Notices

honda bearing question

Old 11-20-2015, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda bearing question

so im almost to the point of beginning the blueprinting of my bottom end. I fully intend on using oem Honda bearings. im not starting a debate as to which bearing is better. but my question is this: for the guys that use ACL standard bearings: acl claims that the standard size falls around Hondas green bearing. why not just order Honda green bearings and plasti gauge them as you normally would when using ACL's? I think most will agree that Honda makes quality bearings, along with acl, but most people that choose acl do so for the easier, just plasti gauge it method, rather than having to sit and mic and measure and blueprint everything. so once again, why not just order green Honda bearings if that's where acl claims to be with their standard size?

I have purchased good mics and will be measuring and documenting everything. im just asking because I was curious.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: honda bearing question

This belongs in the machining section
Old 11-20-2015, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. Want to move it? No one ever in that thread. I'm building a turbo setup so is that good enough to be on this section now?
Old 11-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ACL's are cheaper and easier to get. $100 for a set of ACLs vs $225 ish for a full set of OEMs. Most are happy with the quality of ACLs and they are readily available.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:35 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Muckman
ACL's are cheaper and easier to get. $100 for a set of ACLs vs $225 ish for a full set of OEMs. Most are happy with the quality of ACLs and they are readily available.
Give me the OEMs any day.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:52 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I said "most" not all.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Muckman
I said "most" not all.
Touche'
Old 11-21-2015, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. I was hoping to not get into the which is better thing. I just meant most guys will agree oem is quality, thats not saying acl isnt, im just asking if acl standard usually come in around green, would make sense to me to just order all greens amd plasti gauge them the same you would with acls. Cost is about double, I can see how that may be a reason for some. The money I put into my engine so far, I dont want to skimp a 100 bucks on something as important as bearings. Im just getting geared up and im excited to see how my bottom end actually mics out and what bearings it will take. Thanks for the thoughts so far and welcome any more.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I think it's mainly a cost issue for most. And for others like myself, couldn't get the correct clearances with oem bearings. Had to get the HX bearings for another .001" clearance.
Post up a build thread! It's cool there's still some people that blueprint an engine and not just slap it together with plastigauge. Props to that sir.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your going through the trouble to do all this & that, I cant see why anyone in there right mind would not do the whole process of mic'ing and blueprinting, Its just insane to me. I could not imagine getting everything together and something happening Lol. and then someone says wow what happened what was this spec? or that spec? and then replying oh I just through it together and felt lucky // and ontop of that was trying to make 4x the power output it was originally designed to make Lol. OP your on the right path OEM! and Mic'ing If you have any questions HT is here all day. GL.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:04 PM
Ferio Wdm Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Using oem bearings also give you the option of choosing how tight or loose you want to go to the T.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the support all. I may put a little thread together when the time comes. Im not very good at taking pics of the process lol. When I originally built the car amd stripped it down to nothing for paint and body, I started taking pics and the more involved I got the more I forgot the camera haha. This engine build is going on 3 years in just collecting parts lol. I try to wait it out for good bargain buys, and use just spare OT money. With a new baby I try to not take away from our family money. Doing little bits at a time. Trying to do it correct. Using good parts, oem bearings, blue printing everything. My hesitation with creating a build thread is the inevitable negativity that usually shows up in HT. My goals are different than most, and using some parts that most people may not. Seems like the guys that do these build threads have large credit card lines and can just buy 1500 dollar turbos "bc I only use the best" lol. Anyway im waaay off topic. But thanks to all that repsonded and if I get to it this week maybe ill start snapping pics and make a new thread here in the engine assembly section. I appreciate all the positivity so far with this topic, HT could use more like of it.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:28 PM

Or they saved the old fashioned way like you did, put money in the bank, then went nuts on a debit card to get what they precisely needed.

No one that has that kind of money does this stuff on a Honda.. Just speaking the truth.
Don't worry about your build thread, you'll be fine. What you may consider negative may actually just be devil's advocate in an attempt to help save your build in case there was something you didn't think of at the time. Which is normal for ANYONE doing a build.

Don't be so skiddish, and show that great newborn addition to the world that daddy has the ***** to not worry about what others think. (Assuming we're talking to dad, here )