skunk2 camgear degree question

Old 02-13-2018, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default skunk2 camgear degree question

Just want to know if i zero the s2 camgears would it be the same degree as the stock oem cam gears? It's a JDM H22A, it's stock except for the cam gears (stock camshafts). Any help will be appreciated.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: skunk2 camgear degree question

Anyone?
Old 02-17-2018, 03:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In theory, yes. But they say all aftermarket adjustable cam gears are not exact in their "zero" position as OEM cam gears. It is recommended to either first install the OEM cam gears to get all timing marks lined up properly and them put aftermarket adjustable cam gears on, or "degree" the cams in with the aftermarket cam gears on. I'm not sure about the OEM H22 cams, but I do know that the B16 cams and cam holders have the ability to be "pinned" when timing the engine. If you lined the crank up in the correct position and pinned the cams, you could use whatever aftermarket adjustable cams you wanted and not have to worry about them being zero'd. I would think the OEM H22 cams are setup the same way. You just have to take the valve cover off to find out.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DarryCar View Post
In theory, yes. But they say all aftermarket adjustable cam gears are not exact in their "zero" position as OEM cam gears. It is recommended to either first install the OEM cam gears to get all timing marks lined up properly and them put aftermarket adjustable cam gears on, or "degree" the cams in with the aftermarket cam gears on. I'm not sure about the OEM H22 cams, but I do know that the B16 cams and cam holders have the ability to be "pinned" when timing the engine. If you lined the crank up in the correct position and pinned the cams, you could use whatever aftermarket adjustable cams you wanted and not have to worry about them being zero'd. I would think the OEM H22 cams are setup the same way. You just have to take the valve cover off to find out.
Thanks man. Will look for the pins. Don't have the oem cam geard to compare but i will see if i can get it. Will keep you updated.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it the four holes on the cam cover to pin the cams? Or is it different from the B16?
Note: Not my actual engine, just a picture i got online for reference.

Last edited by jdm_krish; 02-17-2018 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Forgot to add more info in the description
Old 02-18-2018, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, should be those four holes. You only need to pin one for each cam. There may only be one place in the camshaft to pin it anyways. Just use a drill bit or something.