Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

Big Mikes 1987 CRX Build/Resto thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Mikes 1987 CRX Build/Resto thread

hi all, my name is mike, i live in orlando, fl and im trying to get this car to look better and run great for the most part until i get the body done... then ill worry about swapping in an engine..
body pics:

Current Rust Status:

Dent:

Flipped the hood after tuning my carb:

Weber K726 DGEV 2 bbl carb on the stock intake:

a few weeks after i got it, i blew the head gasket:

So.. then a few more weeks after that my clutch starts slipping BAD.... i tighten the cable.. it drove great for about 4 days... then back to slipping... no matter if i loosened or tightened the car would no longer take off without it sounding like im trying to blow it up on purpose....

So finally after my lower ball joint gave up and left my car on the ground i got to work on all these problems...

broken ball joint:

pulling apart:

Clutch and P/P:

One Dirty TRANNY:

Now one Clean TRANNY (took too much time to get that oil off):

New Seals and flywheel (Update on Flywheel Below):

Rear Block Shot:

so after putting the new clutch in putting the whole car together, i put the battery on it and the new flywheel caused the car not to crank...... i pulled it out and noticed why i didnt need to bolt it down to torque it in... i dont know how i didnt notice at 1st....

my original, i pulled.. as you can see on the back... the inside ring around the bolt holes is perfectly round and very thin.... on the new one... its fat on one side and skinny on the other... and deeper on one side than the other..

since then i have had the car together for about a week and a half.... and my lower D/S ball joint was breaking as well... so i had to replace it as well...

ive got a new hood and a hatch from another member from here... i will update with new pics when the hood is in

my clutch has about 350 +/- miles on it... and it still makes this weird whinnin noise when i let the pedal out to take off... its only when in gear and in the motion of taking off... my dad says its the clutch disk and flywheel settling... but i think it should have quited down after 300 plus miles... i know my trip meter was at 740 now its around 90... i think im gonna try loosening the cable and see if the sound goes away....

i also get a loud click/pop when taking off fast... but im sure its from my mounts going out... cause it rocks before the click/pop

can i change the syncros in my transmission without buying the whole rebuild kit?? my 2nd gear syncro is shot..
Old 06-14-2011, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Big Mikes 1987 CRX Build/Resto thread

Glad to see someone giving some TLC to another 1st gen! They are getting pretty rare. (Up where I live anyway.) I've always enjoyed driving around and never seeing any other cars like mine out on the road. I've gotten quite a few compliments from random people too.

So question, how well did that weber carb run? One of the complaints I've always about mine was the stock carb, and the touchy idle speeds at warm up.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome find! I'm glad to see it in the hands of someone who'll take care of it.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crxguy406
Glad to see someone giving some TLC to another 1st gen! They are getting pretty rare. (Up where I live anyway.) I've always enjoyed driving around and never seeing any other cars like mine out on the road. I've gotten quite a few compliments from random people too.

So question, how well did that weber carb run? One of the complaints I've always about mine was the stock carb, and the touchy idle speeds at warm up.
the Weber K726 Runs pretty good, i live in FL and its humid here for the most part, so one day the carb will run fine, then it will run like pooh when its humid out.... then have to tweak it again.. i dont know if my jets are the correct size because im not the one that put the carb on the car the PO did... i would imagine so cause when i actually sit and adjust the settings, i can get it running Really smooth.. but then again if its Humid out... later it wont run the same..

but what ive heard, is that the original gives you better MPG.. while the weber gives you another 15 or so HP.... and i love it cause from the pics in my PB account u can tell i only have Very few wires and lines to hook up and the car is all together... no giant octopus of tenticles (Vacuum lines) here... i dont even get why my exhaust manifold has an O2 sensor...

if i drive it easy and keep the Rpms under 3k.. ill sip on the gas... but if i drive it like im in a race for the finish line...... ill Still get around 15+

a guy told me i cant bore the D15 block 40 over, he said if i do the top of the cylinder sleeve will be too thin then i will need to add something (i forgot what he said) cause i originally had in my mind to keep the D15 block, put bigger pistons and diff rods, then put the side draft webers.. hes tellin me its not worth the money, and he said id be much happier with a higher HP EFI engine.. i was reading i could get up close to 200hp with the side drafts and other mods... now i dont know which way to go... im not doing a motor yet... but ive got questions and need answers before i even decide what motor to put...

cause i was thinkin if i can get this D15 up around 180-200hp.. i will keep the engine cause i like the weber side draft idea... what are yalls input towards an engine??

one member tells me that converting the 1st gen to EFI isnt hard... but then i have to spend a ton more money dont i??

Last edited by gucci mane; 06-14-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any new pics or updates
Old 07-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes updates?
Old 08-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 03yamr6
yes updates?
im gonna swap it over if i can fix this problem, im getting a vehicle to drive cause im working for my uncle and dad doing appliance sales for them, and the cops where i just moved are looking for my CRX because theyre evil rednecks, AND its got a few problems which need to be taken care of, i intend to turn this into a Very slow, take my time project, IF repairable, and im sure if some people can turn a chunk of metal back into a car, im sure i can tackle this given enough time

First Real Problem is:

if there is a solution on how to fix this, which im sure i could come up with one, have a bent CRX hood which i could cut to weld, instead of doing a lazy bondo job.....

im asking for your guys suggestions, and what i should do about those holes, i also have:

after i take the windshield out, i could use some peices of the hood and weld new sections of metal in, thats the only route that i see possible off the top of my head, but i wanna ask the community, cause i really like CRX's and i wanna keep a 1st gen as a DD, only thing i want more than my CRX restored is a Special Edition CRX, they look sweet

in the mean time ill drive whatever my dad gives me, the 94 aspire or the festiva hes letting me drive now.. which will soon be the delivery vehicle, yes it will tow a trailer and 13 washers and dryers ive done it before...

i know RPR is the best place for 1st gen advice but i need alot of advice on how to patch this hole and whats the best way to do so, so i will ask alot of forums
Old 08-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice job so far. That hole's no big deal if you can weld. Judging by your mechanical ability I'd say welding would be a walk in the park for you.