Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

de-vac 2ng gen civic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default de-vac 2ng gen civic?

How much of a pain is it to devac a civic 1300? anyone have any pics or advice?
Old 05-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: de-vac 2ng gen civic?

Not hard at all, there is a write up on the "other" site...
Old 05-31-2009, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I de-vaced an 83 1500 S model, should be similar to this:

De-vaccing a 2nd gen in my experience is straight forward and easy. I also removed the AC and all emissions under the hood at the same time so it might not be the same for you. I did most of this through trial and error and with a Haynes manual and the underhood vaccum diagram.

I started by removing all three of the big control boxes under the hood. I also removed the exhaust gas re-circulation control valve (I think that’s what its called, but not sure. It goes from the exhaust mani to the intake mani and then plumbs into the air cleaner) and all of the hoses that went with that. After this you have to fabricate a metal cover so you do not have an exhaust leak, sorry I don’t have pictures of the one I made but if you use the gasket as a template you should be fine. For mine I went to a hard ware store and bought a steel sheet and cut it out and bolted it on with the gasket.

I removed all the vacuum lines after this and was left with a pretty bare engine bay. I capped all of the ports on the carb that would draw a vacuum while doing this too. The only vacuum lines I left in the engine bay were the ones that went to the distributor, and the two vacuum lines that were on the passenger side of the carb that I assumed controlled the idle of the engine, not sure what they were but it ran like crap without them. I just T’ed all of them together into one of the bigger vacuum ports on the carb. If someone has a picture of the side of a carb I can circle which vacuum lines to leave on, or you can use your head and look at the vacuum diagram and do some trial and error.

The car ran fine after this, shortly after doing this though I converted to a Weber and would recommend this conversion to everyone. The Weber has only one electrical connection, one fuel line connection, and one vacuum connection along with the throttle linkage and cost only three hundred bucks.

This is just a BRIEF summary of doing a devac, this is not a complete step-by-step method! Its not hard but make sure you have another car to drive in case you get confused and don’t connect things the right way or you disconnect something you shouldn’t have. It took me 2-3 days working slow for a couple hours each day, someone with carb experience could easily do this in a day. This was also my first carbed car and I started with no experience, if I can do it, you can do it.

Here is a picture of what you need to start off removing...

And two pictures of after...

And one picture of just half of the crap you pull out...

Hope this helps you.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the post. i sent you a message before i read this post but i appreciate it. ill let you know how it goes
Old 06-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, that is a lot of crap.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah thats only about half of the crap too! Threw away about 2 big garbage bags of stuff.

You can also see in the pictures that the charcoal canister is removed...anything having to do with emissions gets removed. Hope this helps you in your devac.