Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

permanent faded/chalky trim solution for 8th gen Civic (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 01:52 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default permanent faded/chalky trim solution for 8th gen Civic (pics inside)

2007 Si with ~75k on the clock

trim has never been treated, and wasn't protected with sealant or wax, such as opti-seal or optimum car wax, until it was already chalky a few years ago.

car was washed and dried, and the trim was cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and water solution to assure there was no remaining protection or chemicals.

i used a product called ReNu Finish by a company named MEDS. the claim is that it can last up to a year. my feeling is that if trim is treated properly with a high quality sealant from the beginning, this sort of product isn't needed, but many people fail to follow that protocol and end up with beat up trim - this car is a perfect example. also, i am very curious to see how ReNu Finish lasts after it is cured and then sealed. could it go further than a year and/or be truly permanent?

ReNu Finish is a little kit that includes:
- two high quality one size fits all nitrile gloves (i have huge hands and the glove fit well)
- two terry or microfiber covered foam pads for applying and buffing the product
- a little microfiber towel which according to the directons is for buffing when the stuff comes in contact with the paint
- resealable tube of product. it smells like minty chemicals, that is the best way to describe it. it's also pretty watery, but thicker than water. and, yes, it is deep black, but it is weird because when spread thin it is pretty clear and "smoke" colored. the stuff is weird, but, as you will see, it works.

i taped off the trim to protect the surrounding materials, such as glass or paint. the product seems to come off paint easily before it dries, but i didn't want any mistakes. also, i ended up using one glove, one pad and the tube. that was it. and all of that i packed away in individual little sandwich bags when i was done. there were no messes.

i applied the product and buffed it in with the "wet" side, let it sit for a minute, and then buffed with the other side of the pad. i did this twice over all of the trim. at the end, right before i pulled it out of the garage, i buffed it lightly one more time and that seemed to remove a bit of the residual shine, making it look very natural. the outside pictures below represent that. for the little holes in the windshield cowl, i used cotton swabs with the liquid applied.

before:

after:

pre-final buff and with flash

after final dry buff and outside for 15 minutes (ignore the water along the edges/corners of the windshield)

as you can see, it looks completely renewed and natural. it is rather striking, actually. the ultimate test will be durability through weather, UV and washes. i plan on sealing this in about a month so we'll see how it does before then.

UPDATE: found it available at http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=5092

Last edited by builthatch; 08-09-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: permanent faded/chalky trim solution for 8th gen Civic (pics inside)

I need to buy this kit. Like yesterday. That's quite a dramatic difference, and here in Texas cars get faded plastics before they leave the dealerships.

How long did this take you? Night and day difference. Flawless victory for you sir.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:32 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: permanent faded/chalky trim solution for 8th gen Civic (pics inside)

Originally Posted by RoadRage212
I need to buy this kit. Like yesterday. That's quite a dramatic difference, and here in Texas cars get faded plastics before they leave the dealerships.

How long did this take you? Night and day difference. Flawless victory for you sir.
whenever i see things like flawless victory i think of mortal kombat FATALITY!

lol thanks dude.

once the car was washed it took me maybe 30 minutes. it took me like 5 minutes to tape, about 20 minutes to apply and buff a couple times and about 5 minutes to get my wife to come help me get the wipers "stuck" up on the windshield so i could hit up those spots up, plus to lift the hood and tackle the very edges of the cowl as they turn in toweard the engine bay.

i'm still curious about durability by itself, and then durability once sealed. so many products have a trick to using them - for all i know multiple applications might be the trick for this one. we'll see.

i have used similar stuff on similar trim, like black again from autogeek, and you've probably heard of black wow, but this seemed different based on the claims of durability and also seemed like much more of a molecular bond type product versus a dressing.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by builthatch
whenever i see things like flawless victory i think of mortal kombat FATALITY!

i have used similar stuff on similar trim, like black again from autogeek, and you've probably heard of black wow, but this seemed different based on the claims of durability and also seemed like much more of a molecular bond type product versus a dressing.
Lol damn straight. You ripped its heart out and took a bite.

I've done the "back to black", and even the megs hyperdressing but I want to offer customers something that lasts. Definitely keep me posted on the durability without sealant, application time is right on the money.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:01 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Lol damn straight. You ripped its heart out and took a bite.

I've done the "back to black", and even the megs hyperdressing but I want to offer customers something that lasts. Definitely keep me posted on the durability without sealant, application time is right on the money.
i know what you mean. back to black is, frankly, not even in this league. hyperdressing is a really nice quickie treatment, i LOVE it for wells and engine stuff. it's great at keeping NEW things looking new, but to be restored, you know the story...

i'll def let you know how it works out.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely keep us updated! My cowl cover and all the moldings could really use something like this.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How's it looking so far BH?
Old 03-18-2011, 04:10 PM
MiG-21 superfan

How's it looking so far BH?
to be completely honest, the same as the day i did it. i haven't washed her car since, and it has seen several rain storms. the car is outside 24/7 without cover and nothing has changed :shrugs:

i will probably wash it this weekend and take a shot.

i'm very pleased with the results so far.

i spoke with the sales manager for the company and he's getting some data for me on how it actually works. apparently there is cross-linking going as it bonds to the material molecularly.

they are just getting off the ground to the consumer market so i'll have more info soon.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WIN! Did you get this in a store or online?
Old 03-19-2011, 07:33 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by trick_muffin
WIN! Did you get this in a store or online?
a friend of mine gave me a sample he got somehow. he deals with detailing and aftermarket stuff. i talked to the dude at the company and they are setting up dealers for the consumer stuff like this so i'll find out more. i think this sort of thing should be on autogeek or something so we'll see.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey do u think this will help with black trim that has dried wax on them? i taped mine up the best i could and still managed to get a little wax on the trim.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've tried stuff like this, it kind of works but maybe after 3-6 months, it'll come off.. I used this stuff instead:http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06208.html

I noticed "drip lines" on the trim pieces I prepped, which I find a little odd, may have been from some sort of detergent that was applied to the car. The whole piece doesn't look faded, just these little drip lines on certain pieces.. might post pics.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:48 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by fleabag
I've tried stuff like this, it kind of works but maybe after 3-6 months, it'll come off..
i can understand your skepticism, but your statement leads me to believe that you don't believe products can be developed to outperform previous items on the market. car detailing is an ever-evolving market. that's like the old guy saying a no-rinse or waterless wash is not safe for the paint because of what the past dictates. tell that to all the high-end detailers that use optimum no rinse or opti-clean.

i used black again prior to this, though not on this car. i didn't really have a reason to try another trim product other than to see if it was improved over black again, a highly regarded trim restoration product (similar to black wow).

we'll see what happens.

Originally Posted by c1_sleeper
hey do u think this will help with black trim that has dried wax on them? i taped mine up the best i could and still managed to get a little wax on the trim.
there are a ton of opinions on what to use for this - peanut butter, wax blaster, power clean and a tooth brush, vegetable oil and a tooth brush or terry applicator (and then clean afterwards). either way, i definitely would remove the wax before trying to use a trim restoration product.

for the future, you really should look into waxes that don't stain trim. there are a ton on the market now. optimum polymer technologies makes a really nice durable spray wax that can be applied and protects all exterior surfaces, even trim. and their sealant is even easier to use and offers superior protection.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually this was the stuff I used:http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06108.html
Old 03-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by builthatch

there are a ton of opinions on what to use for this - peanut butter, wax blaster, power clean and a tooth brush, vegetable oil and a tooth brush or terry applicator (and then clean afterwards). either way, i definitely would remove the wax before trying to use a trim restoration product.

for the future, you really should look into waxes that don't stain trim. there are a ton on the market now. optimum polymer technologies makes a really nice durable spray wax that can be applied and protects all exterior surfaces, even trim. and their sealant is even easier to use and offers superior protection.
thanks ill look into them
Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by c1_sleeper
thanks ill look into them
np. truthfully i've only had to deal with very small parts that had this condition - flares on a mini GP come to mind, and i used prep all (bootleg version of prep solvent) and a toothbrush. but that was only a small section.

Originally Posted by fleabag
actually this was the stuff I used:http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06108.html
ahh, ic. that makes more sense. back to black is commonly used but doesn't last very long, you are right. they have great market penetration though as everyone and their mom has tried it.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:25 PM
MiG-21 superfan

aight so i took some pics of it after a month. this is one wash since the original application, but several severe rain storms and just a bunch of weather, sun, etc. no garaging, etc.

still looks like new plastic really.

i washed it with optimum car wash w/ a little optimum no rinse added. nothing else was applied. and i still haven't sealed it. i think i'll just wait this out to see how long that single application lasts on what was such a terribly chalked-up trim set.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude I want this stuff so badly it hurts lol

Their website seems to still be under construction. I've tried calling but there's no luck in that either. Think your friend can get some info on what's up with these guys?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:10 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Dude I want this stuff so badly it hurts lol

Their website seems to still be under construction. I've tried calling but there's no luck in that either. Think your friend can get some info on what's up with these guys?
yeah dude i'm working on something and will have updates.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

renu is the ish
Old 04-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is some great stuff! Thanks for the write up/review!

This is something I need to add to my arsenal!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:57 AM
Trial User

Icon3 Re: permanent faded/chalky trim solution for 8th gen Civic (pics inside)

I bought this product after a friend told me about it from Gosh Products to use on my CRV and Grand Cherokee. I bought two kits, one for each. I was amazed that such a small bottle took care of all the GrChero, because it had such bad side cladding. This worked on all the black and the gray pieces. I did not tape off and used alittle window cleaner on the rag to take off any on the paint, no problem. I also had wax all over the mirrors, handles and around the bumpers, did not remove it (wax) first and the product not only removed it but covered it completely. Did this to trade in my cars, now I am going to keep them, they look newer than any preowned at a dealership. Wish they would make this available in an Auto store, everyone should know. It has been 4mos and no change in the appearance and I used it on everything even some interior pieces. I was worried it would look glossy like an armoral and not natural, but it looked like it did when new, and I can put dressing on it if I want that wet look, but we all know that will come off in a day or two so why waste the money. Who would think a lady could make a car look so wonderful. Love it !! love it !!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:33 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by Madison Crystal
I bought this product after a friend told me about it from Gosh Products to use on my CRV and Grand Cherokee. I bought two kits, one for each. I was amazed that such a small bottle took care of all the GrChero, because it had such bad side cladding. This worked on all the black and the gray pieces. I did not tape off and used alittle window cleaner on the rag to take off any on the paint, no problem. I also had wax all over the mirrors, handles and around the bumpers, did not remove it (wax) first and the product not only removed it but covered it completely. Did this to trade in my cars, now I am going to keep them, they look newer than any preowned at a dealership. Wish they would make this available in an Auto store, everyone should know. It has been 4mos and no change in the appearance and I used it on everything even some interior pieces. I was worried it would look glossy like an armoral and not natural, but it looked like it did when new, and I can put dressing on it if I want that wet look, but we all know that will come off in a day or two so why waste the money. Who would think a lady could make a car look so wonderful. Love it !! love it !!
yeah the little bottle goes a LONG way.

by the way, since i posted this originally, i found that the rally lighting guys Susquehanna are now selling this trim stuff. they sell only really high quality stuff on their site.

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=5092
Old 08-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sweeeeeeetttt i need something badass to use on my mom's 04 trailblazer exterior trim

newer chevy plastic sucks so much

just bout any dressing gets it to look good until it rains, but thats awesome, it must be nice to not have to dress a ****-ton of plastic every time you wash the trailblazer, its an extended wheelbase model too so its got even more plastic
luckilty though its in north face trim so door molding and handles are body color, its the bumpers that are shot