Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

timing belt keeps slipping (im new and female hopefully this is posted in the right)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 04:01 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt keeps slipping (im new and female hopefully this is posted in the right)

I own a 89 honda accord lxi and my timing belt keeps slipping off... I made sure the tension bolt is tight and it is...i have made sure i pushed the belt ALL the way on all the way around (turned it over by hand) and once i tightin the tension belt back up and turn the car over the belt moves over and hangs off the edge a little bit but when u watch the line on the belt it doesnt wobble or anything. Can someone PLEASE help this female figure out WHY my belt keeps slipping off... did it just settle right there on the side of the pully? if i need to take pics i will...I have only took the top timing cover off (trying to save myself the trouble of undoing that bottome pully with all my belts... but please do be honest with me.. do i need to go ahead and pull all those belts off and that bottom pully and ThEN pull that bottom timing cover off or is this something that can be fixed with me undoing the tension bolt and slide that belt over... someone PLEASE help me
Old 10-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: timing belt keeps slipping (im new and female hopefully this is posted in the rig

so 118 lurkers and no help..... I'll take a shot at it.

Did you change the belt without removing the bottom cover?

If the belt is sliding off... probably the bottom pulley is dragging it out of alignment.

We are all ADHD.... so picts are always better than a long writing.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Trial User

Default Re: timing belt keeps slipping (im new and female hopefully this is posted in the rig

well come to find out the idiot that did my timing belt last put my retaining washer behind the bottom pulley instead of infront of it... so the only thing holding my belt on was the cover (until the belt rubbed threw it). BUT what is odd is that the belt is going from the middle of the pulley and then back over to the engine side. but its not showing signs of coming off :/
Old 10-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It should have two washers on the crankshaft timing belt pulley, one in front and one in the back to keep the timing belt from moving.