Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Engine Machining & Assembly
Reload this Page >

Curious how the steel pads are 'bonded' to aluminum rocker arms

Curious how the steel pads are 'bonded' to aluminum rocker arms

Old 03-02-2019, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious how the steel pads are 'bonded' to aluminum rocker arms

Is this a reproducable thing? To change the pads and sort of cheat the geometry to overcome limits of grinding cams?

I ​​​​​​know cam profiles are a complicated thing, but I feel like it would be worth a try, if possible, to change the pad with a slightly thicker and larger radius. Grinding a cam pushes the contact points with the pad farther out and so reduces the rocker ratio.
The r​​​​ockers on my old 12 valve are a measly 1.35/1.45 so we can barely get any lift in a 2 liter :(
Old 03-03-2019, 08:52 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Curious how the steel pads are 'bonded' to aluminum rocker arms

My guess would be that it is a brazed joint. If brazed, certainly not impossible to remove, but likely impractical.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:19 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Curious how the steel pads are 'bonded' to aluminum rocker arms

Originally Posted by DaX View Post
My guess would be that it is a brazed joint. If brazed, certainly not impossible to remove, but likely impractical.
Maybe silver brazed, but I don't know if it's strong enough for this application. This is a curious thread, and is sending me down a rabbit hole. Looks like there are some types of AL rockers with steel pads that are pinned, some look like the steel pads are installed into the mold during the AL casting, very interesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: