Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Rumors, Myths and Flat Out Lies...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rumors, Myths and Flat Out Lies... (80884)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 80884 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm with you on this one. That bothers me and also the lack of respect bothers me at these events two. Example, national anthem plays, and in the background you hear some dj screaming about girls while gigga gigga rap rap hippity hop plays blasting from the stereo. That needs to go too. That doesn't happen at large sanctioned events such as the powerade events.

IMO, T&A, music, all that stuff should be far away from the actual racing. Want to see that stuff go somewhere that has it, sure it brings people in but it's not the racing that is bringing those people in. When was the last time you saw a bikini contest at an NHRA Top fuel race? </TD></TR></TABLE>

****!!!! what import event was you at that played the national anthem??? I've been to all the NOPI races and not one time i ever heard the national athem played before a race.But like you said...you sure can hear the damn bikini contest. though....they make sure you hear that.

I've been to tractor pulls and they even play the NATIONAL ANTHEM!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rumors, Myths and Flat Out Lies... (BoogieDownBrown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoogieDownBrown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Stephanie&lt; i was saying that YOU were crying......by far you are the last person i would even make that statement about. You are a good example of the kind of people that we need in this sport.I know it gets frustrating alot of the times worrying were money is gonna come from to support your habit(DRAG RACING!!!!)

But like you said.....you never gave up.Keep striving and keep up the good work. it'll all fall into place for u.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's cool, I just didn't want my post missinterpreted as poor me, now I have to sell my car 'cuz no one's gonna give me $$$, that's all...
Old 11-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rumors, Myths and Flat Out Lies... (Eggum Racing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eggum Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's cool, I just didn't want my post missinterpreted as poor me, now I have to sell my car 'cuz no one's gonna give me $$$, that's all...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm actually surprised you haven't picked up a sponsor. it seems like for a while women had the advantage in this sport. Hate to see you sell your car,but i understand you gotta do that sucky thing called "responsibilty"

Just be patient..... if you can stick with it a lil longer....please do. i'm sure everyone on here loves seeing you,your crew and your car at the track.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe they only play it at NHRA events? Either way, they probably do play it at nopi, you just can't hear it for all the other crap going on.

Events would be better without this stuff going on, or maybe going on at a different time or place. Thats just my opionion, i'm going to bed.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

woop just got the latest news from the press stephanie eggum is driving a F1 car next season ..
Old 11-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with you. i don't mind it being there,but not when the racing is going on.It always trips me out that thats when you see the most crown...at the Bikin contest. after the bikini contest the ******* track looks like a ghost town with tumbleweed rolling by or it just looks like a carnival just left town and us the racers did leave with them. so that just leave the racers to watch the racers.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is my opinion on the whole thing as an outsider for the most part. I have only raced at one of the big sanctioning bodies races.

it seems that BOTI and IDRC are gettin no attendence at all and should be disbanded unless they have an event on the other side of the country so local racers can race and not have to travel 1500 miles to a NHRA or NDRA race.

I see no money from big name companies goin into pro classes. the sportsman do almost everything on their own and if they do get a "hook up" it is a cheaper price on a part from another shop they met a racer from through the events. look at powerade and how many non-industry sponsors there are. Stephanie and a few others have are the only ones that have a clue what it would cost to build and campaign a competitive pro car. without help I know I can't afford to do it.

Fact is if you want it to grow it has to be survival of the fittest. NHRA and NDRA need to stay and the IDRC and BOTI need to just give it up. next more money needs to trickle down to the little guy and then you will see more pro cars come out of no where. I am not just talking winnings but money from sponsors etc. GM is the only one smart enough to send money to sportsman classes(or so the rumor says). the futrue is the sprtfwd, turbo4, power street, comp4, street stock etc and until the winnners fo the classes at least break even for the year you will see no growth.

Sorry to hijack the thread Stephanie. I hope to see you out next year and gettin consistantly faster like you did this year. you and your team(family) show what the sport is based on and people like you will be the beginning to making the sport grow
Old 11-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rumors, Myths and Flat Out Lies... (runsnines)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by runsnines &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">woop just got the latest news from the press stephanie eggum is driving a F1 car next season .. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ehhh, i don't think so - i heard she is getting in an IRL car and running up against Danica Patrick
Old 11-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rumors, Myths and Flat Out Lies... (ihaterice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ihaterice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ehhh, i don't think so - i heard she is getting in an IRL car and running up against Danica Patrick </TD></TR></TABLE>

well of course you heard that because i heard that they are both lovers!!!!!

JUST KIDDING PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoogieDownBrown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well of course you heard that because i heard that they are both lovers!!!!!

JUST KIDDING PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

not a bad idea though....I am sure the videos could fund the racing next year
Old 11-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rumors, Myths and Flat Out Lies... (BoostR41)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostR41 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not a bad idea though....I am sure the videos could fund the racing next year </TD></TR></TABLE>

rofl - i think this thread just took a turn for the worse, sorry stephanie
Old 11-10-2005, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ihaterice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

rofl - i think this thread just took a turn for the worse, sorry stephanie</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol....getting back on topic.

There is no reason why Eggum racing can't find a sponsor to help next year. If they can't It is a shame. I mean the car really got a lot faster in a short amount of time compared to other racers this year.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:36 PM

I know, I should start a "Save Stephanie's Civic" fund on MySpace.com or something, donations to my paypal account! J/K...
Old 11-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Unfortunately a few of the teams that run the Hot-Rod to PFWD/RWD class are starting to see how hard it is to compete with a "grassroots style" team. It is something that I learned a long time ago while I raced in the NHRA Division 7 with my muscle car (before converting to imports). As well as it is something that all those old school guys knew throughout NHRA as well. That is, you will pretty much never be on the positive side of making money in thi sport (drag racing). The only way you will ever come close to being free and clear of any money hardaches is if you are the driver and the driver only. Sure the payout is huge compared to ours when you look at it. But also realize that it cost about $750K to race one of those cars (TF/FC/PS) in a weekend. Even when they win a Bud Shootout for an extra $250K that barely covers a day worth of racing and crew guys. What it comes down to at that point "The love of the sport" an "Bragging rights."

It has been a double edged sword for a number of years now. We have been kicking and clawing our way to the top to be seen as a legitiment contender in this sport, and now I feel that we have over done it with a few things, taking the market for granted at times and shot ourselves in the foot. We are on the verge of losing 2 of the sports real influential personalities: Papadakis, and Caurlson.

Let's face it these sanctioning bodies are here to make money as well as the sponsors also. But I think that there is just to many "individual bodies." I think they need to have a meeting of the minds if you will to talk about possibly reducing or combining some of these racing bodies. That will I fell only benefit everyone involved, and I think it will help attract new racers who might be on the fence about competing.

We as a community of racers need to help get somehthing like that across to these racing bodies. Otherwise I am sad to say I think that it will be too late to stop the bleeding and attendence and paticipation will decline over the next 2 seasons until who knows what in the '08 season. We might not have anything to loos forward to but the good old days of Wednesday night fun runs.

With that being said, Steph good luck securing a sponsor for the next season.

Jason
Old 11-10-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Rumors, Myths and Flat Out Lies... (SFWD 1934)

Screw waiting for them to get together, I think that all of us as racers should commit to one series. Let us make up their minds for them. If we want this sport to succeed for the long term then all of us as racers have to do something.

I personally know where I would lean and I think that most racers would probably lean the same way.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rumors, Myths and Flat Out Lies... (CDR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CDR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Screw waiting for them to get together, I think that all of us as racers should commit to one series. Let us make up their minds for them. If we want this sport to succeed for the long term then all of us as racers have to do something.

I personally know where I would lean and I think that most racers would probably lean the same way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that would be hard. on one hand you have the NHRA that has the Name and years behind it and then you have the NDRA that has just so much goin on at events and has the potential, if marketed correctly, to bring in huge crowds.

Racers don't always look at those things though. I know I like the NDRA because they have a street tire sports man class for turbo cars. I know a lot of guys that choose where to race based on what classes there are for them to run in
Old 11-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry Stephanie,

I too am going to hijack this thread off topic.
Seriously sport compact drag racing is on life support. I agree there are too many sanctioning bodies which thins out the money and racer attendance. The disparity in rules and conflicting dates also make it difficult on racers who want to run in more than body. The lack of racer attendance and lack of competition in classes, doesn't make it very interesting, which in turn equal low attendance and less money all around. This also discourages sponsors from laying out money when there is no one to advertise to.

The Pan-American races pack the stands around here. I guess they come out for national pride (Puerto Rico vs Team USA) and bring they entire family. As annoying as I find un-muffled rotaries, they fill place and everyone is watching, mom, kids. That is the stuff sponsors like hitting a large demographic and lots of attendance. Years ago when I was writing a proposal and a lot of companies weren't interested in our demographic and weren't impressed with the attendance numbers. They felt it was too narrow an age group, salary group. They didn't think they would get a worth while return on their money. For example... having a Tide sponsored car in sport compact racing wouldn't help them sell more product. Also like Steph said companies aren't secure with making an investment to team made of 20-somethings. They like guarateed apperances, how they will be represented...etc.

Sport Compact racing is tough now, with its explosive growth, it needs high dollar teams to support a big national series, let alone 3-4. It needs to look good and be fast to keep it popular with the main stream. Without these things we don't get ESPN level media coverage and our popularity goes to the wayside with the average joe. However more than 90% of the involved racers are on the grassroots level with grassroots budgets. The racing is still exciting to us, but doesn't do it for the mainstream or have the flash of big dollar event. It kind of a catch 22 right now and time will tell. Big ups to everyone who is racing and keeping it alive.

I like Chris idea of scaling back the classes

Now for my Stephanie Eggum rumor:
I heard she is leaving racing to be the next big female freeflyer in skydiving. She will also be joining the Performance Designs Factory Swoop team.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Rumors, Myths and Flat Out Lies... (Rogue108)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rogue108 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Now for my Stephanie Eggum rumor:
I heard she is leaving racing to be the next big female freeflyer in skydiving. She will also be joining the Performance Designs Factory Swoop team.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Considering my 2001 skydiving accident I'm going to have to nix that rumor...
Old 11-10-2005, 11:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostR41 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Fact is if you want it to grow it has to be survival of the fittest. NHRA and NDRA need to stay and the IDRC and BOTI need to just give it up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats just ridiculous. IDRC and BOTI are in the markets where they are needed the most.

BOTI in Chicago, Seattle, and Central Cali are very IMPORTANT races. NHRA and NDRA dont visit those regions, so they are perfect for that market. Why deprive the racers in that area without an event.

IDRC in SoCal, Arizona are other very important races that feed the need for the market in those areas. There are 2 NHRA racers in SoCal and Zero by NDRA. Imagine that, 2 NHRA events in 1 year for a region with so many people and racers. Thats why we need IDRC and BOTI to fill that void. Even though they dont bring thousands of spectators at each event. They are still major players in the industry.

IDRC and BOTI should be here to stay. NDRA and NHRA can't do everything themselves.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well here's my 2 cents i think they should just combine all the santioning bodies to one organization meaning Idrc,nopi,nhra,boti! they should call it NSCRA . national sport compact racing association. take all the rules combine them into on uniform code. then the should have a race schedule the run all over the east and west coast. well this is jsu a thought since peeps won't have to worry about have 2 different races on the same day.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:30 AM
Better than steak

Default Re: (tagperformance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tagperformance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well here's my 2 cents i think they should just combine all the santioning bodies to one organization meaning Idrc,nopi,nhra,boti! they should call it NSCRA . national sport compact racing association. take all the rules combine them into on uniform code. then the should have a race schedule the run all over the east and west coast. well this is jsu a thought since peeps won't have to worry about have 2 different races on the same day.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Then who collects all the money?
Old 11-11-2005, 05:31 AM

Let me start by saying, please do not take this the wrong way people, I am not pointing fingers at any racers, sanctioning bodies, or sponsors.

This is a industry that is driven by money, whether it is import or domestic. The only problem is that the domestic guys don't quit or give up because of class rules or money for pay outs. Those guys are die hard racers, and would race anywhere anytime if they could legally.

Why do you think the the motorcycle guys that ran with us this year loved it so much?
From what they tell us, it is the TV coverage first, then the fast Pro cars and Sportsman cars, the women, and then the money. These guys do this because they love racing, not because of thier ego's or thier wallets. The top guys in that class have helped re-write the rulebook for thier class so they can have 20+ Pro bikes at all events next year.

Why is that everyone on the car side of the racing only wants to see GM penalized, and more money added?
Here is an idea, lets run a full season, with full classes and then we can all enjoy the benefits of sponsors that will roll into to support this side of the industry.
You know, I go to alot of events every year, and the sad thing I see is that all of these companies dump hundreds of thousands of dollars into domestic racing and ignore Sport Compact.

Do you know why?
Because those guys never give up, and never abandon the sport they love.

Sure I understand that alot of racers do not care about the stage show, alot do however, but please remember, alot of the car show people do not care about the racing, they only want to show off thier cars and look at the stuff on stage.
Why do you think it is that we have a Swimsuit sponsor every year, but we can't find hardly any racing class sponsors? Just so you know, they line up to support the Swimsuit contest and the stage show.

Please remember this, I deal with sponsors and racers day in and day out. And day in and day out I hear the same things from both. Sponsors, "we need more cars to race, so we can justify spending more money on Sport Compact racing."
Racers, "we need more money to race, and we need the rules changed".

Who does it sound like is only looking out for thier best interest only?
Old 11-11-2005, 06:09 AM
H-T Administrator

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: (NDRATECH)

Glenn couldn't have said it better myself! Nice work.

Clayton
Old 11-11-2005, 06:23 AM

Glen,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but sport compact racers do not quit because they want to, they quit because they have to.

The difference between sport compact younger kids and domestic adults is that the domestic adults have been working longer and have more money to spend (disposable income). The <U>majority</U> of the sport compact crowd relies on payouts and credit cards.

You have been seeing this I am sure by parts sales at NOPI. I am willing to bet that sales there are way down. Does this mean that the NDRA racers purchasing parts directly effect the sales at NOPI? No, this means that your target market no longer has money! They have borrowed all the money they can and maxed out their credit cards.

At this moment in time the only way sport compact racing will survive is if you blend in the domestics. Why, because they have money.

What I am saying is not difficult, you have to look at the big picture.

It is a matter of economics not racing rules!

I sell domestic parts and also sport compact parts. I have sport compact customer's shops that are business slow and right next door to them there domestic shops that are busy. This is not just in one area of the country either, this is all over.

So if you are listening you need to branch out and diversify, or you will be making your already existing problems worse.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this i just my 2 pcs copper,
the whole racing ,speed,going faster,being #1,etc,etc is like a drug. you actually get addicted to it ( i learned this many years ago running in a american car feild) you have to accept ther is always going to be some one faster and better then you, and set your limits! thats where alot of people loose it they get them selfs to deep into a $$$ pit then it becomes depressing .you cant go and depend on a sponsor or some one elses money to fund ya thats why you see al;ot of inconsistent people in th efeilds they are hear then they aint cause they cant afford it at the moment you got to leave lead way for probs wich catch alot of people out their they spend their whole limit on something and dont expect prob but unfortunallletly probs happen when you least expect it ,just go 0out their witha a limilt and if ya pick up a sponsor thats great just dont depend on it this is why this whole sport compact thing took off like a rocket their are alot of sponsors thats the reason why these cars are flying $$$$$$$$ is what it comes down too,but how long will those $ be their dont put your self in a predicament where you are trying to compete with a sponsor with unlimited funds step it down a notch and stay in your bracket

this whole blah,blah,aint directed at any 1 person so please dont take it thats way

Quick Reply: Rumors, Myths and Flat Out Lies...