Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

NOPI Combining awd and rwd with fwd? Common!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: NOPI Combining awd and rwd with fwd? Common! (Arturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry to disagree with everyone, but I think it should be FWD vs FWD. Call it crying or bitching but I call it my own opinion. Other than not letting the cobalts run the SFWD rules were just fine. A lot of people are affraid to talk against Ballard or tony because if they give their opinion they get slammed with crying or bitching, but in my case I CARE for the class.

If TS was so much better than SFWD then why was Ballard trying so hard to get in the class and race with us? Because there was better competition and he knows that. The fact he had a place to race in NOPI because they allowed him to run is why he lobbies for NOPI. You scratch my back I will scratch yours. Not to single you out brian but you are the most vocal so someone on the other end has to be vocal too. LOL
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you are wrong when you say there was better competition in SFWD than Turbo Street. Turbo Street had some great racing this year, not one race in the past 2 years was won with a 10 second pass (can sfwd say that over the past 2 years - I know of 5 races off of the top of my head that weren't). I wanted to run Sport FWD for the fact that I am a heads up racer and I wanted to win Wallys. Simple fact is, the original sport fwd rules would have allowed us to race. That rule came out once they got wind that there might be a cobalt coming out (2005). The trans rule in NHRA was bogus, and most people know that. But it is all hind sight now. The simple fact is that NOPI doesn't try to prevent cars from running in their classes, they allow different types of cars to run. So you can call me a NOPI nutrider (as you are inferring) or whatever you would like. But I have always supported both series. I'm not a fan of everything that NOPI does, but for the most part, I feel that they do a good job with what they are given.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NOPI Combining awd and rwd with fwd? Common! (XXXRacing)

Nopi did have good racing in turbo street but how do you explain the reason that NHRA's SFWD became popular after Nopi changed thier rules in turbo street, which allowed RWD & AWD cars to compete and were more lenient overall?

I hope NOPI gets it right this time, because if they don't, then the consequences will be much greater now that they are the only major racing sanction left.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NOPI Combining awd and rwd with fwd? Common! (NOPIDRAGS)

sorry, i thought that car was in nhra trim, but it is not far off from being legal.
screw it, i don't care anymore. i know you guys are gonna do whatever you think it takes to get more people in. my car is coming back swinging a big stick anyway.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Better than steak

There was a reason why mostly everyone called their build a SFWD Set up as opposed to a Turbo Street set up. I realize NHRA is gone and left us cold, but SFWD was the standard that everyone wanted to build a car for. Because someone runs a 9 and takes a win doesnt mean its good racing. Side by side is what is exciting.

Let me ask you this brian, whats wrong with FWD vs FWD?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NOPI Combining awd and rwd with fwd? Common! (Arturbo)

you both have good points, but with the merger ie: awd,rwd,fwd where is the authenticity that fwd has proven it can hold its own?

why wouldnt the rwd,awd crowd want that?....
Old 11-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NOPI Combining awd and rwd with fwd? Common! (MrJParks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MrJParks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you both have good points, but with the merger ie: awd,rwd,fwd where is the authenticity that fwd has proven it can hold its own?

why wouldnt the rwd,awd crowd want that?....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like I said before, competition brings out the best in everyone
Old 11-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You know whats kinda funny is, some people on here say "we need more people in the stands"

But how does adding RWD & AWD cars into the already successful (SFWD class) where more than 16 cars show up and don't even qualify solve this???

The problem is not the class...its the stands. Which is another problem in itself, which requires a different solution.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NOPI Combining awd and rwd with fwd? Common! (Cheeks153)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cheeks153 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Like I said before, competition brings out the best in everyone </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats why SFWD is successful...nobody has an advantage over anyone.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NOPI Combining awd and rwd with fwd? Common! (tommyten)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tommyten &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats why SFWD is successful.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so why wouldn't bringing more cars into the class add to the competitive nature of it???
Old 11-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I hope to race sfwd someday.. probably 2-3 years out..

The class should be fwd vs fwd, everyone should be on nearly the same platform. racing wildly different setups, although still racing, is not what its all about. Everybody should be up against roughly the same issues in building the car, that is what makes it enjoyable.

Look at domestic racing, my favorite class is SS/AA, they are only late sixties Hemi Darts and Barracuda's. here is a quote:

"The cars are the same, the engines are the same. There is nothing else that fits the class, (except the occasional aluminum-nosed ‘64 Plymouth Belvedere - also Hemi powered), so everyone works with the same combination. There are no horsepower factors, no lobbying to get your combination more favorably factored by the association. There is no Detroit offering ever produced that is quicker and faster. It is simply a meeting of the sharpest, racing the same elite equipment, truly a test to see which one is the baddest. "

This is why sfwd is the best in import drag racing.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like I said in the earlier post. SFWD already has more than enough racers already showing up.

NHRA's rules have set the standard for the guys in SFWD to follow and as you have seen already based on the results for this year, nobody dominated in that class and slower people got faster. Towards the end of the season, everyone was a few tenths of each other.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tommyten &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nopi did have good racing in turbo street but how do you explain the reason that NHRA's SFWD became popular after Nopi changed thier rules in turbo street, which allowed RWD & AWD cars to compete and were more lenient overall?

I hope NOPI gets it right this time, because if they don't, then the consequences will be much greater now that they are the only major racing sanction left.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tommy - let me give you a little history lesson.

Turbo 4 (NOPI 2002 - 2005) rules allowed AWD and RWD cars to race (had to be a 4 cylinder)
Turbo Street - 2006 - Combined Turbo 4 and Turbo 6 (due to low car counts in Turbo 6). AWD, RWD, FWD 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder cars - somehow managed to create good racing too
Turbo Street - 2007 - Back to old Turbo 4 rules - FWD, RWD AWD 4 cylinder
Turbo Street - 2008 - who knows? I'm sure it will somehow create good racing..even with all of the crying!

Turbo 4/Turbo Street has had bigger fields than SFWD for the past 5 seasons - See MIR results...
Certain areas have a large contingent that build only Sport FWD cards (see Utah and California) as there were more NHRA races in the area and NHRA has a little more prestige than NOPI...Most people on the east coast run their cars in Turbo Street and Sport FWD.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey zach, we met in indy I believe.

I understand your concept, but when you already have 20+ on a regular basis trying to make the field in a FWD class, it almost seems that to add more to the confusion would hinder the class itself, and not to mention seeing rule changes in mid season again, once we see rwd running off with the class. (because there is no way a fwd would if there are rwd participating.)

Ie: turbo 4. = 4 cyl. Production motors.
Example: Honda motors are already peeking in the 900-1000hp marker on gas. If you had a rwd make that kind of power where would it be et wise? Or not to mention it wouldn’t have to make anywhere near the same power to make the same et in a rwd. Then you have restrictions to bring the class back to par. It just sounds like another cluster f… again. (why fix something that has been proven to work time and time again?)

I understand that rwd,awd doesn’t have that many particapents but why add to a class that tops the field off already? Seems like it would be more trouble for(rwd guys to compete = restrictions or not ever winning)
Old 11-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can remember on here just a few years ago when everyone praised Nopi's T4 class (at the time) , then maybe about two years ago something happend...all of the sudden NHRA's SFWD class was the class to be in and everybody started talking **** about Nopi ever since. I'm sure you noticed this to?

Modified by tommyten at 3:23 PM 11/13/2007
Old 11-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tommyten &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can remember on here just a few years ago when everyone praised Nopi's T4 class (at the time) , then maybe about two years ago something happend...all of the sudden NHRA's SFWD class was the class to be in and everybody started talking **** about Nopi ever since. I'm sure you noticed this to? </TD></TR></TABLE>
i think part of it is that they droped races and added drift events. that did it for me.i started working towards nhra only
Old 11-13-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: NOPI Combining awd and rwd with fwd? Common! (turbotypeR@SPEC)

Some more facts and figures for you guys.....

2007 SFWD Competitors 8 events total - 118 total

2007 Turbostreet Comp. 8 events total - 116 total

So do 2 cars make one class so much bigger like you guys are saying it is?????

On average, that is 14.75 cars per event in one trim and 14.50 per event in another???

So why not merge the two classe with a really good set of rules and double the car count????

234 Cars eligible with changes here and there....
That is 29.25 cars per event...........

In reference to the event total dropping in 2006 we had 10 events with 139 cars for the Turbostreet class, that is only 13.9 per event average....
In 2005 with 10 events we had a 131 cars for the class, that is only 13.1.......
Looks like there is an upward trend to me, I would assume the NHRASC numbers did the same thing........

Or I guess we can just go on and on and debate stuff like this until the rulebook is done, and then start it all over again once the rulebook is released.........
Old 11-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glenn you need to quit looking up silly stats and work on the schedule and rules.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was just about to post up the stats as well. After each race my team goes to I print out all the results and put them in a binder. Here's what I came up with:

<U>NHRA Sport FWD Competitors</U>
Moroso - 10
Richmond - 13
E-town Spring - 12
Atco - 13
Vegas - 21
Indy - 10
E-town Fall - 20
Pomona - 24

<U>NOPI Turbo Street Competitors</U>
Dallas - 17
Phoenix - 20
Atco - 13
MIR - 26
St. Louis - 8
Milan - 9
Epping - 13
MIR - 21
Old 11-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NOPI Combining awd and rwd with fwd? Common! (1fstEP3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1fstEP3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was just about to post up the stats as well. After each race my team goes to I print out all the results and put them in a binder. Here's what I came up with:

Moroso - 10
Richmond - 13
E-town Spring - 12
Atco - 13
Vegas - 21
Indy - 10
E-town Fall - 20
Pomona - 24

Dallas - 17
Phoenix - 20
Atco - 13
MIR - 26
St. Louis - 8
Milan - 9
Epping - 13
MIR - 21</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow, thats cool....Seems like mid to western regions all had higher numbers. And I thought we didn’t come out and race….
Old 11-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not against Nopi, in fact, I hope they succeed. But I just don't understand why you would want to alter a good thing and by your facts and figures, two good things.

So in other words you want to have a 29 car class with a 16 car field? or would you increase the field size? Because if you didn't then I would think that you might lose potential racers.

All we're doing is debating, nothing more. That is what this forum is here for right? to exchange ideas and information...
Old 11-13-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Re: NOPI Combining awd and rwd with fwd? Common! (SpeedDreamz.com)

Just waiting on the West Coast Tracks to call us back so we can finish the schedule.

Seems like they don't care if we have an event out west, that was the reason in getting some of the west coast racers involved.........

Schedule first, rulebook second.......

No we will entertain a 32 car field as long as we have the required amount of 28 or more.......
Old 11-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOPIDRAGS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
No we will entertain a 32 car field as long as we have the required amount of 28 or more.......</TD></TR></TABLE>

a full 32 field sfwd class would be sick...
Old 11-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Should be interesting... You guys have a lot on your plate.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get those bloody rules done already!
Old 11-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1fstEP3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was just about to post up the stats as well. After each race my team goes to I print out all the results and put them in a binder. Here's what I came up with:

Moroso - 10
Richmond - 13
E-town Spring - 12
Atco - 13
Vegas - 21
Indy - 10
E-town Fall - 20
Pomona - 24

Dallas - 17
Phoenix - 20
Atco - 13
MIR - 26
St. Louis - 8
Milan - 9
Epping - 13
MIR - 21</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quick Reply: NOPI Combining awd and rwd with fwd? Common!