Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

My Dream 85 Accord -- Is it Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Dream 85 Accord -- Is it Possible?

OK--so I'm new to this site and have never actually worked on cars before, but I have a number of friends who have a lot of experience with them. By trade, I'm a math tutor, but I worked on computers years before deciding to help kids and teens learn arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and calculus. I also have a lot of woodworking experience so I'm hoping my current mechanical skills (both computers/electronics and wood) can translate nicely to automobiles. As an academic, I do study things when I need them replaced on my cars (both current and past) so I have some idea what I'm talking about, but I'm no expert.

Anyhow, when I was a kid, our main vehicle was an 85 Accord sedan. It was the dark blue color (I want to say it was called sonic blue?) and was in our family for 15 years until the carburetor finally went. It was a rebuilt carburetor, and I'm pretty sure the guy who rebuilt it had no idea what he was doing. The only other known problem besides routine wear and tear (such as brakes--this car was driven mostly around western PA) was a timing belt which failed unexpectedly on the turnpike around ten years of age (I think this was around the 70K mark, which I know is about when you should get it replaced). This was a good, reliable vehicle, but its best years came when my mom drove it. When my dad got the car after my mom's station wagon purchase, things started falling apart. This guy was hard on cars, didn't maintain them well, and knows even less about cars than I do.

For sake of completeness, this car had a 5-speed manual, LX trim package, and the top of the line stereo available that year.

Currently, I drive a 2011 Civic. I love my car, but I'd like a backup, and I'd like to build one of these 85s from the ground up. I know someone who said they have access to some Accord shells.

Here's what I want though...so let me know if this is even feasible.

--LX body shell in the dark blue color plus the LX wheels
--The fuel-injected engine from an SE-i
--Blue interior
--5 speed manual transmission
--Anti-lock brakes pulled from the Japanese model (I think it was the 84 model year in which they had them since I know US Accords used to be a year behind Japanese ones, plus we never got ABS here--or ALB as Honda called them on the 88 Legend)
--The original stereo system (for some reason I think this will be the hardest thing to track down--I personally hate the appearance of aftermarket radios in classic/older cars)

Now, for a bit of a stretch...

--If this would even be possible through putting something else in the shell, keep the body and interior, but use a hybrid engine. Our 85 Accord got 39mpg with the stick and slightly more highway than city driving, but I would love to see if a hybridization of this body style would be possible. I know it would take a lot of work and I know I don't have the experience yet, but perhaps this could be Accord #2 after the first one gets built?

All hybridization projects aside, this is what I'd like to know...

1. How much would this thing possibly cost?
2. What would be the procedure for getting this car registered if it's a product of several old Accords?
3. Does Honda offer any new parts for this car or would I have to use aftermarket ones?
4. What's the fuel economy like on the fuel-injected engine, assuming manual transmission?
5. Would there be anything I could do on a non-hybrid Accord to make it as "green" of a car as possible?

The only other thing I'd have to do is convince my mom to let me use her garage. Currently, I live in an apartment and don't have one. She's already mad enough that I keep all my power tools over there!! Oh well, at least it's an excuse to see her son more often (also, I'm not sure what my landlord or neighbors would say about having bandsaws and drill presses, among other things, in my apartment closet).
Old 03-28-2014, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My Dream 85 Accord -- Is it Possible?

Hello there! Good backstory! When you say access to some shells, you're defining the answer to some of your own questions. The condition/completeness of the shell(s?) will define your starting point. If you haven't already, you should talk to the person and get some information. You aren't committing to anything and you'll have a better grasp on what's realistic. It's not easy to come by these cars in the junkyards from what I can tell (only been looking for 3 months though) and they have a limited run.
You have some very specific requests as well that will make it harder to find what you want.
Registration varies by state. In GA, I would register it with the original VIN from the body you use. Here, they don't do vehicle inspections and anything over 25 years old doesn't even need to have a title. That's something you would need to check for your area.
Everything else will have to be answered by someone who knows more than I do! Good luck in your search!