Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

How do you increase attendance in the stands?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (bergenholtzracing)

I didnt read all of the suggestions but heres something that came to mind.
Powerade charges about $50 to get in, they have alot of stuff to do in the pits not to mention some good drag racing. The powerade races I've gone to there is families of 5 that come out to the races for the first time just to see how it all works, if you think about it, thats a lot of money to be spending for something your not even sure if you like. So yes, people will pay the money to come out but you've gotta make it worth it. There is also people who won't come out and pay alot to get in, so you need to find a happy medium somewhere. I know that myself and probably most of the people on this board go to watch the racing but if your wanting spectators your gonna have to find something else for them to do as well...and I dont mean bikini contests.

Incentives would also be good. Best reaction time, best appearing pit crew, closest margain of victory, fan challenges?????????? Just throwing out some ideas.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (bergenholtzracing)

NO matter how much we love what were doing, we have to face the fact that it is a business. In business, marketing is second only to the quality of your product. I say this because you could have the absolute best product in the world but if the customers don’t know of your product, your not selling it.

The marketing that has been done for Sport Compact racing in the past has worked to a certain degree but it has failed as well. It failed to continue bringing in new fans and expanding the demographic base. I also feel like Sport Compact Marketing failed to turn up the heat when our momentum reached it’s lowest point and drifting received the momentum exploding them into the lime light.

I call the current marketing efforts complimentary. I say this because the efforts are minimal as if we had a major brand as Coke or Pepsi. Radio ads and flyers work well for them because 90% of households across the U.S. are familiar with them. And even though they have this level of notoriety, they will have marketing blitzes to continually grow consumer awareness and demographic growth.

How many people in the U.S. are really familiar with the NOPI / BOTI / former NHRA Sport Compact brand? How many people are familiar with Sport Compact Racing? The ones who are familiar with Sport Compact Racings introduction came with the F&F movies. So how do these people feel about our sport? Do they even recognize it as a sport? If given a chance, would they attend one of our events? If given the chance to attend an event, at what point would the entertainment value be worth their hard earned dollars? Would spectators attend if the entrance fee was $50.00? $40.00? $30.00? $20.00? $10.00? Free? If a family with kids attended one of our events, would the parents be offended by the bikini show? How many other forms of motorsport have a bikini show? Why is the bikini show ran during any sort of racing? Why is there such a huge disparity between teams? Why is racer A running a whole 2 to 3 seconds faster than racer B? Why are most of the cars out there with out sponsors?

If we answer these questions and more, we can begin to figure out where our old spectators went and why we are not building a new spectator base.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (FrankieFive)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FrankieFive &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The way I see it is to ask yourself how did you get involved in this scene?

we grew up in it, i was only 7. i love the starions, supra, honda prelude, and the corolla's

What made you become interested back in the day when they called it Import Drag Racing?

plain and simple i had every single print media know to the import world.

turbo magazine
sport compact car
tmr
rpm magazine
super street
import tuner
national dragster i was a muscle head too
option and option 2 mags.

So how do you get people back in the seat and more racers out the track? I think we need to educate the youth about this sport have BOTI and NOPI do promotion at local schools near the markets where they can strive. It’s sad to say but as we grow older so does the sport and if you don’t feed it to younger generations how will the sport survive?

you educate the next generation of drivers and builders. i personally work with hish school auto programs all last year til now. its been a great experience, support your local r.o.p., and see how much of you guys are willing to help sport compact, not just cry about it...

I can go on and on so if you wanna discuss further PM me and I can give my insight on how to make this sport continue to grow.

please put your input in, everything helps

Oh and it also takes more then H-T to get the word out!
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-22-2008, 03:45 PM

$1.00 Hot Dogs sounds like a great idea!!
Old 05-22-2008, 05:17 PM
H-T Administrator

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: (MrParks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MrParks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you educate the next generation of drivers and builders. i personally work with hish school auto programs all last year til now. its been a great experience, support your local r.o.p., and see how much of you guys are willing to help sport compact, not just cry about it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Parker, for once I think you actually hit the nail on the head. It's already been well said in here, that if people don't know what you have, they can't possibly want to be a part of it. Or buy it for that matter. There are still people out there that have no clue that we actually drag race FWD cars, and they laugh when you tell them. Usually they stop laughing when you tell them that FWD's are SMASHING (not just knocking)on the 6 second door.

I think that everyone that's involved with Spo-Com (man I hate that term) drag racing should be held responsible for helping grow our sport. Start telling people about it. Go to your local high school (with a car if you can) and talk to the autoshop teachers, tell them that you're willing to help out teaching the kids about our sport FOR FREE and that you're willing to help secure parts from a source if they choose to build a car. Getting people to know what we do, and why and how is our job. We all have to do our part. I live right across the street from a High school and I've been trying to do this since the day we moved in. But the shop teacher doesn't want anything to do with racing, doesn't mean I have stopped trying

Just my .02
Old 05-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Clayton)

thanks Clayton, i appreciate it. i know my spelling was a little off earlier, but thats cuz i was using toms computer. its not user friendly, not to mention his key board looks like a ferocious tiger tried to eat it.. .

but this is what i was getting at. people in this industry are so quick to judge and point fingers when they have no clue about whats really going on. then on top of that, give suggestions on possible solutions in fixing the problem, but wont go out of there own way to do so. ive heard people say fork out the money for free tickets, racer entries, crew, food, you car, give us your left nut sack. lol its easier said then done...

this can easily be fixed if you guys have motivation, and be passionate about what you do for fun, or as a profession. maybe im just too ambitious..... well all it takes is just one person to be interested and follow suit. the feeling i personally get is overwhelming at times but i know im doing the right thing, and is actually paying off. remember, these next generation of drivers/builders is what makes or breaks this industry. you cant open a book to learn sport compact you have to live it, for dam sure love it in order to survive.

we pay the price to go racing, its not cheap. but its what we all love to do right? or why do it... to appeal to a spectator looking from the outside in, you have to educate them first in order to make it appealing.( ie: if your into ping pong and try to get people to come watch you play, you have to educate them first to make them understand why you love it so much and would like to share that with them... aka "sparking interest") its alot of work. but its something we all have to do, in order to produce fan base.

could you guys imagine if there was no more bergenholtz, rado, and tran? how about gardella and ladwig? think about it...

80% of the members or comments on here will still go on doing what they want to do. personal sacrifice and devotion to this sport is whats needed.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the Pan-Americans in Atco never have attendance issues.....infact there are so many people there that I feel un comfortable with no where to sit or stand to watch the races
they've been going on for 15 years strong

Old 05-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (NOPIMAN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOPIMAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe your racing in the wrong place....</TD></TR></TABLE>

no were not..... you are nopiman. maybe before you open your mouth about racing you should actually try it out and find the real perspective about what your racers want.....

careful.. your about to open up a can of worms......

Modified by MrParks at 2:13 PM 5/23/2008
Old 05-23-2008, 02:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (MrParks)

hey Parks. i need an educated crew for 2 cars, can you help us out ?
Old 05-23-2008, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (DaveF)

Dave I'll be at Atco, if you need help, I can do oil changes.

Hey I've even changed an axle or 2.

From what I've seen getting help at the track is easy.

I think we need to get the word out to the local kids that there is an event coming and may be the local tracks need to do a better job of advertising or working with the school systems to let the kids know it's not that difficult to come out and race in a safe enviroment, not on the street.

May be this goes to the need for more tracks. Good luck with that one.

Modified by 1992Si at 1:05 PM 5/23/2008
Old 05-23-2008, 07:03 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MrParks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no were not..... you are nopiman. maybe before you open your mouth about racing you should actually try it out and find the real perspective about what your racers want.....

http://www.sourceinterlinkmedia.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe nopiman wouldn't make comments like that if certain people weren't so determined to tear down their series since the announcement at SEMA. There is a group of people that had enough influence to bring this sport 100% together and form a single national series and start to turn things around for not only their own good but everyones good. Instead they decided to not only race elsewhere they tried convincing as many people as possible of the same exact thing. I know that I ended my involvement because of this attitude and I think that many others did as well. There was an organization started that should benefit every racer involved in sport compact drag racing and instead it turned into a lobby group for a race series.

To me it seems like some people need to wise up and realize that lobbying for one series over another only causes more issues. The smartest people I know learn from the past and invent the future. Look at how well the the split of IRL and CART went. NOPI and the NHRA had and did the same thing for several years. NOPI and the NHRA finally came together (and I mean that very loosely) and all people did was try to continue traveling down the same road by putting their efforts behind another series. After years of having the same arguments, debates, and bull sh*t they did their best to keep it going. Looking at the past should have been a wake up call to everyone but I guess it wasn't to everyone.

Maybe some people need to put their personal sh*t behind them and if they really want to see this sport grow and succeed and join everyone else in promoting (rather than tearing down) and racing in a single national series. I think it is very clear who the leader is in the sport compact drag racing right now. This is no disrespect to any other series, the car counts and attendance numbers don't lie.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (Drag Race Inc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drag Race Inc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

maybe nopiman wouldn't make comments like that if certain people weren't so determined to tear down their series since the announcement at SEMA. There is a group of people that had enough influence to bring this sport 100% together and form a single national series and start to turn things around for not only their own good but everyones good. Instead they decided to not only race elsewhere they tried convincing as many people as possible of the same exact thing. I know that I ended my involvement because of this attitude and I think that many others did as well. There was an organization started that should benefit every racer involved in sport compact drag racing and instead it turned into a lobby group for a race series.

To me it seems like some people need to wise up and realize that lobbying for one series over another only causes more issues. The smartest people I know learn from the past and invent the future. Look at how well the the split of IRL and CART went. NOPI and the NHRA had and did the same thing for several years. NOPI and the NHRA finally came together (and I mean that very loosely) and all people did was try to continue traveling down the same road by putting their efforts behind another series. After years of having the same arguments, debates, and bull sh*t they did their best to keep it going. Looking at the past should have been a wake up call to everyone but I guess it wasn't to everyone.

Maybe some people need to put their personal sh*t behind them and if they really want to see this sport grow and succeed and join everyone else in promoting (rather than tearing down) and racing in a single national series. I think it is very clear who the leader is in the sport compact drag racing right now. This is no disrespect to any other series, the car counts and attendance numbers don't lie.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (1992Si)

Back when this was a grassroots sport there seemed to be more excitement about the events, maybe because of the way people approached marketing.

There is nothing wrong with just flooding the area with flyers for the events, hell go to a mall and put a flyer on ever car you see that is lowered or has an exhaust... I think that the majority of the public are not aware that these events are taking place, so you have to go to where these people are and make them aware.

On a seperate note, you could always hype up the rivalries to try to get people in the stands. Take for instance the grudge racing that goes down in the south http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC2JTnD0Noc
I know that I wold love to go out and watch those events just for the show...
Old 05-23-2008, 07:37 AM
King of the One Liners

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drag Race Inc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is no disrespect to any other series, the car counts and attendance numbers don't lie.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now refresh my memory . . How many events have you actually attended this year, to see this first hand?

Give Boti a chance, I personally believe they are headed in the right direction and Atco will prove this.

For someone who says that people need to put their personal stuff behind them, you took a nice parting shot . . .
Old 05-23-2008, 08:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (2fastGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2fastGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

For someone who says that people need to put their personal stuff behind them, you took a nice parting shot . . .</TD></TR></TABLE>keep in mind he also has a self proclaim ban on the drag racing forum because of the sponsor of the forum, way to keep your personal stuff aside
Old 05-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Clayton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Clayton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Parker, for once I think you actually hit the nail on the head. It's already been well said in here, that if people don't know what you have, they can't possibly want to be a part of it. Or buy it for that matter. There are still people out there that have no clue that we actually drag race FWD cars, and they laugh when you tell them. Usually they stop laughing when you tell them that FWD's are SMASHING (not just knocking)on the 6 second door.

I think that everyone that's involved with Spo-Com (man I hate that term) drag racing should be held responsible for helping grow our sport. Start telling people about it. Go to your local high school (with a car if you can) and talk to the autoshop teachers, tell them that you're willing to help out teaching the kids about our sport FOR FREE and that you're willing to help secure parts from a source if they choose to build a car. Getting people to know what we do, and why and how is our job. We all have to do our part. I live right across the street from a High school and I've been trying to do this since the day we moved in. But the shop teacher doesn't want anything to do with racing, doesn't mean I have stopped trying

Just my .02</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have gotten my old high school teacher behind me, gotten kids excited about it, used my own money to get shell, and what happened? when i tried to lobby support from local dealers, large warehouses, parts manufacters, etc. i got turned down. it was a simple easy setup that could have been put together with very little money and support. There is not alot of support for the sport compact racers from parts manufacters. I remeber back in the early and late 90's when my dad raced comp, companies would just send us free parts to try there new parts and see if they worked. if they did we scored a free part if not we gave them some info and they took it that info and did something with it. ITS ALL ABOUT SUPPORT
Old 05-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Chris, sometimes its difficult to understand some of the things that happened before. i hate to be the one to bare bad news, but this has gone on too long to take stabs at this industry. you know first hand what is going on, you just dont want to be part of it, and i understand. but look at the big picture here dude, its more then just a legal issue, its highway robbery. this effects us all as a industry and to sport compact drag racing, especially business owners like yourself who are directly involved in drag racing.

maybe me and others should have clarified the story before we went into this together. i apologize for that. i can see where your coming from, without the full story nothing really made sense, except that it didnt lol. no matter what, its your opinion. i can only give you the truth to the matter, you can take it however you want.

p.s. we know who really is on top, but that doesnt matter if you cant keep moving foward....... and soon enough you guys will understand. til then the truth hurts...

Old 05-23-2008, 10:25 AM

I did speak with someone and they did clarify their personal motivations and did clear some things up for me. It doesn't change what I said but the current picture is now more clear. I have been dedicated to this industry and sport for long than I like to say. Unless some major changes happen and happen soon you will not see organized sport compact drag racing other than at your local race track and the single one off events here and there.

My comments also come from the frustration of seeing it almost succeed and then turn into what it is today. So some people can try and call me out, call my dedication into question, or even try to read into what I say. The fact is, I am dedicated to this industry and have been for over half my life. I love this industry and I love the sport of drag racing. My passion might rub people the wrong way and that is fine, I am not out to make friends, I am out to see this industry and this sport rise to the level that it can be. Sorry if I offended any and every one at one point or other. If I really wasn't dedicated or didn't care, I wouldn't have spent all the time that I have behind the scenes trying to make changes. You can only bang your head against a wall for so long before you get loopy.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (DaveF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaveF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey Parks. i need an educated crew for 2 cars, can you help us out ? </TD></TR></TABLE>

no problem. if your willing to have kids work on your car, teach team as they go along, fix what they broke and teach them why it did, explain what the differences are in a certain product, make sure they are paying attention, practice safety in the work environment, show them logs, why you use them, and clean up after them... there is much more but that about sums it up. and remember some of these students dont even know what a Philips head is....

Modified by MrParks at 11:44 AM 5/23/2008
Old 05-23-2008, 10:30 AM

What's a Philips head? Who the hell is Phillip?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mec. pedri)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mec. pedri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the Pan-Americans in Atco never have attendance issues.....infact there are so many people there that I feel un comfortable with no where to sit or stand to watch the races
they've been going on for 15 years strong
</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya and the pan-americans doesnt reflect the whole sport compact industry as a whole. the spectators and racers in that series are not the same market as the rest of the nation. thats just another local thing on its own. can't compare.

I'd brag about the PSCA and other local stuff too here in CA, but its not the same demographics that we are looking at in our industry. Its basically apples and oranges.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:07 AM

Default Re: How do you increase attendance in the stands? (og asr)

Come to watch he cars
Come to se the drivers perform...

Old 05-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AR Fab)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AR Fab &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Support your local economy by racing at your hometown 1/8mile or 1/4mile track...</TD></TR></TABLE>

The closest thing we have here in CT is 100 ft drags at waterford speedbowl..

Other then that we have to go to lebanon in NY, NE dragway, E-town or Atco.

We go as much as we can, but distance can be killer at times too..
Old 05-23-2008, 01:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (rota92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LVD isn't bad, just sort of a dumpy track/setup/staff/mullet heads to deal with on a weekly basis.

New England Dragway has a 10.5 Tire class I'm going to run next season I think, take a ton of boost out so it won't get hurt and just have a blast. Then maybe those guys will show up to BOTI and Nopi if they get interested.

That world of domestic guys isn't too aware of us still, and that's a shame.</TD></TR></TABLE>hey when you get a rachet thrown at you coming down the return road then we will talk about redneck mullet men lol
Old 05-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MrParks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Modified by MrParks at 2:13 PM 5/23/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

my 2 cents.. I don't see this sport really coming back up till the economy gets better. Not for spectators but for racers. Money is what makes the world go a round. And right now gas prices and living cost has gone up quite high. I know alot of racers that have put their cars in storage because money issues. Now if you have big backers for your team then your good to go. But for small people its not that easy. Live in a house or a race car. Have a race car or provide for your fam. Get it? The choice is not hard. As far spectaters. Thats a diffrent story. Most feel the pinch to. But there pockets don't have to run a race team or worry about breaking parts. Its mostly getting the event out to the people. And keeping them entertained. And most people coming to the races are people that have the same car as whats raced on the track. And inturn they will want to try what they see. Which in turns means more racers will brings more spectaters. This is how i see it. I remember when Frank started this whole boti movement that alot of people bit off of and stab him in the back. I was at the first one. And it was banging. But times were diffrent back then and things were cheaper. Things are not going to get better for anybody hosting a event. Being that if Nopi, boti, or anybody unless the market is better period.

Modified by wrx-killer-Sti-eater at 3:10 PM 5/23/2008

Quick Reply: How do you increase attendance in the stands?