Notices

B16b cams on a b16a2 engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16b cams on a b16a2 engine

Hi guys, I need some help to correctly setup my cams. Recently I put some b16B (CTR) cams on my b16a2 engine, but it got slower instead of gaining power. I put the b16b cams just the way the pen where there, any suggestions?? Need help with this! Thank you
Old 07-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: B16b cams on a b16a2 engine

Originally Posted by JAndrinich
Hi guys, I need some help to correctly setup my cams. Recently I put some b16B (CTR) cams on my b16a2 engine, but it got slower instead of gaining power. I put the b16b cams just the way the pen where there, any suggestions?? Need help with this! Thank you
They should be properly degreed to give optimum performance. Also, the type R cams will give more power when tuned than when running a stock mapped ECU as well.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also are you running dual valve springs or stock B16a valve springs? The only real power gain your going to see with those cams on a stock B16a is gonna be after bringing your rev limit up and tuning accordingly and I wouldn't reccomend that with your stock valve springs. Especially if they are worn and have some mileage on them.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have upgraded valves, springs and retainers.
I've seen b16a2 intake cam has a its center angle at 111deg and b16b has it at 101deg and for the exhaust cam the b16a2 has a center angle of 101deg and the b16b has it at 103.5deg. With this information how can I get my cams setted up right?
Old 07-21-2015, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nobody?
Old 07-21-2015, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would think with stock cams and stock cam gears (and stock unmilled head and block), everything should time together correctly without having to change much. Even though the block deck heights are different between the b16a and b16b, the cams should still be timed to #1 TDC regardless of stroke, deck height, etc.
But you prob won't see much until your ecu is mapped for the additional airflow the ctr cams can provide.
My 2 cents.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PyroProblem
I would think with stock cams and stock cam gears (and stock unmilled head and block), everything should time together correctly without having to change much. Even though the block deck heights are different between the b16a and b16b, the cams should still be timed to #1 TDC regardless of stroke, deck height, etc.
But you prob won't see much until your ecu is mapped for the additional airflow the ctr cams can provide.
My 2 cents.
^^ this. You should be able to instal the TypeR cams straight up and have it time correctly, however as mentioned above your not going to see any gains except when running an aftermarket Tune. The map on your stock Ecu will not allow you to take advantage of any additional airflow offered by the new cams and therefore you will not see/feel any gains without a tune and increasing the rev limit.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Installed b16b cams on my b16a using the cam holes to lock them in place and then set the timing method..

The car barely starts even if it does it idles like ****.. Can't get hold on a b16b manual!

Are we not supposed to put them in the way the b16a cams are put (using those holes on the cam)? Or do I need to use different set of cam gears, keeping in mind that the centerline is a little different?
Old 12-27-2015, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ssjr0498
Installed b16b cams on my b16a using the cam holes to lock them in place and then set the timing method..

The car barely starts even if it does it idles like ****.. Can't get hold on a b16b manual!

Are we not supposed to put them in the way the b16a cams are put (using those holes on the cam)? Or do I need to use different set of cam gears, keeping in mind that the centerline is a little different?
The lobe centerlines are ground in the camshaft. Cant change it without adjustable cam gears, but you shouldn't have to change it if your using stock cam gears and nothing has been machined.
It sounds like the camshaft timing is off (like the belt is off a tooth).
If you have a degree wheel, you could check your camshaft timing (your centerlines) and see if they are in fact what they should be. I think I read on here that each tooth on the cam gear is 11.5 degrees.

I have seen people do cam swaps and bend valves by accident. If theres any chance of piston to valve contact during your install, I'd do a leakdown test just to make sure everything is still sealing up.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PyroProblem
The lobe centerlines are ground in the camshaft. Cant change it without adjustable cam gears, but you shouldn't have to change it if your using stock cam gears and nothing has been machined.
It sounds like the camshaft timing is off (like the belt is off a tooth).
If you have a degree wheel, you could check your camshaft timing (your centerlines) and see if they are in fact what they should be. I think I read on here that each tooth on the cam gear is 11.5 degrees.

I have seen people do cam swaps and bend valves by accident. If theres any chance of piston to valve contact during your install, I'd do a leakdown test just to make sure everything is still sealing up.
Thanks for the quick response. The head has got just a cleaning cut.. its barely been machined. So little that the "a" cams line up perfectly using the stock cam gear. Nothing has touched so far (thank god)

I'm not sure what did I do wrong, when I put the adjustable cam gears on! I used the cam locks to ensure they don't move and set up the timing , had to move the cam gears to their max advance setting and I had to up the base timing 43deg on the hondata to see 16 on the timing gun!

I will redo the full thing once again cuz, I know I have goofed up somewhere, just wanted to check, I had read somewhere that while installing the b16b camshafts on an "a", one should not use the cam lock holes to lock the cams and then set the mech timing! Is it true?

Also, wanted to check, if my info is correct, are all the b- series, specially the ctr,itr and b16a cam gears the same (PR3)?
Old 12-28-2015, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With that much difference in the base timing and the fact your cam gears are maxed out, Id take a close look at your camshaft timing. Sounds like its off for sure. Im pretty sure all the b series vtec cam gears are the same.
good luck!
Old 12-28-2015, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

What brand of cam gears are you using ??? They may be cut incorrectly. If all of your timing marks appear to line up correctly... TDC at crank and cam gears in a straight parallel line with the top of the head with the "UP" at or near the 12 O'clock position, then swap out the adjustable cam gears for a pair of stock ones. Remember that adjustable cam gears are completely unnecessary on stock cams when the head surface is uncut, the head gasket is OE thickness and the block has not been surfaced. If the head or block have been cut, then the cams will be retarded - each the same amount, so adjustable cam gears would be advanced the same to correct the event timing. If you use a thicker head gasket than stock, or thicker to offset a surfaced head and/or block, then the cams would be advanced, and both cam gears would be retarded the same value. Also don't forget that a valve adjustment must be done when swapping cams.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
What brand of cam gears are you using ??? They may be cut incorrectly. If all of your timing marks appear to line up correctly... TDC at crank and cam gears in a straight parallel line with the top of the head with the "UP" at or near the 12 O'clock position, then swap out the adjustable cam gears for a pair of stock ones. Remember that adjustable cam gears are completely unnecessary on stock cams when the head surface is uncut, the head gasket is OE thickness and the block has not been surfaced. If the head or block have been cut, then the cams will be retarded - each the same amount, so adjustable cam gears would be advanced the same to correct the event timing. If you use a thicker head gasket than stock, or thicker to offset a surfaced head and/or block, then the cams would be advanced, and both cam gears would be retarded the same value. Also don't forget that a valve adjustment must be done when swapping cams.
Thanks for responding! Have been **** *** busy with work and haven't got a chance to work on the car. The idea was to try and play with the LSA for some fun!!

Now that **** has hit the roof, as a 1st step was going to try out by using the oem cam gear and then see where/what went wrong!

For the first time, I tried using some no name ebay cam gear! I guess that's what the problem is. Was using a AEM truetime when I had the sohc engine!! Head gasket is a OEM Honda hg though!

Will update with the results soon!
Old 01-04-2016, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow yes EBay cam/valvetrain components are a no no. If you think of the cam(s) as the mechanical "brain" of the engine, why ever skimp out in that area. Who knows how accurate (or not) those gears are. First order of business should be to use OEM or decent aftermarket cam gears, zeroed at first, and then see where your at. God only knows where your timing is at now.