It's pretty easy, and may be required to use this tool for high seat pressure applications. BUT it does take forever in comparison to the tool mentioned previously. Here is the link for this one:

http://www.euroexportinc.com/honda-b...ing-compressor
Old 11-23-2015, 05:42 AM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
The only negative to the tool TomCat39 recommends and the one in the link I provided, is when you get really high seat pressures.
Very good point.

It's also nice to know the bar type you screw into the caps bolt holes also works on B series without issue.

Both tools are about the same price on amazon.com last I checked.