Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

How do you increase attendance in the stands?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (FWDrag)

great idea change the class's more, so then people have to try and sell what they have to buy new stuff that fits the new requirements....
Old 05-25-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (DaveF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaveF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">great idea change the class's more, so then people have to try and sell what they have to buy new stuff that fits the new requirements.... </TD></TR></TABLE>how about just keeping the same rules but add wheelie bars and lexan windows and optional 1 piece front end..? and make a more affordable class for beginners to compete in. ?
Old 05-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (DaveF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaveF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">great idea change the class's more, so then people have to try and sell what they have to buy new stuff that fits the new requirements.... </TD></TR></TABLE>i think the sport needs to go back before it can go forward.the racers need to be able to afford to race that is the problem. should the racers be given a free ride no but as it stands right know you can go out there and bust your *** and never get any help that needs to change.the racers need help how many racers need to go into dept before enough is enough. the fans come to see people race if nobody can afford to race then you have nothing for the fans to watch
Old 05-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Drag Race Inc)

How do you increase attendance in the stands?

by going to the races...... if you want sc drag racing to continue, support them by going and show the drag racing community were still here making a dent.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rota92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you can show me a hardcore racer running ANY car in a class worldwide within a reasonal percentage of the per capita income that isn't in some sort of debt/financial angst sign me up for their life lol

It's just the nature of the sport, and I've learned to deal no matter how much I like it haha</TD></TR></TABLE>but that's what you have now a bunch of broke *** racers that are so far in dept they cant even make it to the track anymore. the fans want to see racing not cars make bye runs.i think ron is on to something there needs to be **** talking rivelries drama people love drama .think about if hot rod went back to a 70mm turbo 26 tire less power smaller tire less breakage more money to go race .
Old 05-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (f@sth@tch89)

[QUOTE=f@sth@tch89]everyone talks about sitting at home and watching live feeds....HONDA-TECh is just message board. Does this go for nissan, mitsu, toyota, scion, Gm, or other honda sites.
I like the live feeds. if the event was in my area im going to the track to watch not sit behind a computer refreshing every few minutes. I think it helps the person who is across the country or state who has no possible chance of making it.

as far as the b-series guy being unable to compete...i cannot speak on why folks did or did not step up to the newest motor with the better technology. We all know K-series is the motor to use. If street guys can pull off a k-series EG/EK swap, how come a self proclaimed all motor pro racer couldnt make the switch? The problem that i see is that we are still young as an industry. Now you have the guys/gals that go k-series and the B, D, H series guys all crying unfair. First it was complaining about the VWs, then Jesus padilla, now folks are ran off from within...The K-series motor. Not all k-series competitors are on the same level. No easy fix to this. Money dictates motorsports performance or lack there of.[/QUOTE]

Forcing teams to constantly upgrade to be competitive is one of the problems as a whole. The rules should be such that the B and K series can be equal in performace, or any other engine for that matter. Whether thats with a weight penalty or displacment handycap. The driver should win the race not what power plant you choose. The K-series engine is obviously superior in performance to the B-series engine but thats not the question at hand.... its making rules that make them perform the same and leaving the win upto the driver.

As far as the current K-series top guys and even leslie, they have very expensive motors. People really dont realize how expensive those motors are. Its not just the motor its all the support mods making it the power plant as a whole. were talking 35-45k for a trun key top running motor. if you need 2 a year that 70-90k in just engines. then you got trannies, engine management and chassis and traveling making it a 200k300k+ budget to run that car for 10 races. how many can afford that, well apparently only 3-4 teams. Even skunk2 cant afford it, or they would be racing. thats not a cheap shot at all... things have gotten so expensive its not worth it anymore. All the indicators are there, teams dropping out, classes reducing in size even NHRA basically hanging it up.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (Paradise Racing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paradise Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NO matter how much we love what were doing, we have to face the fact that it is a business. In business, marketing is second only to the quality of your product. I say this because you could have the absolute best product in the world but if the customers don’t know of your product, your not selling it.

The marketing that has been done for Sport Compact racing in the past has worked to a certain degree but it has failed as well. It failed to continue bringing in new fans and expanding the demographic base. I also feel like Sport Compact Marketing failed to turn up the heat when our momentum reached it’s lowest point and drifting received the momentum exploding them into the lime light.

I call the current marketing efforts complimentary. I say this because the efforts are minimal as if we had a major brand as Coke or Pepsi. Radio ads and flyers work well for them because 90% of households across the U.S. are familiar with them. And even though they have this level of notoriety, they will have marketing blitzes to continually grow consumer awareness and demographic growth.

How many people in the U.S. are really familiar with the NOPI / BOTI / former NHRA Sport Compact brand? How many people are familiar with Sport Compact Racing? The ones who are familiar with Sport Compact Racings introduction came with the F&F movies. So how do these people feel about our sport? Do they even recognize it as a sport? If given a chance, would they attend one of our events? If given the chance to attend an event, at what point would the entertainment value be worth their hard earned dollars? Would spectators attend if the entrance fee was $50.00? $40.00? $30.00? $20.00? $10.00? Free? If a family with kids attended one of our events, would the parents be offended by the bikini show? How many other forms of motorsport have a bikini show? Why is the bikini show ran during any sort of racing? Why is there such a huge disparity between teams? Why is racer A running a whole 2 to 3 seconds faster than racer B? Why are most of the cars out there with out sponsors?

If we answer these questions and more, we can begin to figure out where our old spectators went and why we are not building a new spectator base.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This reminded me...

when was the last time someone went to a HIN or other car show, and got a flyer for a drag racing event? I have been to Dub, HIN, and several other shows, and very few (if at all) are there actually representatives from BOTI / NHRA / NOPI / IDRC there to pass out fliers. Even if the event is 3-6 months away, you have to recognize that the kids attending these shows ARE your target market! HIN Seattle is August 2nd, and Battle is up there August 22nd, and in Woodburn a month after that. HIN Boston was in April, and although NOPI Drag is in August in NH, it seems that it would be a great opportunity to pass out fliers and promote the event. The same person who spent $25 to go to a car show will probably spend another $25 (and bring 2-3 of their friends) to check out the cars on the race track! If you want to be legit, perhaps the sanctioning body can pay the entry fee for 2 or 3 of their local racers to setup and have a booth there and pass out fliers. Or there's always the guerilla marketing method of passing out flyers to everyone as they enter / leave, or flyer-ing the parking lot. It seems like this doesn't happen enough with drag racing sanctioning bodies.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:42 PM
King of the One Liners

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (Slapshotnerd)

Do you really think that changing the classes is going to draw people to the races?
It might attract 1 or 2 more racers , IF THAT, and then you will have the same people that raced before changing their setups and coming back out . In the end you just caused a few people to spend money they dont have on changing setups and have the same number of racers that were in the previous class. I cant see us changing the HR class, adding a smaller turbo to turbo street, adding more weight to Ks in pure street, etc - adding up to more people in the stands and more cars in the field. If someone has the competitive nature to race then they will do so.

The B vs K dispute is pointless IMO. Yes the K is better. If you want to be competitive then you go with the fastest motor right? Am I the only one missing something here? its like the late 90s when a GSR swap was expensive but boosting your single cam wasnt too bad. Same principle. Do you see people out here running good ol' t3/4s in turbo street? NO because they know they have to go big to be competitive. Thats racing plain and simple. I highly doubt everyone running a K is the reason we have less racers in the fields and spectators in the stands.

In my eyes, this isnt about changing what we already have going for us , Its finding a way to showcase this to the people outside of our sport. We need to think outside the box and come up with a way to make it appealing to the masses. Thats the only way we will survive long term.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (Slapshotnerd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slapshotnerd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This reminded me...

when was the last time someone went to a HIN or other car show, and got a flyer for a drag racing event? I have been to Dub, HIN, and several other shows, and very few (if at all) are there actually representatives from BOTI / NHRA / NOPI / IDRC there to pass out fliers. Even if the event is 3-6 months away, you have to recognize that the kids attending these shows ARE your target market! HIN Seattle is August 2nd, and Battle is up there August 22nd, and in Woodburn a month after that. HIN Boston was in April, and although NOPI Drag is in August in NH, it seems that it would be a great opportunity to pass out fliers and promote the event. The same person who spent $25 to go to a car show will probably spend another $25 (and bring 2-3 of their friends) to check out the cars on the race track! If you want to be legit, perhaps the sanctioning body can pay the entry fee for 2 or 3 of their local racers to setup and have a booth there and pass out fliers. Or there's always the guerilla marketing method of passing out flyers to everyone as they enter / leave, or flyer-ing the parking lot. It seems like this doesn't happen enough with drag racing sanctioning bodies.</TD></TR></TABLE>

We (Mark, Michael, NOPI STAFF staff and some volunteers) inserted the BOTI promo into a large portion of our AIR FORCE goodie bags that we gave away at the gate that had the NOPI show programs last weekend at MIR. Doesn't mean much in the whole scheme of things and we were not asked by any other sanctioning body to do so. Just FYI.

OH Yeah I forgot this is Honda Tech........... I still hate NOPI THough.

Modified by NOPIMAN at 7:52 PM 5/25/2008
Old 05-25-2008, 06:30 PM
King of the One Liners

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (NOPIMAN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOPIMAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

OH Yeah I forgot this is Honda Tech........... I still hate NOPI THough.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good move man, Bite the hand that feeds you.

Take parting shots at the guys that fill your fields. . .
Old 05-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Lierley Fab

Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (2fastGSR)

hahaha not much filling going on right now
Old 05-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

every year for the past 2 or 3 years we keep hearing about old hot rod or all motor cars...where are these cars? where are the drivers of these cars that are pushing for these changes? it would be nice to see these cars out, but i dont think they even want to race, because if it was so expensive they could have ran quick 16, sport fwd, or ran in the SummitET series or Comp Elim. so i think its a pipe dream to think that these cars that are rusting out or collecting dust is just waiting on rule changes so they can come out and race.

drivers/cars that are waiting to race?
Old 05-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ExospeedAMcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ExospeedAMcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ya and the pan-americans doesnt reflect the whole sport compact industry as a whole. the spectators and racers in that series are not the same market as the rest of the nation. thats just another local thing on its own. can't compare.

I'd brag about the PSCA and other local stuff too here in CA, but its not the same demographics that we are looking at in our industry. Its basically apples and oranges.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im sorry but I beg to differ on your opinion.

The Pan Americans is a race that is reserved for 4 & 6 cyl, 2 & 3 rotor front and rear wheel drive participation only!!!

There are only 2 no no's. No 8 cyl and no dragsters. Anything else goes.

If you ask me, that covers every single car in every single class in the NOPI / BOTI Except for Don Nase JR, sorry Donny!!!

The majority of the cars in the Team USA vs Team PR are modified Mazda 2 rotor, Toyota, Nissan, VW & Mitsubishi 4 cyl cars. With an ocasional, 3 rotor & 6 cyl.

In the bracket classes, I have seen plenty of fwd participation and have seen a honda win in a few occasions.

The 40K people that spectate and participate at the Pan Ams, also populate the stands and staging lanes at NOPI & BOTI events in Atco, E-Town, MIR & VA.

Over 90% of these people buy ECU's, boost controllers, turbos, bov, wg, pistons, rods, gaskets, clutches, flywheels, valve train components and so forth for their Hondas, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishis and so forth.

So how is the Pan American crowd not a part of the same demographic that you would market to for a NOPI / BOTI race???
Old 05-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think everything should be cheaper (of course ).it seems every year three or four guys run the class and fifteen guys are building something to compete but by the time those fifteen are done,it's next season already.and by then those four guys are faster again and the fifteen that rebuilt are right back to where they were the previous season how is that fun.you have spent all your money and time and sacrifice family and everything else and for what.most of them guys just give up. i think if prices on parts were lower everyone could afford to be compete.the sponsered guys as well as the privateers.witch would make for closer races witch would draw more fans.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:10 PM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: (Drag Race Inc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drag Race Inc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I talked with Ron about this a couple of days ago. I think one of the answers might be to rethink the current class structures from top to bottom. Maybe the first focus should be redoing classes with a focus on short and long term cost control. Major League Soccer setup their league this way and it worked. They started small and forced owners to play within a budget. They knew that some people could come in and out spend and put everyone on a level playing field. They also knew that stands wouldn't be filled right away. It wasn't until crowds increased that the league started to increase the budget that the teams could spend. The NHL also followed this model and within a very short time after a strike the teams are profitable, they have a good balance of teams, and the stands are full because of good play on the ice. These leagues and their model could also be a good model to follow to rebuild sport compact drag racing.

The other thing, you need to figure out a set of rules that include old car and new cars. I mentioned to Ron my idea of dropping the current Hot Rod class (since it is just short of Pro FWD right now based upon cost) and turning it into more of a outlaw sport fwd class. Setup a no wheelie bar, 26" tire limit, street car based (glass, no one piece front ends, etc) but with a lower weight limit and no other rules beyond that and just let the best car win. This class would encompass a lot of the current top cars. It could also bring out some of the old cars hot rod cars from back in the day that are not that cut up. You can then create a new sport fwd class with some tweaks to lower costs and also limit that class so that you don't allow any sponsorship on the car. You could even contact a Bullseye, Precision, or a Garrett to sponsor the new sport fwd class to create a spec turbo. I think the creation of these two classes can bring back some old cars, move some other cars around and create two classes of good racing that also have a strong number of cars at every event.

In order to survive you are going to have to rethink everything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think the idea of an "run what you brung" class with 26" tires and only a few other rules is an awesome idea. A family friend of mine used to race IHRA alcohol funny cars but stopped a few years ago. He now works helping other teams out and has recently gone to some ADRL races. He told me those are a ton more fun than all the IHRA and NHRA races he's been to. Not only is it cool to see all the different setups, but nobody is complaining about rules left and right.

I like the idea of a few structured sportsman classes but also having an Outlaw FWD class.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:11 PM

Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (NOPIMAN)

That was a very good gesture NOPIMAN.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (rbergenholtz)

a good gesture indeed. a rising tide raises ALL the ships.
-Roger
Old 05-26-2008, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (E-Town4229)

I've always been a fan of OUTLAW STYLE racing before it was considerd OutLaw.....
I feel having an OUTLAW CLASS For FWD cars is and will be the best way to go to get a ton of more racers out there. SOme omany people cry about they can't compete because of the rules....well....lets see what they cry abou tnow when there isn't any rules.... in 10.5 outlaw they have 2 rules..RUN ON 10.5 tires and weigh 3000#'s WHATS SO HARD ABOUT THAT!!!!!! If we come up with a set of rules for FWD cars i thin k we will have a HIT!!!!

I'm also a fan of INDEX racing as well. This will also help the sport grow for both competitiors and fans. It will give every one a chance to race heads up and it will guarentee som good heads up and side by side racing.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (BoogieDownBrown)

Leave the Hotrod class alone. I view hotrod as equal to modified class. Were right where we should be in regards to profwd. As is modified to prorwd. All the pro classes are good. The **** I hate about the events is watching anything slower than sportfwd.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (BoogieDownBrown)

I love the idea of an Outlaw Turbo Street class!!!!!
Old 05-26-2008, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

weather has been a big factor this year
almost every single event has had rain.
which tends to scare away people from atttending
Old 05-26-2008, 07:18 AM

Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (HR-1320)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HR-1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Leave the Hotrod class alone. I view hotrod as equal to modified class. Were right where we should be in regards to profwd. As is modified to prorwd. All the pro classes are good. The **** I hate about the events is watching anything slower than sportfwd. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree that it wouldn't that popular but there is a very large divide between the have and the have nots in the current hot rod class. My idea is to create a class that will encompass both the current have not hot rod cars with the current haves in the sport fwd class. With the right rules you would have a very competitive very exciting class, in my personal opinion. With this class and a little slower (and cheaper) sport fwd class you can start to see an increase in racer counts.

I would also play around with the idea of doing a fwd vs rwd class, like pro fwd vs modified. The cars are pretty close to each other and it would be very exciting racing.

I think if you can redo the classes so that they are cheaper both in building the car but also controlling costs in the future that will give you a solid foundation for a new series. Once you have that foundation it will give you better racing and once you have full class with close racing you will see the attendance really start to come back. If you charge them a fair price to get in ($5 on Saturday, $10 on Sunday, $12 for both days) you are going to start to see sport compact drag racing come back.

I also would lower the entry fee for the race teams and wouldn't charge more than $20 for car, driver, and 2 crew members. I would also let in teams that traveled over 250 miles in for free. Back in the day, promoters at circle tracks would give $50 to race teams that traveled for gas money so this would be a similar idea just to help out a little bit with the overall costs.

One of my other ideas, we need to develop a trophy like the Wally. We need to develop a trophy that honors the past. I have my Wally's in my family room above my fire place because I am very proud to have won them and because they mean something. I am proud to explain to people that come over what they mean and history behind it. Sport compact doesn't have that iconic trophy and as silly as it sounds, it could also help bring in more racers.

I know these might be all out-of-the-box ideas but I don't see any other way to bring back sport compact.

Modified by Drag Race Inc at 9:24 AM 5/26/2008
Old 05-26-2008, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (Drag Race Inc)

we keep talking about cars...specifically who would come back and race? who are the has been drivers?

as far as all motor....one person has spoken on why they do not compete anymore. i dont know why skunk2(2 cars), Erick Aguilar(1 car) arent out at the track. where is mark brauning? Norman's insight is just about ready, Where is Bisi this year? there is an Insight in indy that is ready to race, a RSX in the bay area...there have been a few all motor projects posted in the past year or two that should be ready for 09. There is the rest of the class. where are all the east coast all motor cars? its been mainly the west coast guys traveling(jeremy, kelley, leslie).

the cost to race has gone up that has deterred people, but there are always the street classes or brackets.

honestly the motivation on the west coast is down this year...not enough races due to an imbalanced schedule.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cdr, your opinion is retarded. the have and have nots ? WTF does that mean ?

there are privateers going almost as fast as sponsored, factory backed, teams/cars.

where did the "lets change the class" topic come about? surely giving us another class to choose from is NOT going to get more spectators in the stands.... in fact, it will further hold people up from coming out to the playground, because they are spending all of their hard earned cash on building a new car for this new class

get your head back on topic..... GET PEOPLE IN THE STANDS &lt;&lt;--- that is the topic.... NOT "LETS START OVER"
Old 05-26-2008, 08:16 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by f@sth@tch89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

as far as the b-series guy being unable to compete...i cannot speak on why folks did or did not step up to the newest motor with the better technology. We all know K-series is the motor to use. If street guys can pull off a k-series EG/EK swap, how come a self proclaimed all motor pro racer couldnt make the switch? The problem that i see is that we are still young as an industry. Now you have the gu/gals that go k-series and the B, D, H series guys all crying unfair. First it was complaining about the VWs, then Jesus padilla, now folks are ran off from within...The K-series motor. Not all k-series competitors are on the same level. No easy fix to this. Money dictates motorsports performance or lack there of.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who are you referring to in this quote?

Quick Reply: How do you increase attendance in the stands?