Notices

Front/rear main seals question

Old 01-19-2019, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts
Default Front/rear main seals question

I’ve been told that replacing the crank seal could lead to another potential issue, the original seal wears a little groove into the crank and when the new seal gets installed the new seal don’t have the same groove and oil will leak/poor out because of this. My buddy had this happen to him and I’ve heard other stories as well, I know there is supposed to be a way to fix this but I was curious if others here have experienced this issue and how they resolved it. I’m about to start my engine assembly soon and want to prevent any possible problems before they happen.

B18c1
‘’Thanks
Old 01-19-2019, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 793 Likes on 733 Posts
Default Re: Front/rear main seals question

I have never experienced the issues that you have described, however, IF you install the seals at the proper depth there will be no problems because the spring area of the seal will find it's way to the groove on the crankshaft.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:13 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

I've done 2 or 3 rear main seals and never had the leaking issue. I always follow the manual and install the seal to the depth required, checking with feeler gauges. I've never replaced just the front main seal - the times I've had an engine that far apart I have always put a new oil pump in, so not sure about that one.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don’t think I’m going to have a issue, just trying to avoid one
Old 01-20-2019, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some seals come pre-lubed where the crank and seal meet. so make sure to check for that, and if its not then lube it up!
putting it in dry is no bueno.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 793 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysanderson
some seals come pre-lubed where the crank and seal meet. so make sure to check for that, and if its not then lube it up!
putting it in dry is no bueno.
Yes, and even then I have always used some Vaseline (generously applied to the crankshaft and the contact area of the seal) to be sure that installation goes smoothly.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some good advise guys.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2019, 06:21 PM
Trial User

Hello. I installed a new rear main seal tonight on my 2000 Honda Accord 2.3. I installed it flush. It was a bit of a pain. I am including a pic and wanted to get opinions on if the installation looks ok, from what you can tell from the pic. I couldn’t find any else to post this so I though I’d try this thread. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Krg76
Hello. I installed a new rear main seal tonight on my 2000 Honda Accord 2.3. I installed it flush. It was a bit of a pain. I am including a pic and wanted to get opinions on if the installation looks ok, from what you can tell from the pic. I couldn’t find any else to post this so I though I’d try this thread. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
looks fine to me
Old 02-24-2019, 11:23 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
looks fine to me
Thanks for the response. We buttoned it all back up and it leaks. This is the second Time i did it in the past week. Each time, new seal. I took the trans back out for a third try. Not sure what I’m missing.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the response. We buttoned it all back up and it leaks. This is the second Time i did it in the past week. Each time, new seal. I took the trans back out for a third try. Not sure what I’m missing.
make sure the outside of the seal and the seal bore in the block is bone dry and clean. Put a thin layer of gray rtv on the outer edge of the seal. This will help it slide in easier, and will make it seal flawlessly with the block, and once cured will hold it in place so it doesn't pop out. 9/10 times a new seal leaks, it's because the seal either pops out or it leaks between the block and seal.
you can also push the seal in a little deeper too. It does not need to be in the exact same location as it was originally.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:17 PM
Trial User

Ok. Thanks for all the advice! I noticed the original seal from the first time we took it apart, was flush with the plate it’s seated in. We pushed the second one in til it stopped. Past the flush point. This one, we tried flush and it leaked. Do you know how far to press them in and also, I did notice a slight ridge worn in crankshaft. Is that gonna have any effect on another seal install? Thanks again.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In that photo it looks like the seal is turned or flipped, it could just be the angle the photo was taken. I was worried that mine was going to leak since I could feel the groove the old seal had made, but made sure to try to line the new seal up with the old groove and it dry so far
Old 02-24-2019, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually, you'll tend to have a higher chance of it leaking if the new seal sits in the same ridge as was worn by the old seal. Because you can almost never get it 100% exactly the same as the old seal. I always set it to a depth that makes it NOT sit on the groove, but rather an un-worn surface. For depth, it really doesn't matter. as long as it's not sticking out.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:12 AM
Trial User

Ok. Thanks for all the responses! When I order a new seal this week, we are goin to try again.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:22 AM
Trial User

Another question. The housing plate that the seal is pressed into. Would it be better to take it off the motor or leave it on for a new seal install? Thanks.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Another question. The housing plate that the seal is pressed into. Would it be better to take it off the motor or leave it on for a new seal install? Thanks.
either way is fine. I've found removing the seal is easier when the housing is still bolted to the block, and install is a hair easier when the housing is removed. Just make sure you don't damage the crank at all; it's not too difficult to scratch the crank when pulling the seal or denting the crank when hammering the seal in. Either way though, if your setup has a removable housing, I strongly suggest removing and reinstalling the housing just to make sure the housing seals properly from the block. Sometimes the seal install process can break the seal between the housing and block. It's rare, but it can happen
Old 02-25-2019, 07:48 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

I always pull the plate off for removal and installation of the new seal, but I use a seal driver set for installation, so it has to be off or the driver won't fit.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:58 PM
Trial User

Ok. Tonight we pulled the plate/housing for the rear main seal off of the motor. I was just checking some things out. First, the seal sets in the housing nice and tight. As for the crank. It has some blemishes and a very slight ridge in it that you can barely feel with your fingernail. Also, I put the old seal over the crank(without the housing) just to see how it fits and its real sloppy on the crank. I would think it should fit a little tighter than it does. Does anyone have any idea about that? All this has me thinking about installing a repair sleeve. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-26-2019, 03:09 PM
Trial User

Here is pic..