F22 dowel pins

Old 02-25-2019, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F22 dowel pins

Ok HT, so I bought this 95 Accord with an F22B2 with a blown head gasket in it for $400 a couple days ago. Tore it down, changed the head gasket, and put everything back together. Well I just found in the oily puddle where I sat my head down, one of the dowel pins. Now, I know that theyíre there for a reason, however Iím a lazy *** 18 year old and Iím probably gonna just flip the car in a couple weeks anyway. Can I get away with just leaving that one pin out? I could see it being a problem if all of them were missing, but could just one mess something up?
Old 02-25-2019, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: F22 dowel pins

If it was OK to run just one dowel pin... Honda would have done it and saved a buck on each car. I would tear it back down and fix it right... for you or for the new future buyer.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:25 PM
Intelligently Stupid

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The dowel pins keep the head from walking with vibration.

With only one pin, the side without a pin will walk and cause premature head gasket failure.
If you haven't noticed already, there is plenty of free space around the bolts and the bolt holes on the head, this space is how much the head can walk.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said, the dowel pins locate the head and keep it from walking. Both are required or you will have headgasket issues. Learn from your mistake and fix it the correct way.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:56 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chalk it up to a tough lesson, tear it down and put both dowels in. You'll never forget to check that they're both there ever again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: