Notices

another honda bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 02:30 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: another honda bearing

That just goes to show the impurities and imperfections in the casting. Air bubbles and less than pure alloy mixes.

Much as the same problems with the rivets on the titanic really. The processes back then produced unequal alloys. Some rivets were stronger than others due to impurities as well as bad mixes and as well as imbalanced mixes.

Today the processes are much better but still sometimes you get little spots of imperfections.

I do not know enough to say if that is going to create issues for you by allowing a hot spot etc, or if it will run fine indefinitely.

It is sad to see, none the less.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run it. It should not affect anything in a negative way.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay. is this typical? i have a call in to the machine shop, im going to try and send them the same pictures and just have them confirm(not that i dont believe you, but this way its straight from the machinists mouth if something goes wrong). on a side note, i have sent my bearing back to majestic, and i am awaiting the exchange. i know my mind keeps changing but i initially ordered the pink/red bearing combo. i have since decided to do all reds across the bottom end. i figured be on the safe side and if needed be step up to slightly thicker engine oil. ill update as soon as i hear from the machine shop or receive my bearings and begin the plasti gauge / assembly process. thanks again to everyone.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1988dxsedan
okay. is this typical? i have a call in to the machine shop, im going to try and send them the same pictures and just have them confirm(not that i dont believe you, but this way its straight from the machinists mouth if something goes wrong). on a side note, i have sent my bearing back to majestic, and i am awaiting the exchange. i know my mind keeps changing but i initially ordered the pink/red bearing combo. i have since decided to do all reds across the bottom end. i figured be on the safe side and if needed be step up to slightly thicker engine oil. ill update as soon as i hear from the machine shop or receive my bearings and begin the plasti gauge / assembly process. thanks again to everyone.
No worries. Always get second opinions. Nobody knows everything. Many blocks have casting imperfections that get passed QC. It's just The way casting aluminum parts is/was. The machinist should have told you about it though. He is sure to have seen it during and after the line hone.. Physically, it's a small casting void that unless is connected to oil pressure, shouldn't have any negative effects. I don't see that small void causing significant structural changes to worry.
Good luck though. Keep us updated.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

quick update: i received all my bearings from majestic after the exchange and all. i put all REDS in the mains, and plasti gauged. all checked out perfectly between .0015-.0020, except main #1. it appeared to be just under .003. i double checked, same result. so i swapped out one red half for a pink. retorqued everything. and it did lower the reading with plasti gauge but was still approx .0025. i had no more bearings to try, so i did some quick math and according to it i need 2 yellows for main number one...worst case if that is a little snug, i have a pink half that i can mix with the yellow. i ordered 2 yellows from the local honda dealer last week. i want to double check #1 main bore with my dial bore gauge. i did re mic the crank 5 more times and it is the same as initially measured. not sure why #1 bore opened up more than the rest, or is plasti gauging larger than the rest rather, but ide like to double check it measurement wise as well, just have not had a free min, to check it. still pulling 11 hr min days and hunting season has been in full swing so time has been limited. soon as i get the yellows back, and double check with dial bore gauge just to verify ill post final results.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys, just wanted to apologize for that massive delay in updating my progress. My wife and I purchased our first home, and it has been chaos sinc they accepted our offer. We move on Feb 11, and I'll finally have a big shop to drop my new engine in. Anyway, I got a few min to work on the engine and have made good progress. If you remember my main clearances were good on mains 2-5, but 1 was a bit too large. Here's the update:
​​I bought 2 yellow bearings for number one. Plasti gauge 1-5 all over again and my results were as follows: 1= .002
2-5= .0015-.002 (almost dead between at .0018)

So I wanted to double check the plasti gauge with my dial bore gauge and got this:

​​​​​​​1-5= .0020-.0021

I'm satisfied with this. Also keep in mind I'm currently in my basement and it is substantially cooler downstairs than when I started this process. Which explains the slightly larger readings I'm getting with my measuring tools. Overall I'm content with the clearances on the mains.

Next I'm going to final clean the block, torque in the crank for the last time than plasti gauge rods. I have purchased the acl hx bearings since the Honda reds are STILL backordered . It might be after we move in until I get to doing that so I will update when I get time to work on it. Thanks everyone!