Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Has NOPI cancelled the Rest Of the Season

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (SpeedDreamz.com)

Sorry you guys if this is true. An early ending on the eastcoast.

NHRA was quite upset the past few months. They are backing our race in Utah in 2 weeks, maybe prospecting??? HMMM Could there be a return of NHRA Sport Compact Racing next Season? Anything can happen guys. But just wishfull thinking here.
We need to start emailing Mr. Peterson to see what they could do for our sport.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:43 PM

Default Re: (Antilag)

CMI is a perfect example of how to keep things going has well has BOTI. All you guys need to look at what these companies have done there is money to be made next year for east coast and midwest racers with some business skills and desire. Nopi was a joke from day.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, bummer.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:25 PM

Default Re: (boostedh22a)

How sad....

Frank... we need you
Old 07-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: (Jeff @ Tempest)

Hey guys, remember this is a business decision if they decide to cancel the enitre year.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jeff @ Tempest)

when is gardella's pro stock car coming out? he saw this coming.

good thing i have been going by the comp eliminator rules for the new car.

rota looks like division 1 is going to be fun.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (ciscoscivic)

I think it's safe to say that if they do cancel the remainder of the year, they won't bother coming back next year because nobody in their right minds will support them, pro racers at least.

Might do ok with a national bikini contest and jello wrestling event though. Overhead would be way lower and probably bring in the same amount of spectators.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rota92)

I think its safe to say most saw this one coming with the recent actions of NOPI over the last couple months.

lovin the sig ryan
Old 07-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, since PasswordJDM sponsors the NOPI series and I'm the point of contact for them, i called NOPI earlier today. (actually, I've been calling pretty much every other day for the past 2 weeks).

I talked to Dion Pressey (Event Director) and she reassured me that the last 3 events would still go on as will NOPI National Car show. She said "as far as she knows they were still on." and that nobody told her otherwise.

I certainly hope for this to be true.(that the events will still happen.

Also, on a side note, I've been in contact with NHRA National Tech to get my car and other cars on the accepted body lists so that we can race NHRA Lucas Oil Super Stock.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rota92)

that sux some one from nopi should say something weather is cancelled or not
Old 07-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bamboosted)

I talked to them today and was told they had heard nothing about any events being cancelled as far as they knew it was still on.

Could this be a ploy by some to discredit Nopi in hopes to decrease their racer turnout for the remaining events?? I have questions of my own. Just because someone starts a thread on the internet does not automatically make it true.

What if someone started a similar thread about another sanctioning body and no one responded overnight? It would be 10 pages long by morning full of hating.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpeedDreamz.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Could this be a ploy by some to discredit Nopi in hopes to decrease their racer turnout for the remaining events?? I have questions of my own. Just because someone starts a thread on the internet does not automatically make it true.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
That would be pretty bad indeed. Not just for NOPI or anyone for that matter. But did you read the article on SpeedTV.com? From reading that article, it sounds like they have more insight than most of us. But like you said it is the internet. Even if it is Speed Channel.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (SOHCinWA)

With the way nopi left everyone in the dark about the other cancelations you can't blame anybody for jumping to conclusions.

If this same post happened at this time last year about NHRA would anyone have believed it?

What's sad is that not many are doubting it this time...
Old 07-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpeedDreamz.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I talked to them today and was told they had heard nothing about any events being cancelled as far as they knew it was still on.

What if someone started a similar thread about another sanctioning body and no one responded overnight? It would be 10 pages long by morning full of hating.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with you. fact is no one can change what is goin to happen so just let it ride out. If for some reason NOPI does fold I hope BOTI does step up and add some classes or maybe run index classes.

Everyone is hurting right now with money so just see what NOPI does and hope for the best.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Antilag)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Antilag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry you guys if this is true. An early ending on the eastcoast.

NHRA was quite upset the past few months. They are backing our race in Utah in 2 weeks, maybe prospecting??? HMMM Could there be a return of NHRA Sport Compact Racing next Season? Anything can happen guys. But just wishfull thinking here.
We need to start emailing Mr. Peterson to see what they could do for our sport.</TD></TR></TABLE>

come to ut. show that sport compact race is
not going away we just need to show up race not just talk , race!!!!!!! we need
national rules not a national series. I think it's the price of fuel to travel that killing
the series we need like east. west series

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2335882

Modified by fast is fun at 10:53 PM 7/9/2008
Old 07-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fast is fun)

i guess its a wait and see game. i hope its not true only because i think it would really put a black eye on sports compact drag racing. we lost a lot of good drivers to the lucas oil and powerade series. now folks are going pro mod and ADRL. i do feel we need one series where there is one set of rules, but will it be enough?

i feel even if NOPI finishes the season that they want be back next year.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: (f@sth@tch89)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by f@sth@tch89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i guess its a wait and see game. i hope its not true only because i think it would really put a black eye on sports compact drag racing. we lost a lot of good drivers to the lucas oil and powerade series. now folks are going pro mod and ADRL. i do feel we need one series where there is one set of rules, but will it be enough?

i feel even if NOPI finishes the season that they want be back next year.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lets not forget the series still has a lot of good drivers, the big names have moved on. I'm confident BOTI will step up where needed as well as NHRA with opening up classes to allow those that want to build cars to have a class to race in. Good Luck Francsico.

I'm sure NHRA see's the aging of there racers.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fast is fun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fast is fun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

we need national rules not a national series. I think it's the price of fuel to travel that killing
the series we need like east. west series

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think this is the way to go. Fuel prices and the state of the economy is affecting everyone.. including racers. I don't see relief anytime soon either.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Miss PSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Miss PSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think this is the way to go. Fuel prices and the state of the economy is affecting everyone.. including racers. I don't see relief anytime soon either.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. When it affects us it also affects business' like NOPI, Best Buy, and Sears.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:45 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

Default Re: (BoostR41)

one safe bet is that None of Nopi's reps will come on here and confirm. lol
Old 07-10-2008, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SIXTYdashONE)

they just held a drift event in ohio a week or 2 ago. if that means anything ??
Old 07-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DaveF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaveF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they just held a drift event in ohio a week or 2 ago. if that means anything ??</TD></TR></TABLE>

June 7th was the last event. Before they announced any cancellations.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Slapshotnerd)

hmm ok.

just checked again, that was the date of added content to the site, and the added date for the nopi stuff was 6-12

http://topspeedtuning.com/coppermine/index.php
Old 07-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

come to think of it. Lately my in box have more emails that the usual from NOPI advertising blow out sales and others.

All we need is 1 major player. I like Battle right now. But IFO has the grass roots racers excited. Besides at the rate we are loosing our pro racers to other venues. By next year we may only have sportsman racers left with interest.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo Ric)

maybe with no Pro Classes that follow a full series, some of the cars will actually step back to levels that some will be able to afford.

Full pro-style race cars will be built again just for fun. Not having the pressure to step up every other weekend to buy parts and more parts to make the car faster. Just build something simple and have fun with what you got.

It wont be worth it to build full Carbon fiber bodied all motor cars with $15-20K engine setups. So it might fill up all motor classes again with the street guys wanting to convert to full race cars.

Quick Reply: Has NOPI cancelled the Rest Of the Season