Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

91 Honda Civic DX 2-Dr Hatchback - Rough Idle - HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Honda Civic DX 2-Dr Hatchback - Rough Idle - HELP PLEASE

My son just got his first car. It's a 1991 Honda Civic DX 2-Door Hatchback, with the 1.5L SOHC engine. The car has sat in a field for 11 years. The former owner didn't remember much, but said it did the same thing when she stopped driving it (that's why she abandoned it). So I don't think it has anything to do with the time it has sat. I pulled off the timing belt cover and determined that (while not running) the timing was right on (timing marks lined up perfectly, belt was tight and in good condition, and #1 cylinder was at top dead center (TDC)). We've replaced the ignition cap / rotor, plug wires / plugs, and air filter (almost all of the obvious, general maintenance stuff), and it still idles rough. Generally, when it first starts (engine is cold), it starts right up, and runs pretty well. It runs VERY well over 1500 RPMs. Then, when engine gets warm after about 3 mins, the idle RPMs drop, and it runs roughly. If we take it for a drive, it's all you can do to keep it running at a stop sign/light (it will start right up again, but you need to pump the gas and keep the RPMs up to get it going). We have a new fuel filter and Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) for it, but haven't installed them yet.

I can work on / rebuild / etc any old Chevy, Dodge, or Ford, but I don't know SQUAT about these little Japanese engines...I need some help. First of all, what is a "dizzy" (I see that in a lot of posts). Next, how would one go about "cleaning / replacing" the fuel injectors. Furthermore, does this car have a mechanical or electrical fuel pump, and where the hell is it located ? And, finally, what other components would one check / replace (in addition to the ones listed) for these symptoms ?

THANKS in advance to all you Honda experts that enjoy helping out us non-Honda idiots...

Craig
Old 03-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 91 Honda Civic DX 2-Dr Hatchback - Rough Idle - HELP PLEASE

This belongs in the CRX/EF Civic forum. Dizzy = distributor. Fuel pump is accessible for testing under the rear seat, tank has to come out to remove it, it is electrical. If you have good compression, yeah next is spark/fuel pressure check when the problem is occurring. You can unplug injectors 1 at a time, plug wires 1 at a time with engine running to isolate non firing cylinder. If it can't be isolated there is a fuel mix problem; vacuum leak, etc..
Old 04-01-2010, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

THANK YOU ! I'll use your advice and information to continue troubleshooting. Your post should save me a BUNCH of time ! Thanks again for helping me out.

Best Wishes,

Craig
Old 04-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1grex
This belongs in the CRX/EF Civic forum.
Agreed. That car is far from "old school."

Hope you get the issue taken care of, though.